Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FifaFrancesco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Hi guys,

This is my first post, so whey great being here :)

So, living in Germany I'm going to be getting my PS4 on Friday.

I will not dare trying to download the mandatory Firmware update via the Sony Servers on Friday via the PS4 since all of Europe is going to have similar things in mind, so I grabbed it today, as described on the Support page by Sony.

But here comes my question: I can of course not format my thumb drive to FAT32 on Mavericks, can anyone confirm that the Update process works with exFAT?

I apologize in advance if anyone asked that question before!

Thank You,

FifaFrancesco

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
In Mavericks just choose MS-DOS FAT that will format it properly.

Then just create a folder called PS4 (all capitals) on the card and inside that create another folder called UPDATE (all capitals) and put the downloaded update into that.

Sorted.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
Does anyone know if the firmware update is region-locked - i.e. will it work if you downloaded it from the US website and used it on a UK console?

Also do you need to install the 1.5 update first or can you just install 1.51 without doing the first one before? I have both installed on my iMac.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Does anyone know if the firmware update is region-locked - i.e. will it work if you downloaded it from the US website and used it on a UK console?

Also do you need to install the 1.5 update first or can you just install 1.51 without doing the first one before? I have both installed on my iMac.

Seems to be region based as there is no mention of the 1.5 update on EU playstation site.

I too downloaded the US update and it was 900mb.

The EU 1.51 update one released on PSN EU today is 350mb

Therefore clearly different. Given its smaller size, I've just decided to download it on my PS4 directly instead.

The update procedure for USB is a little more finicky than first looked. You have to boot into safe mode and then choose update.

FifaFrancesco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Seems to be region based as there is no mention of the 1.5 update on EU playstation site.

I too downloaded the US update and it was 900mb.

The EU 1.51 update one released on PSN EU today is 350mb

Therefore clearly different. Given its smaller size, I've just decided to download it on my PS4 directly instead.

The update procedure for USB is a little more finicky than first looked. You have to boot into safe mode and then choose update.

Yeah exactly. I was originally under the impression that it was close to a Gigabyte, too but 350 Megs should be fine. Also, Amazon f'd my order up so I will be getting it Saturday if I'm lucky which should be even easier on the servers.

post-21454-you-had-ONE-job-samwell-tarly-8Jfr.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.