Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I've created a page which includes the current world editable pages on the MacGuides wiki

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Guides:WorldEdit

Only admins can change this page. And when u change it, the results are live. So you can add or remove world-editable pages to this list.

My eventual goal is to create a world-editable page of the week... which encourages user participation.

arn

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Thanks arn, I think it will work well. A few questions:

I'm assuming that the "Featured Guides" links at the top of the forums will be changed to automatically refer to them, but will they be displayed anywhere else (eg on the main pages of MacRumors and the guides)? As it is I think the user encouragement is limited by the fact that it's not obvious they are world-editable until you visit the pages themselves.

Are you wanting just one world-editable article each week, or a few? I think having about 5 per week would be more advantageous since a single article represents such a small portion of the Guides, and we have enough people to watch over changes. There are only so many improvements that can be made to one article, so a week seems like a long time to focus on a single page. Take for example the Aperture article, which has only had one change in the last 6 days yet has been the only featured guide during that period.

Finally, would there be a set time each week for the article selection to change, and would it be just you or all the sysops choosing them? If the latter, would there be prior discussion as to which articles to select (eg in the WorldEdit talk page), or would sysops just add articles without consultation?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I guess the eventual goal would be to make it more prominent and linked from various areas (macrumors, macbytes).

For now, this gives you all a way to turn it on/off.

arn

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
HexMonkey said:
Are you wanting just one world-editable article each week, or a few? I think having about 5 per week would be more advantageous since a single article represents such a small portion of the Guides, and we have enough people to watch over changes. There are only so many improvements that can be made to one article, so a week seems like a long time to focus on a single page. Take for example the Aperture article, which has only had one change in the last 6 days yet has been the only featured guide during that period.

Finally, would there be a set time each week for the article selection to change, and would it be just you or all the sysops choosing them? If the latter, would there be prior discussion as to which articles to select (eg in the WorldEdit talk page), or would sysops just add articles without consultation?

I think 5-7 articles a week would be great to have world-editable.

I think that Tuesday would be... a fitting day to change the guides. And talking about them first would be MUCH better than random addition. :)

(Yeah, this is an old thread, but I've been in Israel for the past 10 days...)

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
I've structured the WorldEdit talk page to allow for nominations. This allows everyone (including unregistered users) to make them. Tuesday sounds good to me, although we might have to delay it a bit this week.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
I've been adding articles of products announced at Macworld, but it seems it doesn't work for products with an apostrophe in their name. I added both [guide]iLife '06[/guide] and [guide]iWork '06[/guide], but neither of those pages show are world editable, regardless of whether I use "%27" or "'" in the links. Is this fixable arn?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
HexMonkey said:
I've been adding articles of products announced at Macworld, but it seems it doesn't work for products with an apostrophe in their name. I added both [guide]iLife '06[/guide] and [guide]iWork '06[/guide], but neither of those pages show are world editable, regardless of whether I use "%27" or "'" in the links. Is this fixable arn?

...and can we make it a bulleted list without destroying the majik?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Mechcozmo said:
...and can we make it a bulleted list without destroying the majik?

er... I just tried, but I broke the magic. wasn't as easy a change as I thought. I'll have to get back to you on this one.

arn

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
arn said:
er... I just tried, but I broke the magic. wasn't as easy a change as I thought. I'll have to get back to you on this one.

arn

Hmm. Odd. Because that page isn't very human-readable (I count myself as more Borg-like than human) is really why I was wondering about the HTML encodings and the comma separations and stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.