Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davidsilence

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Brighton UK
Hi there,
my 6month old rMBP is currently being fixed by apple, it was experiencing loads of kernel panics, loud fans and rubbish battery life, turns out the logic board is faulty and it's being replaced.

I backed up my machine using Time Machine and took it into the store, whereby they took it in and asked me to wipe the hard drive, which i did.

I had an old macbook pro at home which i was planning on using as a backup machine but during the migration of the TM backup the hard drive fell on its side, its a seagate 2tb expansion. now it won't mount, have tried Data recovery, disk warrior etc,... nothing i get this hard drive is not readable by this computer message, so it sees it but nothing else, the hard drive makes a beeping sound.

The question is how possible will it be to recover the wiped SSD in the rMBP, I know that disk erase only deletes the links so the data should be there right?

Am heading into the store at day break to see what can be done but just wanted to prepare myself either way.

thanks for looking

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
This is why you have more than 2 copies of the backup.

Hopefully it's just a case of a loose connector, can you take apart the drive and check?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Beeping sound usually is not a good sign. That's usually from the drive itself indicating a failure.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
There is a specialized company that can retrieve your data but will cost you $$$$, worst case scenario.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
If you're lucky, it's just a stuck head. During free-fall and impacts, drives are designed to lock the heads away from the spindle. If that's the case, you can pay a data recovery company a lot of money to free the head. If not, you can pay the company a lot more money to recover your data. However, if the drive is still visible, you might be able to get it to mount on Linux (a long shot, though).

As for the SSD, your only option, if you get it back without overwritten data, would be a software recovery company. Either way, your data will set you back.

I'm sorry.

Raptor

EDIT: Keep the Seagate drive aside for the meanwhile. Don't try to use it; pushing it might lead to further damage. Consult a data recovery firm via phone. They'll most likely be able to give you a quote if you explain your situation.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

I do have to agree that you should double check that it's not just a loose cable. Do not use the SSD if you want to have a chance to recover data on it.

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
Run for the hills. Try not to knock anything else over on the way there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.