Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Anyone that wants to give one a try, it's $69.99 on Amazon at the moment, and will be $59 on Tiger Direct on Friday.

Comes with the latest Nokia Amber update, and can be updated to the developer preview to include CardDAV and CalDAV support. 5GB of usable space, but you can stick a 64GB card in there that can be used for media and the growing apps that support using it.

Only has 512 MB RAM, but apps have to specifically target it, so it's not really an issue. I've ran Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I and Asphalt 8: Airborne on it fine with no problem.

Camera is nice, and you can use it with both Oggl and Instagram now. :D The screen is nice and vibrant too... I'll stop now. Hahaha.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I'm on my third windows phone so I'm familiar with the platform. I'm on Verizon and I'm interested in the Lumia 1520, but I'd like to see if AT&T has improved at my house since I left them.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
As tempting as it is I'll have to pass. I've been spending too much on Amazon lately. But it is worth it just for the GPS alone.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
I picked up the 521 when it was at $80 then got another one couple weeks ago for $68, but gave them away to family members overseas since windows phone are booming there. I might pick the 520 on tiger direct for $59 no tax and prolly free shipping too.:D

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I picked up the 521 when it was at $80 then got another one couple weeks ago for $68, but gave them away to family members overseas since windows phone are booming there. I might pick the 520 on tiger direct for $59 no tax and prolly free shipping too.:D

Haha I'm doing the same with my parents who are overseas. My mom broke hers and want's another. At this price i'll buy a couple for back up.

Is the Tiger Direct price a Black Friday deal?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Bought this two days ago in the UK, where $69 translated to £80 including a £10 PAYG sim. Amazon UK is much dearer at over £100.

Nice little device. Less sluggish than I thought it would be. WP8 still some way to go to match iOS and Android in features and software availability but I like the way it has its own style rather than trying to ape what already exists. Battery life is not a strong point, but you can't have everything at this level of the phone market.

Screen feels very plasticky, though, and an absolute fingerprint magnet. Not even sure if it is glass or not.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Hey i can see that its the AT&T version. Is the sim locked to the carrier?. I am ordering it from India and hence i want an unlocked phone only.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Anyone that wants to give one a try, it's $69.99 on Amazon at the moment, and will be $59 on Tiger Direct on Friday.

Comes with the latest Nokia Amber update, and can be updated to the developer preview to include CardDAV and CalDAV support. 5GB of usable space, but you can stick a 64GB card in there that can be used for media and the growing apps that support using it.

Only has 512 MB RAM, but apps have to specifically target it, so it's not really an issue. I've ran Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I and Asphalt 8: Airborne on it fine with no problem.

Camera is nice, and you can use it with both Oggl and Instagram now. :D The screen is nice and vibrant too... I'll stop now. Hahaha.

Jessica,
Ever since your post here, the 520 has been nagging me. Well, Microsoft is selling them for $59, so I just bought one. Thanks to you.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Jessica,
Ever since your post here, the 520 has been nagging me. Well, Microsoft is selling them for $59, so I just bought one. Thanks to you.

HA! Well, hope you enjoy it. :) Send Nokia some feedback in the feedback app in settings and they might invite you to be on the waiting list to check out the "Nokia Black" update.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I keep debating this phone as well. I wouldn't use it as a phone, but just a device to play around with on wifi at home.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This is an excellent phone on it's own merits but also a great way to dip a toe into the Windows Phone arena. I was able to swap my StraightTalk microSIM (AT&T version) from my iPhone 4 into the 520.

Performance is excellent and battery life is on par with what I was getting on my iPhone 4 (iOS 5.1.1)

It also works well without a SIM for those looking for a media player... supports microSD cards.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Of course Amazon's Canadian store doesn't have such a deal :rolleyes: Amazon Canada has been sucking a big one lately

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.