Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captainm1uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Hi why oh why do US version of ATV get all the best apps and us poor brits get left in the cold with the dreggs :(

C'mon Apple get them on :apple:

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I kind off 'want' Apple t.v. for my existing macbook/airport extreme/iphone 5

If I were younger I would have bought it anyway

I must admit there are 'reasons' not to purchase

'airplay'/mirroring would require my macbook 'open' powered on (its in my living room anyway)

the result would be itune rented movies on my Samsung lcd t.v. in living room hopefully 'wirelessly' its the 'need to leave mcbpro 'on' whilst my t.v is on to watch a movie....so thats mcbpro/apple t.v./lcd t.v. all full power to watch a rented movie?

not yet convinced :(

Stewart21

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
South Yorkshire
You can of course use your iPhone to Airplay to the Apple TV. It's only £75 refurbished or from Amazon. I use it for Netflix from my iPad, the rest is rubbish at the moment but it will gradually get better.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
You can of course use your iPhone to Airplay to the Apple TV. It's only £75 refurbished or from Amazon. I use it for Netflix from my iPad, the rest is rubbish at the moment but it will gradually get better.

Amazon does look to be the most likely 'retailer'

Do you know the difference between the 2 'latest models? currently on Amazon, both are 2012 ATV3 models why is one a few quid more expensive than the other
my 'wee 32" 720 LCD is brill for my flat so I don't sepcifically require 1080 HD viewing -720 wil be fine just wondered if that was why there are 2 atv 3 models

Thanks for the 'tip' for the refurbs -is there any risk in getting a refurb will it be a atv 3?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I kind off 'want' Apple t.v. for my existing macbook/airport extreme/iphone 5

If I were younger I would have bought it anyway

I must admit there are 'reasons' not to purchase

'airplay'/mirroring would require my macbook 'open' powered on (its in my living room anyway)

the result would be itune rented movies on my Samsung lcd t.v. in living room hopefully 'wirelessly' its the 'need to leave mcbpro 'on' whilst my t.v is on to watch a movie....so thats mcbpro/apple t.v./lcd t.v. all full power to watch a rented movie?

not yet convinced :(

Why do you need to leave your MacBook on to watch content you have purchased from iTunes. Your can stream all your purchased content from the cloud directly to your TV and you don't end any other iOS devices to be on.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Why do you need to leave your MacBook on to watch content you have purchased from iTunes. Your can stream all your purchased content from the cloud directly to your TV and you don't end any other iOS devices to be on.

cool i've prob got a basic appreciation of the features/benefits of ATV

Amazon atv3 very soon me thinks, what is the 'difference' atv3 march 20012 model 76.00 atv3 new model 97.99

The 'tech difference please not the cost differe:eek:nce

Stewart21

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
South Yorkshire
cool i've prob got a basic appreciation of the features/benefits of ATV

Amazon atv3 very soon me thinks, what is the 'difference' atv3 march 20012 model 76.00 atv3 new model 97.99

The 'tech difference please not the cost differe:eek:nce

There is no difference whatsoever in technical terms. Might be a grey import. For peace of mind a "genuine" UK model refurb from the Apple Store is £75 and as good as new. The difference is it has a three-pin plug. Some of the grey imports may come with a two pin plug and adapter. You will need an HDMI cable if you don't have one. Just buy the cheapest you can find there's no difference between a £2 cable and a £30 one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.