Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outoffayz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Hi all,

I am in the process of readying for my latest upgrade to a Macbook Pro 13" w/ retina. Seeing as it's such a heavy purchase, I will do all I can to keep it in perfect condition.

I recently saw someone in my library with a laptop sleeve (not a shoulder strap case) that not only contained the macbook for portability (moving it around), but when you open the sleeve there are straps on the inside so that go over the corners of the screen, and the laptop opens with the sleeve still attached. So in a way, it is almost a permanent soft case, the laptop never leaves the sleeve.
Hope I explained that clearly enough :D

If anyone knows of this product, please let me know! I have searched everywhere and cannot find it.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
Vatuka?

I wrote a short review of my Vatuka sleeve which seems to be exactly what you're describing:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18375305/

I chose it over the Thule Gauntlet because it allows access to all the ports when it's open, and has above-average airflow to keep your MBP from getting abnormally warm when you're using it. I'm a fan. :cool:

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
I wrote a short review of my Vatuka sleeve which seems to be exactly what you're describing:

I chose it over the Thule Gauntlet because it allows access to all the ports when it's open, and has above-average airflow to keep your MBP from getting abnormally warm when you're using it. I'm a fan. :cool:

This looks a lot better than what I recommended - get this! Looks great!

Rick-ITA

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
I have the Thule Gauntlet sleeve.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND IT.

Really it's very very sturdy, water-proof (do not throw it in a swimming pool but your Mac should survive even under the shower :D ).

It's hard to describe, but if you see it it's really built to preserve your mac.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
I have the Thule Gauntlet sleeve.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND IT.

Really it's very very sturdy, water-proof (do not throw it in a swimming pool but your Mac should survive even under the shower :D ).

It's hard to describe, but if you see it it's really built to preserve your mac.

I love the look of the Thule and seriously considered it before settling on the Vatuka.

How does your Thule fare in terms of accessibility to ports and venting? I read reports that the chassis of the rMBP sits too "deep" in the sleeve to allow for proper venting and access to ports, but I don't have any first-hand experience with it myself.

For what it's worth, the Vatuka is water-resistant but not to the degree that I would shower with it. ;) The shell is also very sturdy and extremely light and shock-absorbent. The laptop feels very well-protected inside, with the exception of the corners... which is a weak spot in pretty much every "slim" sleeve I have come across.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Hi all,

I am in the process of readying for my latest upgrade to a Macbook Pro 13" w/ retina. Seeing as it's such a heavy purchase, I will do all I can to keep it in perfect condition.

I recently saw someone in my library with a laptop sleeve (not a shoulder strap case) that not only contained the macbook for portability (moving it around), but when you open the sleeve there are straps on the inside so that go over the corners of the screen, and the laptop opens with the sleeve still attached. So in a way, it is almost a permanent soft case, the laptop never leaves the sleeve.
Hope I explained that clearly enough :D

If anyone knows of this product, please let me know! I have searched everywhere and cannot find it.

You should asked this person where he or she bought this sleeve. It is not hurt to ask. :apple:

ReL1988

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2014
hii :)
i have the same need for specific sleeve/case..

can you please tell me how was your purchase (and which sleeve)? maybe some first impressions etc etc...

Btw, i am looking for similar sleeve (thule/vatuka) but with a separate compartment for cables/chargers/mouse ...

Any ideas?
thank you!!

mikaelm

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2014

willgreene99

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
DFW

Is the bottom mesh, where the Mac sits, an air flow chamber? I could not tell if the mesh part was solid or if there was an pocket of air that the mesh was suspended above.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
Is the bottom mesh, where the Mac sits, an air flow chamber? I could not tell if the mesh part was solid or if there was an pocket of air that the mesh was suspended above.

Sorry--just saw this question today.

The mesh is a layer of weird, woven nylon foam-like material, as opposed to being a dense sheet of foam with holes punched out of it. In other words, the actual "solid" portion of the mesh has a sort of fibrous consistency which also allows for air to flow through it.

I've had my Vatuka sleeve for 4+ months now and I still have zero complaints with it. I've used my rMBP for gaming a lot more than anticipated and fan speeds are essentially the same with the sleeve on as when the laptop is 'naked'--with the added plus that it does make the laptop a bit cooler on the lap. Zipper is holding up well, no scratches, etc.

Just about the only thing worth mentioning: when you close the laptop with the corner fasteners on, this necessarily creates a bit of a gap between the lid and base of the laptop when you close it, which can create an opportunity for the screen to flex very slightly in the middle when you pick it up with one hand (i.e. like a book). I can't see this doing any significant damage to anything, but I did wind up with a few (easily cleaned) marks from the keyboard on my screen. Now I just remove the fasteners whenever I zip up the case to take it anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.