Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Chromebooks are useless bricks. I owned one. The dumbed down software on them makes them super pointless. There would be more point in a Windows RT netbook tbh, and that is saying something.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Chromebooks are useless bricks. I owned one. The dumbed down software on them makes them super pointless. There would be more point in a Windows RT netbook tbh, and that is saying something.

LOL! Although I love Pawn Stars, I thought the PS commercial did not serve the MS product well. Rick is not that good of a huckster. He seemed out of his element. ;)

I believe the idea of "the toaster" computer is Apple's. Correct me if I am wrong. They delivered with iOS and the iPad which while not quite as simple as a toaster, is simple as compared to a regular computer. That said, I own one and would I want an iPad as my only computer? Negatory, good buddy. :)

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

I was given a Chromebook C7 recently. Installed ChrUbuntu on it. It kicked the pants off a higher spec'ed (and 4x the price) Window 8 laptop in terms of productivity. I got the same amount of work done in half the time as my co-worker muddling through the Metro interface.

I can't comment on the ChromeOS since my first order of business was purging the crippled OS. Since it relies too much of the Internet for functionality, I would assume it's not all that useful to someone like me.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I was given a Chromebook C7 recently. Installed ChrUbuntu on it.

I did that on my Chromebook (had a lower end Samsung model), but about two weeks after I'd done it, ChromeOS randomly restored itself in its former glory one day. And it didn't just do it once, it did it twice (that is when I decided to sell it). So just a heads up, Google may say no like they did with me. :(

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I was given a Chromebook C7 recently. Installed ChrUbuntu on it. It kicked the pants off a higher spec'ed (and 4x the price) Window 8 laptop in terms of productivity. I got the same amount of work done in half the time as my co-worker muddling through the Metro interface.

I can't comment on the ChromeOS since my first order of business was purging the crippled OS. Since it relies too much of the Internet for functionality, I would assume it's not all that useful to someone like me.

That says more about your coworker than about Windows 8.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
That says more about your coworker than about Windows 8.

I, too, was more productive using Linux than Windows 8. Once I figured out how to access the Desktop UI, my productivity nearly doubled. That speaks volumes about how useless the Metro UI is. I suppose it's okay for a small screened laptop, but anything bigger than 13" and it's a pain in the (_!_).

Metro is utter garbage on a desktop machine for 2 reasons: most folks use 20+ inch screens as their main display and no touch screen. A mouse and keyboard works just as fast on a small or big screen.

Using patterns to unlock the computer is pretty cool though.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I, too, was more productive using Linux than Windows 8. Once I figured out how to access the Desktop UI, my productivity nearly doubled. That speaks volumes about how useless the Metro UI is. I suppose it's okay for a small screened laptop, but anything bigger than 13" and it's a pain in the (_!_).

Metro is utter garbage on a desktop machine for 2 reasons: most folks use 20+ inch screens as their main display and no touch screen. A mouse and keyboard works just as fast on a small or big screen.

Using patterns to unlock the computer is pretty cool though.

And that says something about you.

Seriously, it's quite possible to use Windows 8 and practically never hit the metro screen. And even then, you can use it just like you would the star menu. So I don't see how you're mystically less productive with something that is 99% the same in terms of use for a desktop.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
And that says something about you.

Seriously, it's quite possible to use Windows 8 and practically never hit the metro screen. And even then, you can use it just like you would the star menu. So I don't see how you're mystically less productive with something that is 99% the same in terms of use for a desktop.

I don't own a Win8 machine, so every encounter with 8 so far, I've had to deal with the gawd awful Metro interface. Metro is nothing like the WIMP UI. I can't get squat done in Metro. Once I get into the desktop, that's when I can get some stuff done. For serious work though, I always go command line. Gets the equivalent of dozens of mouse clicks worth with only a few keystrokes.

My beef is with Metro. Once on the desktop, I find 8 slightly faster than 7. still, I'll stick with 7 until MS banish Metro to the rubbish bin where it belongs. Honestly, computers are getting faster and faster, yet the GUI is make US do more work instead of the computer. With the CLI the computer does nearly all the work. The great thing about OS X and Linux is easy access to the terminal.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I don't own a Win8 machine, so every encounter with 8 so far, I've had to deal with the gawd awful Metro interface. Metro is nothing like the WIMP UI. I can't get squat done in Metro. Once I get into the desktop, that's when I can get some stuff done. For serious work though, I always go command line. Gets the equivalent of dozens of mouse clicks worth with only a few keystrokes.

My beef is with Metro. Once on the desktop, I find 8 slightly faster than 7. still, I'll stick with 7 until MS banish Metro to the rubbish bin where it belongs. Honestly, computers are getting faster and faster, yet the GUI is make US do more work instead of the computer. With the CLI the computer does nearly all the work. The great thing about OS X and Linux is easy access to the terminal.

You don't have to use Metro in Windows 8 beyond using it to search for things. And in that way, it's awesome. 8.1 makes it even better. And if you want a command line, there's always the command prompt that you can use...

Edit: I apologize for being snippy, I guess the ZDnet crowd has had a negative effect on me. Kind of get used to people whose main response is the "I used Windows 8 and it's so horrible I have cancer now" type of sentiment.

Renzatic

Suspended
And if you want a command line, there's always the command prompt that you can use...

The command line? Comeon. Real nerds use Powershell.
arms.gif

Renzatic

Suspended
I guess I'm not a nerd. What's so good about the Powershell?

It's like what (I think) Localoid is saying. It's not exactly like BASH, considering it's more object oriented, but it is very BASH-similar.

Honestly, I can't go too indepth about the pluses and minuses of one over the other. I only ever use the command line in both Linux and Windows for a handful of things that are just easier to do there, and stick to the GUI for everything else. But from my dabbling between the two, they're comparable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.