Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afrocleland

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Glasgow
I know this isn't news, but today was the first time I used mine continuously for many hours. I did about 6-7 constant with half brightness using Citrix Safari plug in to use my office PC. Obviously not an intensive task, but I had 65% left afterwards. I was even switching desktop to mac occasionally to do some non-worky stuff. Very happy with it. If only my iphone could be as good!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I give 70% kudos to Intel and 30% to Apple.

Am sure Apple would like Intel making their next iPhone processor than archival Samsung.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
The way I look at it is a Honda Civic will be more efficient than let's say a V6 Honda Accord. So you get a better gas mileage on a more efficient car which represents the Air. Just my humble opinion.

yosemit

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Probably not very precise. The CPU performance of Air is almost the same as 13-in Pro (i5 vs i5 or i7 vs i7). It is pretty powerful among laptop computers.

The way I look at it is a Honda Civic will be more efficient than let's say a V6 Honda Accord. So you get a better gas mileage on a more efficient car which represents the Air. Just my humble opinion.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I give 70% kudos to Intel and 30% to Apple.

I don't know exactly why the MBA got such a battery boost with Haswell, but for some reason Windows Ultrabooks are only getting a little over half its battery life despite having a similar CPU/screen/battery capacity. That's quite a massive difference.

For example, engadget tested the MBA's battery life at 12:51 (that's before Mavericks, so it's probably better now), while some Ultrabooks are still in the 6-7 hours range, some of them with Haswell. I'd be curious to know what factors (software I assume?) give such a large discrepancy.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I don't know exactly why the MBA got such a battery boost with Haswell, but for some reason Windows Ultrabooks are only getting a little over half its battery life despite having a similar CPU/screen/battery capacity. That's quite a massive difference.

For example, engadget tested the MBA's battery life at 12:51 (that's before Mavericks, so it's probably better now), while some Ultrabooks are still in the 6-7 hours range, some of them with Haswell. I'd be curious to know what factors (software I assume?) give such a large discrepancy.

The poster you replied to gave 70% of the kudos to Intel and 30% to Apple.

Maybe for other manufacturers, he should give 200% to Intel and minus 100% to the manufacturer :D

raniel

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Ph
I hope someday we can say the same about the iphone. the battery of iphone sucks

afrocleland

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Glasgow
I hope someday we can say the same about the iphone. the battery of iphone sucks

iPhone battery isn't all that bad. In about 8 hours, mine only dropped about 3 or 4 percent... I was sleeping and it had basically everything except GPRS off :(

But in all seriousness, my MBA has impressed me massively. It's as powerful, if not more so than the 2011 13" Pro it replaced and as for the absence of a retina display, I don't mind at all. I have an iPad with one, and sure, it's nice, but for a laptop that I'm not watching HD videos and photo editing all day, it's very, very good. I'd say pound for pound (or dollar for dollar) the best consumer laptop I've ever used.

Windowsrefugee

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Microsoft Land
I know this isn't news, but today was the first time I used mine continuously for many hours. I did about 6-7 constant with half brightness using Citrix Safari plug in to use my office PC. Obviously not an intensive task, but I had 65% left afterwards. I was even switching desktop to mac occasionally to do some non-worky stuff. Very happy with it. If only my iphone could be as good!

Anyone here care to report real world battery life on 2013 i7 MBA running Maverick? Still debating between i5 and i7. Have read the reviews and specs but would like to see real world numbers-- actual duration of use, not just readings off the battery estimator.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

Attachments

• IMG_0049.PNG
    IMG_0049.PNG
    66.8 KB · Views: 87
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.