Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atrox321

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Rochester, NY
Actually, the new Mac Pro won't be able to help us at all, because we need CUDA driven cards to do what we do. The AMD/ATIcards are completely useless to us.

We have started doing GPU rendering using the Octane Renderer out of Cinema 4D. Amazing realistic results. We bought 2 giant PC's with 4 Titan cards each in them, but we are Mac people and wanted to be able to work on our Macs using Octane at decent speeds.

So, i present to you... 8 Core Mac Pro with 2 Titans in it. These cards are Plug n Play now with Mavericks as far as compatibility is concerned. The only issue i have seen is there is no apple logo on startup anymore and translucent menu sometimes acts odd (i turn it off anyway). You do need an external power source to run the Titans, but this machine (and one other just like it) is a monster for GPU rendering (and yes, even games)

MacTitans.jpg

and here are the two PC's if anyone cares. Win8 is just dumb, but these machines work great, even if they look ridiculous. And don't let anyone tell you all PCs are cheap. These things were $11k a piece. Yes they are faster than our Macs at just about everything, but Win8 is just disgusting to work on after being a Mac nerd for the past 28 years. So, i only use these for when i have to render something.

pcs.jpg

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
So, i present to you... 8 Core Mac Pro with 2 Titans in it. These cards are Plug n Play now with Mavericks as far as compatibility is concerned.

Is the 2nd Titan in slot 3? Doesn't that keep it stuck in 4x?

atrox321

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Rochester, NY
So cool. That thing is a freakin beast. How much memory is in the MP?

17 GB on the Macs. 32 in the PC's. Titans are 6GB each.

Another thing. I wanted to space the cards apart for heat reasons, which meant i had to put one Titan in the 4X slot,but first i benchmarked it with both in the 16x slots. The benchmark was exactly the same in the 16x and 4x, so i left them spaced apart. However, you need to hook your display up to the one in the 16x slot. Very odd

----------

Is the 2nd Titan in slot 3? Doesn't that keep it stuck in 4x?

ha. weird, i just answered that question. great minds...

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Yep the PC towers look gross, but a pair of silverstone tower cases would have given them a Mac Pro ish look.

Why didn't you install Windows 7 instead of 8 cos as a desktop OS it's far more useable than 8.1!

atrox321

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Rochester, NY
Yep the PC towers look gross, but a pair of silverstone tower cases would have given them a Mac Pro ish look.

Why didn't you install Windows 7 instead of 8 cos as a desktop OS it's far more useable than 8.1!

we don't use 8.1. i have heard horror stories. We are still on 8 and have it set so we never have to see the stupid metro interface. They came preloaded with W8 and we were fine with that. W8, W7, XP, 95... it's all ****** to my eyes

As far as the towers go, we had a gaming company called Digital Storm build them for us. gaming Rigs and GPU rigs are essentially the same thing, only GPU rigs have more GPUs than what are necessary to play games. DS had only a few options and this case was the only one they would use for our systems. 4 Titans gets pretty hot, so water cooling and a case that has a gazillion fans is necessary. Great company though. Quick build and they test the systems to their max for 3 days straight before shipping.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
we don't use 8.1. i have heard horror stories. We are still on 8 and have it set so we never have to see the stupid metro interface. They came preloaded with W8 and we were fine with that. W8, W7, XP, 95... it's all ****** to my eyes

As far as the towers go, we had a gaming company called Digital Storm build them for us. gaming Rigs and GPU rigs are essentially the same thing, only GPU rigs have more GPUs than what are necessary to play games. DS had only a few options and this case was the only one they would use for our systems. 4 Titans gets pretty hot, so water cooling and a case that has a gazillion fans is necessary. Great company though. Quick build and they test the systems to their max for 3 days straight before shipping.

8.1 is a big improvement cos it polishes the turd a lot, the biggest pain is updating the bloody thing and making sure the system is malware free before upgrading. There's been plenty of rubbish MS OS but 7 certainly isn't one of them, I'd say it's the most comparable to a Mac OS there has ever been and I've been using both platforms since 1988!

atrox321

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Rochester, NY
8.1 is a big improvement cos it polishes the turd a lot, the biggest pain is updating the bloody thing and making sure the system is malware free before upgrading. There's been plenty of rubbish MS OS but 7 certainly isn't one of them, I'd say it's the most comparable to a Mac OS there has ever been and I've been using both platforms since 1988!

good to know. Unfortunately, 8.1 is not compatible with our renderer at the moment.

atrox321

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Rochester, NY
He's talking about 7.

