Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nokia has launched a new web ad for its Lumia 2520 tablet running Windows 8. The Lumia 2520 is similar to the Windows Surface tablets from Microsoft and includes a larger battery in its separate physical keyboard to push battery life to as long as 16 hours.

The new ad pokes fun at Apple's tablet by making references to the iPad Air's new 'Pencil' television ad and suggesting that iPad owners will need to carry a notebook everywhere because the iPad has no keyboard.

Ah, working on the move. Goodbye laptop, hello new tablet!

Here we go, everyone wants one! Yes, my friends, it's thin. Thinner than a pencil! Oh yeah.

Oh, it's light too, yeah. Oh, did I mention, one of these has been to space?

Hang on, negative Nancy. What's with all the questions? It's got everything you need. You don't need a keyboard, you touch the screen.

Argh. I wish this thing had a keyboard. I'm about as productive as a cat wearing mittens right now. Time to get the beast out I guess.

Oh, this? I'm just giving it a rest. Been working it pretty hard.

Oh, not the battery. Well, you don't see me getting caught with my trousers down. Not when I'm still lugging around this puppy. Ah. Oh, you again. Just act cool and nobody has to know.

I do love this thing. It's still light and you never notice it in your laptop bag.

Wait a minute, what's that? A Nokia Lumia 2520, you say? So, um, did I buy the wrong tablet?
The Nokia Lumia 2520 with built-in LTE is available for $400-500 from AT&T or Verizon, or directly from Microsoft -- Nokia's separate battery/keyboard is an additional $150, though Nokia is offering the keyboard free with purchase for a limited time.

There are, of course, a number of third-party iPad keyboards available as well.

Microsoft has agreed to purchase Nokia's device and services division, though that transaction has yet to complete.

Article Link: Nokia Lumia 2520 Web Ad Pokes Fun at the iPad as 'The Wrong Tablet'

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
iPad + external keyboard > any tablet.

Say what you like, iPad still continues to dominate the tablet market by a landslide: apps, experience, you name it. Oh, and sales figures.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
haha that was a good concept. Unfortunately I have never seen an iPad run out of battery even after 2-3 days of use, nor have I ever felt the need for a keyboard...and my friends who do have a keyboard case like the lady in the commercial did!

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Isn't the Nokia Tablet just a variation of the MS Surface which was like not very interesting to begin with?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Maybe I'm out of touch, but there was nothing about this ad that was even mildly humorous. I found myself more distracted by the ad being so amateur that I may have missed the actual point of it.

----------

Desperation breeds imperfection breeds desperation (rinse and repeat).

I guess that's how I felt. I wanted to laugh, but it wasn't even a good ad, serious or otherwise.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Even if Nokiasoft were to make a good product, Microsoft's marketing people would blow it. They have a very hard time putting together an add that is classy and portrays them and their product in a positive light. Whenever they go after Apple directly like this it just makes them look mean and bitter. Part of the problem is that they can't use humour because Microsoft people have no sense of humor, so when they try they just look mean-spirit like in those Steve Jobs skits they put out after the 5C launch.

negativepi

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
The linked third party iPad keyboard costs less than the Nokia one does. So after they don't offer the free keyboard, that argument will be mostly irrelevant.

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York
so much meh any RT tablet cant run crap and keyboards arent necesarry in my opinion cmon we've all seen the android phones with keyboards you know what happened to those

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
i got 12 hrs battery life out of my retina mini yesterday. yea real bad battery life haha.
worst ad ever?

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
They still don't get it.

And that is 1:17 of brutal-to-watch video.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
That was a snoozer of an idea. They really hit home the benefits of their product: it's pink.

ctrlshft

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2010
I like how every non-Apple tablet manufacturer's marketing strategy is to try and justify through various limp-wristed angles of attack why theirs is better than the iPad. It's reeks of desperation and disingenuous claims.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Why do all these tablet commercials try to make it look like you can't use a keyboard with an iPad?

That's really all they've got? A blatent lie?

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
haha that was a good concept. Unfortunately I have never seen an iPad run out of battery even after 2-3 days of use, nor have I ever felt the need for a keyboard...and my friends who do have a keyboard case like the lady in the commercial did!

Right here, sitting on my desk, is the iPhone 1. Bought it on day one. There is no older iPhone battery than this phone. It sits in a charger day after day just for looks. My daughter was playing games on it for an hour or so about 4 days ago and it still has a 35% charge.

Apple knows battery life and quality. But a fast charging battery? That is something to attack the iPad about. Too bad they buried the lead. A keyboard? Well, yes they're nice and they're about $30 on Amazon. So, price - no better. Keyboard, not included but expensive. Fast charging battery? Mine lasts for days. I'll charge it at home while I sleep thanks. iOS? I'll take it over any other any day. Why buy this thing? That's right, the battery charges fast and you can buy an expensive keyboard. WTH?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm reading this on my iPad Mini...

I will never be reading this on a Nokia tablet...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.