Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
So, I had no desire to upgrade my first gen mini. None, really. Then I made the mistake of looking at a retina mini.

Long story short, I'm typing this on my new space gray 32 GB retina mini. I can get $170 for my first gen mini on Gazelle, so it will defray the cost a bit. Looking at magazines in Zinio on the retina mini was the clincher. Wow.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Same thing happened to me with my 3rd gen. I went in to the store and looked at the Air, once I felt how light and thin it was I was sold. :)

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
None, really. Then I made the mistake of looking at a retina mini.

Yep, if you have the eyesight for it the ability to legibly render very small text is a clincher. I'd considered picking up a cheap Mini1 for a portable option, but then compared one side by side with the rMini. I shoulda known better. :)

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Hey, try this, and then you will be really pissed.

Compare it with the new Ipad Air. Many have been "forced" into moving to that. LOL!

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I did the same. It was definitely a splurge, the original mini was working find; but I use it extensively for reading pdfs, and the sharper screen is wonderful for that.

What surprises me is not only does the screen look sharper, but it looks brighter as well, and videos look nicer, more vibrant on it. I'm beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with my original mini I wasn't aware of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.