I understand. we are not going back though. Stability is not an issue with 8 as far as I'm concerned. We've had no issues with it. He mentioned going to 8.1 would make the system better, but we can't do that right now until our software is updated.

echoout

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Austin, Texas
Similar setup here. Use my 12-core MP with Titan for setting up Octane and making creative decisions, the send it to my 16-core z820 with 780 Ti for rendering. I use Windows 7 but it's still tedious for me.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
good to know. Unfortunately, 8.1 is not compatible with our renderer at the moment.

Yep best to wait till it's totally stable before updating. You have to run windows update time and time again till nothing is left before the 8.1 appears by magic or random in the windows store. It will improve it under the hood and has a boot to desktop option. Start menu reviver a good replacement for the metro start if you cant stand it as much as I do and the clients I know who are stuck using it.

dotsfilmes

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
Salvador - Bahia - Brasil
Actually, the new Mac Pro won't be able to help us at all, because we need CUDA driven cards to do what we do. The AMD/ATIcards are completely useless to us.

We have started doing GPU rendering using the Octane Renderer out of Cinema 4D. Amazing realistic results. We bought 2 giant PC's with 4 Titan cards each in them, but we are Mac people and wanted to be able to work on our Macs using Octane at decent speeds.

So, i present to you... 8 Core Mac Pro with 2 Titans in it. These cards are Plug n Play now with Mavericks as far as compatibility is concerned. The only issue i have seen is there is no apple logo on startup anymore and translucent menu sometimes acts odd (i turn it off anyway). You do need an external power source to run the Titans, but this machine (and one other just like it) is a monster for GPU rendering (and yes, even games)

and here are the two PC's if anyone cares. Win8 is just dumb, but these machines work great, even if they look ridiculous. And don't let anyone tell you all PCs are cheap. These things were $11k a piece. Yes they are faster than our Macs at just about everything, but Win8 is just disgusting to work on after being a Mac nerd for the past 28 years. So, i only use these for when i have to render something.

What PSU are you using? Do you leave it open all the time? Does the external PSU connect to the internal to syncronize, or just turn them both on manualy?

Planning to put a Titan also!

Thanks!

atrox321

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Rochester, NY
What PSU are you using? Do you leave it open all the time? Does the external PSU connect to the internal to syncronize, or just turn them both on manualy?

Planning to put a Titan also!

Thanks!

Thermaltake 1200 watt external. comes with a bunch of different modular cables. It's completely separate from the internal PSU. You have to bridge two of the pins on the main cable that comes off the PSU for it to work, but it works well. No problems at all and has enough power to power just about anything.

We leave the door off at all times, because the cables won't fit through the one empty slot in the back.Not optimal, but we found with 2 fans (one blowing in the front and one directly on the cards, we have no problems with air flow. I have accidentally left the fans off when rendering with no problems, but better safe than sorry. I doubt it would be an issue with just one Titan.

Yesterday i did another test. i just wanted to be absolutely sure, so i ran a couple benchmarks with the second card in it's current 4x location. Then I moved that card into the other 16x location and ran those same tests. No difference in the slightest. It got super hot with both cards in the 16x position since there is no air flow above the first card at that point, so i moved it back to the 4x.

----------

Yep best to wait till it's totally stable before updating. You have to run windows update time and time again till nothing is left before the 8.1 appears by magic or random in the windows store. It will improve it under the hood and has a boot to desktop option. Start menu reviver a good replacement for the metro start if you cant stand it as much as I do and the clients I know who are stuck using it.

I have never seen the Metro interface. Digital Storm put a start menu app on and it goes straight to desktop. Metro makes me puke

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I understand. we are not going back though. Stability is not an issue with 8 as far as I'm concerned. We've had no issues with it. He mentioned going to 8.1 would make the system better, but we can't do that right now until our software is updated.

Honestly if these are just used for rendering I would never update unless you update your rendering software I would even turn off Windows update. If these aren't being used to surf the internet, get e-mail, &c. Their sole purpose in life being to render and they are stable. Then any updates offer a greater potential risk than benefit.

You never know what update may cause a stability issue. Even worse every update makes changes to the registry. You never know if the change will result in a crash. The crash can be from a change in the registry or the registry simply being corrupted when being saved.

