Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is 1GB RAM enough on an A7 64 bit device like iPad Air?

• Yes

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • Yes its good enough for most users and for most tasks.

Votes: 29 30.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
No explanations only votes. We need a definitive opinion from the most active apple users on the internets, so the prospective buyers can make a better informed decision.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
No explanations only votes. We need a definitive opinion from the most active apple users on the internets, so the prospective buyers can come make a better informed decision.

You do know that this thread will be buried within a few days or a week or so, and the new prospective buyer will not even see it.

And there was another thread on the very same subject just a short time ago (Days) and that has now been buried as well unless someone finds it again. But, by all means bring this subject up again ;)

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
You do know that this thread will be buried within a few days or a week or so, and the new prospective buyer will not even see it.

And there was another thread on the very same subject just a short time ago (Days) and that has now been buried as well unless someone finds it again. But, by all means bring this subject up again ;)

I don't see a poll, can you post for me a link? And even if this thread gets buried, atleast a few users would benefit from this, and lets hope it gets into the google index. A poll really saves you the trouble of reading a 100 page thread full of tech jargon, gibberish, and personal taunts.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
We need a definitive opinion from the most active apple users on the internets, so the prospective buyers can make a better informed decision.

So you're not concerned with any facts, just opinions about what might be causing the issues some people are facing? :confused:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
So you're not concerned with any facts, just opinions about what might be causing the issues some people are facing? :confused:

And where are these facts? Only speculation so far - both for those who think RAM is not an issue, and those who think it is.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I don't see a poll, can you post for me a link? And even if this thread gets buried, atleast a few users would benefit from this, and lets hope it gets into the google index. A poll really saves you the trouble of reading a 100 page thread full of tech jargon, gibberish, and personal taunts.

No explanations only votes. We need a definitive opinion from the most active apple users on the internets, so the prospective buyers can make a better informed decision.

Again, how is this going to help those a few days or weeks from now when this thread is buried beneath the tons of threads that are going to come after it ? They won't see it, it won't help. Not to mention, the poll will not be much assistance since any online polls are flawed with only a few posters out of the millions that buy the product. I understand you want to help, but this is not going to do it.

HappyFunnyCrap

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
HI,
I think 1GB RAM running hi-resolution 32 bit low-mem-cost Apps is probably enough. But multi-tasking and 64 bit? I can't take it serious(take the example as chrome or safari multi-tabs frequently reload).

1GB on 64bit? Maybe it's a joke. 64bit Apps cost way more memory than 32bit. Plus, retina screen will take a lot memory as GPU cache. The whole thing feels like Ram 256M on iPad 1 (which cannot be upgraded to iOS7, while same type of CPU with 512M iPhone 4 can).

For I really don't like this!Apple always do it this way(BEST CPU, SHABBY RAM) to make you buy the new ones! All retina IPADs : 3G, 4G, 5G -- 1GB RAM. Other i-devices : iPhone 3G, iPhone 4s, iPad 1, iPod touch 4&5, IPAD MINI1, . All progressively suffering from low memory later. ----- Unfortunately, I have 3 of them, the lower-men devices(and recently I got an iPad air.....I really didn't thinking about ram that time.......). An unjailed-itouch 4 keeps quitting game on IOS5 or IOS6(not on IOS4). Since IOS6, there is countless low memory system report on iPhone 4S(NEVER SEEN ON IOS5). And iPad air on IOS7? Already people see low memory report just on its first OS... I can't agree that 1 GB ram on air is low pressure.

Anyway, if just reading, social networking, 1GB will be okay now and 2 years later. But Game or 64 bit apps? I cannot think about it.

Last edited:

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
HI,
I think 1GB RAM running hi-resolution 32 bit low-mem-cost Apps is probably enough. But multi-tasking and 64 bit? I can't take it serious(take the example as chrome or safari multi-tabs frequently reload).

1GB on 64bit? Maybe it's a joke. 64bit Apps cost way more memory than 32bit. Plus, retina screen will take a lot memory as GPU cache. The whole thing feels like Ram 256M on iPad 1 (which cannot be upgraded to iOS7, while same type of CPU with 512M iPhone 4 can).

For I really don't like this!Apple always do it this way(BEST CPU, SHABBY RAM) to make you buy the new ones! All retina IPADs : 3G, 4G, 5G -- 1GB RAM. Other i-devices : iPhone 3G, iPhone 4s, iPad 1, iPod touch 4&5, IPAD MINI1, . All progressively suffering from low memory later. ----- Unfortunately, I have 3 of them, the lower-men devices(and recently I got an iPad air.....I really didn't thinking about ram that time.......). An unjailed-itouch 4 keeps quitting game on IOS5 or IOS6(not on IOS4). Since IOS6, there is countless low memory system report on iPhone 4S(NEVER SEEN ON IOS5). And iPad air on IOS7? Already people see low memory report just on its first OS... I can't agree that 1 GB ram on air is low pressure.

Anyway, if just reading, social networking, 1GB will be okay now and 2 years later. But Game or 64 bit apps? I cannot think about it.

While I appreciate your detailed review, here this poll is just about straight shooting a vote, instead of explaining how why and what. Make sure you vote as you feel, so people can know. I personally would like to know so I can buy now or wait.

So far 62% people think that 1GB is enough for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.