Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
I'm not sure how to describe this, but my friend has an iPad Air with a smart cover that, when open, clings to the back b/c of the magnet.

I have a smart cover on my rMini that seems to try to cling, but if I let go even a little, it comes crashing down. On my friend's Air, you can totally let go and it sticks to the back.

Did I get a dud smart cover or is this normal behavior for the mini? Because maybe the magnets aren't that strong either in the device itself or the smaller smart cover?

Thank you!

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I found that I had to pull it toward the edge where it "sticks" more on my air. I am guessing the magnets need to be closer. Sometimes when I don't pull on the cover it will come unstuck.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
It's not a feature, it's just something that might work a little bit. My SC doesn't stick to the back of my rMini either, or rather the connection is very weak.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
The official smart covers aren't designed to attach at the back with the magnets. The third party cases and TPU back cases that do are specially designed to do so and usually have a magnet in the back that attach to the magnets in the Smart Cover.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
The official smart covers aren't designed to attach at the back with the magnets. The third party cases and TPU back cases that do are specially designed to do so and usually have a magnet in the back that attach to the magnets in the Smart Cover.

Technically I guess they aren't designed to, but they do because of the magnets in the cover and the metal body of the iPad.

Also, a lot of the third party back covers have just a strip of metal, it doesn't have to be magnet since there is already one in the Smart Cover.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Technically I guess they aren't designed to, but they do because of the magnets in the cover and the metal body of the iPad.

Also, a lot of the third party back covers have just a strip of metal, it doesn't have to be magnet since there is already one in the Smart Cover.

Neither the Smart Cover of my iPad 3 or my iPad Air function that way nor have I heard of anyone else's doing that either. If anyone's does then its an anomaly.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I have an rMini with smart cover and if I hold it naturally with my left hand, it clings very well to the back of the iPad and feels rock solid.

If I try to hold it in funny ways (like, say, with just a thumb and index finger, or too far down the iPad instead of halfway up like I normally do), it barely clings at all and does exactly what you are describing.

If Steve Jobs were still around he would probably tell you that you're holding it wrong. :p

In all seriousness though, I don't think there's anything defective about your smart cover, they are probably all like that.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Neither the Smart Cover of my iPad 3 or my iPad Air function that way nor have I heard of anyone else's doing that either. If anyone's does then its an anomaly.

The magnet in your smart cover does not cling to the metal back of your iPad?

I think that is the anomaly.

The Smart Covers I have used on my 3rd gen, Mini, and Air all hold to the back with the magnets unless there is a third party back cover on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.