Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylangurl21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Hey guys, I've recently bought a 5g ipod, but i've left it sealed in case I want to return it! I've been recently importing DVDs, specifically sex and teh city, using HandBreak as specified by ilounge. However, 1 half hour show end up being 500 mb! This seems way too large to me..and if they are really this large, I think I'm going to return the Ipod cuz all the stuff I want on it wont fit anyway!

Any suggetions? How big are things you've imported?

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Using Quicktime 7 Pro

~210MB for 45mins
~115MB for 20mines

Ao it's about 5mb per min for me.

You using H.264 in handbrake? You might also want to lower the bitrate if you want smaller file sizes.

dylangurl21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks for the suggestions.. I'll modify my handBrake to the settings recommended in that website..and see how it goes!

bepster

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
remember, the maximum resolution of h.264 is lower than mpeg4 so if you have max resolution with an mpeg4 conversion, the final file size is bigger!

I converted all my movies to mpeg4 and at a nice bitrate so that they look almost like dvd on a tv-screen!
a fulllengh movie is about 1 - 1.3 gb after my conversion...

but 500 mb sounds very big for 30 minutes thou...

dylangurl21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Ok, I'm down to around 100 mb per half hour..which seems a lot more reasonable to me given the screen is only 1.5 inches.

Has anyone had any problems with really dark videos being imported? Any way to correc this?

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
I'm working on importing DVDs with Handbrake today. Does anyone have suggestions for working around DVDs that do not have the full title selected after the detection? It's keeping me from getting some discs onto my iPod, luckily my family members have got a few other Macs to speed up the process.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Superdrive said:
I'm working on importing DVDs with Handbrake today. Does anyone have suggestions for working around DVDs that do not have the full title selected after the detection? It's keeping me from getting some discs onto my iPod, luckily my family members have got a few other Macs to speed up the process.

Use MacTheRipper first. Then Handbrake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.