Even in day to day operations some changes are made to the registry. At least you can minimize this.

atrox321

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Rochester, NY
Honestly if these are just used for rendering I would never update unless you update your rendering software I would even turn off Windows update. If these aren't being used to surf the internet, get e-mail, &c. Their sole purpose in life being to render and they are stable. Then any updates offer a greater potential risk than benefit.

You never know what update may cause a stability issue. Even worse every update makes changes to the registry. You never know if the change will result in a crash. The crash can be from a change in the registry or the registry simply being corrupted when being saved.

Even in day to day operations some changes are made to the registry. At least you can minimize this.

yup. we have update turned off (still somehow mages to annoy us from time to time. Guerilla update tactics. ha)

atrox321

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Rochester, NY
I'd recommend looking at an external PCI-E box for the mac pro's if you want to, you know, close them.

I have a netstor NA255a with 4 Titans in it. Bought an extra interface card so I can swap it from my Mac Pro to PC in about 2 minutes.

http://www.netstor.com.tw/_03/03_02.php?MTEx

That is a way to do it for sure. Our way is a bit cheaper of course by a lot. Just not as tidy looking and you can only use 2 cards inside the Mac

DJenkins

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Good work, I like seeing people take things beyond the status quo dictated by Apple.

Although I wish there weren't these ridiculous hurdles just to try and play catch-up to the PC market.

Did you consider having a hackintosh built? You could have your four Titans running in OSX - and even boot back into windows just to squeeze a bit more power for rendering. I am guessing reliability of the Mac Pro was a priority though?

atrox321

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Rochester, NY
Good work, I like seeing people take things beyond the status quo dictated by Apple.

Although I wish there weren't these ridiculous hurdles just to try and play catch-up to the PC market.

Did you consider having a hackintosh built? You could have your four Titans running in OSX - and even boot back into windows just to squeeze a bit more power for rendering. I am guessing reliability of the Mac Pro was a priority though?

We do pretty much all work on the Macs and then render on the PC's. Hackintosh was an option, but decided it wasn't really worth it for something that is pretty much just going to render. It's faster to work on the PC's by far, but I'm just more comfortable in the Mac environment, which is by no means slow at all.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Good job they are working on Open CL octane then :)

All Adobes stuff works on Open CL too now, which is good.

I am wondering if they will allow Nvidia Card in the nMP... but we still don't know if they are even replaceable yet!

----------

We do pretty much all work on the Macs and then render on the PC's. Hackintosh was an option, but decided it wasn't really worth it for something that is pretty much just going to render. It's faster to work on the PC's by far, but I'm just more comfortable in the Mac environment, which is by no means slow at all.

Out of interest do you just install team render on the PCs and just hit render?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
thanks for sharing! glad to see i'm not the only one with an external power supply on my old mac pro. except mine is a 2006 mac pro that can't run mavericks, so i'm stuck in windows. but that's ok. cool setup! :cool:

atrox321

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Rochester, NY
Good job they are working on Open CL octane then :)

All Adobes stuff works on Open CL too now, which is good.

I am wondering if they will allow Nvidia Card in the nMP... but we still don't know if they are even replaceable yet!

----------

Out of interest do you just install team render on the PCs and just hit render?

Sorry for the late response. As far as i know they are NOT working on a non-CUDA version of Octane. No OpenCL support has been announced.

As of maybe 2 weekends ago, Octane for C4D got Team Render Support. And it's glorious. However, each machine ding the render has to have the full standalone app and the C4D plugin for it to work. They have no special licensing for render nodes. But having 12 Titans attack a file at once is great,

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Sorry for the late response. As far as i know they are NOT working on a non-CUDA version of Octane. No OpenCL support has been announced.

As of maybe 2 weekends ago, Octane for C4D got Team Render Support. And it's glorious. However, each machine ding the render has to have the full standalone app and the C4D plugin for it to work. They have no special licensing for render nodes. But having 12 Titans attack a file at once is great,

I have my spys :) and from the official FAQ.

I'd like to use Octane Render, but I don't have a Nvidia video card.
Are OpenCL compatible cards (AMD and Intel GPUs) supported?

"No, OpenCL is currently not as mature as CUDA. As OpenCL matures, it is planned to be supported which will allow GPUs from AMD and Intel to be used with Octane Render. Currently, Octane Render requires a CUDA enabled Nvidia video card to be installed."

http://render.otoy.com/faqs.php

The titan rig sounds like a great way of farming!

You guys got a reel?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.