Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piotr20PL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Hello, i bought an iPhone 4, with iOS 7.0.4 from Japan, which is locked to SOFTBANK simcard. I've got the card, so i managed to activate the phone, but i cannot use other network.

Are there any chances for me to see a way to unlock the phone? I've seen some companies able to do that, but it costs a lot, about 200$ just to unlock the phone. I also wrote an e-mail to SOFTBANK asking if they can unlock the phone since the contract is finished already. Still waiting for the response though.

So, are there any hackers still working on Unlocking iPhones with the number four, or they already quited the job and i have no reason to wait and try to jailbreak it?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
If it is an 8GB version you may be in luck.
16GB and 32GB can't be unlocked- unless things have changed since I last tried, about a year ago.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I will ask my sister-in-law, she works for Softbank. I got a feeling the answer is going to be it's not possible though or she just may not know. It's hard to even get a phone plan or a sim if you're just visiting Japan. My wife brought her AT&T iPhone to Japan and was only able to get a sim without buying a softbank phone because her sister had an extra one she could activate.

Softbank's network (all of Japan's mobile networks) are locked down pretty tight.

Piotr20PL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
That's so stupid, you buy a cellphone worth 500$ and then after the contract is done you can't use it anymore in any other network for good.

I would really appreciate if you could ask her.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
That's so stupid, you buy a cellphone worth 500$ and then after the contract is done you can't use it anymore in any other network for good.

I would really appreciate if you could ask her.

Already sent the email, but it's 6am there. Will let you know what she says. I think she's just a sales rep or something, she's only been there for less than 2 years. Maybe she'll know something, it's probably not something that gets asked often.

Piotr20PL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Ehhh, alright, thanks a lot for help :) It seems all i have is an iPod Touch... at least for now... Maybe in a few weeks there will be something to crack the iOS7 unlock :p

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
SOFTBANK Simlock

I will ask my sister-in-law, she works for Softbank. I got a feeling the answer is going to be it's not possible though or she just may not know. It's hard to even get a phone plan or a sim if you're just visiting Japan. My wife brought her AT&T iPhone to Japan and was only able to get a sim without buying a softbank phone because her sister had an extra one she could activate.

Softbank's network (all of Japan's mobile networks) are locked down pretty tight.

Way off topic, but I HATED SoftBank. They had horrible service in Japan. AU by KDDI is the way to go! Anyway, yea I don't think you can unlock Japanese phones, if I can remember they only run on CDMA networks. I remember when I had my phone, they didn't come with sims installed. Or at least SoftBank and AU do. I know there's at least one that doesn't but they're VERY expensive.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
But where did you try? At official SOFTBANK store?

I went to a local iPhone repair shop here in town- totally trustworthy outfit.
They were not sure it could be done- but would attempt to do so. If successful the unlock would cost $180.
(Check around the web and that's the going rate for Softbank.)

Sure enough, it was impossible. That was then and this is now. I traded that iPhone into GameStop a few weeks ago.

Piotr20PL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
So i guess i need to sell it to. I hope i won't sell it for 50$ just because it's locked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.