Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

susa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Canada
My iPad would be perfect except for a small nick on the corner that’s bugging me.
Has anybody been able to find a durable aluminum paint that matches exactly the silver finish? (and black for anybody who wants to know)?
I’m thinking perhaps the paint used to make model cars and such. What’s the brand and shade/number?
Or maybe a nail polish? The nick is so shallow it should fill it in.

Codyormoe

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Western Mass
As a fellow OCDer I feel your pain. On my old iPad I had a few scrapes that I just could not cope with. I handed it off to my husband who owns a body shop and he perfectly matched the paint and had it looking like new again the same day. He did say the metallic finish can be tricky if you aren't used to working with it, something about the right amount of metallic in the base coat so it doesn't end up looking too dark or too light.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
My iPad would be perfect except for a small nick on the corner that’s bugging me.
Has anybody been able to find a durable aluminum paint that matches exactly the silver finish? (and black for anybody who wants to know)?
I’m thinking perhaps the paint used to make model cars and such. What’s the brand and shade/number?
Or maybe a nail polish? The nick is so shallow it should fill it in.

My gut says avoid nail color. No good reason for that. Sorry I can't give better info.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If it bothers you that much, get a case. Failing that buy a RAL paint chart and order the best match. Or you could try those paint pens they sell for car stone chips.

susa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Canada
As a fellow OCDer I feel your pain. On my old iPad I had a few scrapes that I just could not cope with. I handed it off to my husband who owns a body shop and he perfectly matched the paint and had it looking like new again the same day. He did say the metallic finish can be tricky if you aren't used to working with it, something about the right amount of metallic in the base coat so it doesn't end up looking too dark or too light.

I didn't consider the metallic aspect. Thanks for the heads up! It is so subtle. And got me thinking that iPads may have a clear-coat as well.
Wish I had a husband with a body shop! Oh the things I could do. Your husband could start a line of modern coloured iPads and such:)

----------

My gut says avoid nail color. No good reason for that. Sorry I can't give better info.
Right. Bad idea. Who knows what's in some of that stuff today- extra strong, gel nail equivalents . ..might lead to the original anodizing peeling up and a big mess. Thank you.

----------

If it bothers you that much, get a case. Failing that buy a RAL paint chart and order the best match. Or you could try those paint pens they sell for car stone chips.

Yes, thanks, that is an option. I just really like the look of it naked and had a bestskinsever on it that peeled back, and therefore didn't protect from that nick.
But now I've looked further and saw some cases I like quite a bit such as Pad and Quill and Dodo. They look like old world book covers.
And thanks too - will look up the RAL chart, and hope to luck out on getting a matching touch up pen. And perhaps someone at a body shop can help match. I have enough trouble trying to get just the right colours for walls in the house :/
I'm in a small town so it may take awhile, but if I find the perfect match, I'll let others here know.

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
You can never fully dissipate a scratch. Do you see how rubbing a bit of spit on a scratch seems to lessen it? Good because you can't do that with anything else lol
Metallic paint will show a scar. Even perfectly matched. You can't sand then bonds and wet sand it like a car. That's how car imperfections get fixed yo one degree or another. I had a nik on a corner of an old ipad and I recall putting a full body invisisheild made by Zagg help make it less visible. You had to examine it to find it but it was always there. Invisisheild will sure help prevent new ones.
There's a carbon fiber patterned protective backing which looks awesome. I definitely recommend it. Google or YouTube it...
My ipad air 64 g black went directly from the box into a full body Zagg invisisheild then again, directly into a Griffin Survivor case ( ipad air ).
It will be flawless no matter how long I have it if kept this way. Looks great to.
$80 is a lot for a case but it does a very reliable job. My ipad fell off my bed 30 times. I don't even blink over it now. Even if it was a concrete floor instead of wood or rug.
Sorry for the long post. Good luck

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I wouldn't try to touch it up as you'll most likely make it worse.

I agree to get a skin or case to cover it up so you won't see it. I have a white carbon fiber type skin and really like it. The LuckySkins brand even has a brushed aluminum in their Texsure line.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 172
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.