Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
With the Moto X dropping to $349/$399 cyber Monday, which is the better choice?

Ragnarianrok

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2013
I think it'll really come down to screen and device size. Do you want a smaller device? And how much do you care about Moto Maker to personalize the colors of your device?

Nearly everything else is negligible. The performance and experience is nearly the same. Updates will be nearly the same (obviously a slight edge to the Nexus). Even the advantages of MX's Active Notification or Touchless voice activation are negligible thanks to apps and Google Now improving.

Each device has a slight edge over the other in specific areas, but ultimately, the big differentiator is screen/device size, in my opinion.

Either way, it's really nice there are two amazing options for the same price. Too bad this option only exists for one day.

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Considering the Nexus has the better display, processor and build quality, I think the answer is quite obvious.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
As a nexus 5 user, I would say the MotoX. It feels GREAT in the hand and day-to-day usage is the same on both devices.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Being the same price, I would take the moto x. Active notifications, voice controls, and the driving features are awesome. Also battery life is incredible.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Does the Moto X have the same amount of GSM bands as the Nexus 5? Can I use it pretty much anywhere in the world? Non-LTE networks, obviously.

Both phones certainly have their strong points, but I like how the Moto X is in certain areas. And I can use it on Verizon for the time being. This Cyber Monday special is a really good deal.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Pro's for Nexus 5: Wireless charging, top of the line CPU/GPU, true HD quality screen, pure Android experience, first in line for updates, bigger display, true 'world' phone and has the most developers.

Pro's for Moto X: Always on voice commands, active notifications, easier one hand operation, better speakers, better camera, stronger modem/receiver and most importantly, offers a unique experience.

If I had a choice between the two, I lean slightly towards the Moto X, even though I own a Nexus 5.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
As someone who owns a Nexus 5 and did own a Moto X, I will say that for me the biggest differentiating factor is the difference in screen size. The Moto X has some things going for it, louder speaker, better battery life, and touchless controls. On the other hand, the Nexus has wireless charging (which is extremely awesome in the car), and a larger screen. All in all, I found the biggest differentiating factor between them, to be the screen. Honestly, if the Moto X had a 5" screen, I'd choose it over the Nexus 5. I like the things the Moto X brings to the table, but I'd like to see the screen be just a tad bit larger (go to 5").

Ragnarianrok

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2013
Pro's for Nexus 5: Wireless charging, top of the line CPU/GPU, true HD quality screen, pure Android experience, first in line for updates, bigger display, true 'world' phone and has the most developers.

Pro's for Moto X: Always on voice commands, active notifications, easier one hand operation, better speakers, better camera, stronger modem/receiver and most importantly, offers a unique experience.

If I had a choice between the two, I lean slightly towards the Moto X, even though I own a Nexus 5.

Good break down.

I'm enjoying my Nexus 5, but for whatever reason, want to get the Moto X, too! Just gadget-lust, I guess.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I have been asking myself this same question.

I have and love the N5 - in particular the screen and wireless charging.

However, there's just that allure to the Moto X. I might just snag a Developer version... but probably not.

Had the prices been the same when the N5 came out, I think I'd have gotten the X, although it would have been a real toss-up.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013

However, there's just that allure to the Moto X. I might just snag a Developer version... but probably not.

Had the prices been the same when the N5 came out, I think I'd have gotten the X, although it would have been a real toss-up.

Honestly, the overall experience between the two phones are nearly identical. When I had my Moto X, I found that my experience wasn't much different from the Nexus 4. I went with the Nexus 5 simply because of the larger screen size.

Ragnarianrok

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2013

There's something really charming about the Moto X, isn't there?

If only it had been priced this competitively from the get go instead of on this single day with limited supplies. :(

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I'd still opt for a Nexus 5. Wireless charging is great, so is the 1080p IPS screen (better visibility in sunlight in my experience) and the Snapdragon 800 that's still bleeding edge.

Moto X is nice for its physical customization, US assembly, AMOLED color saturation, and that notification system that I hope in some fashion gets implemented into Nexus 5 with a custom ROM or something (but I know only AMOLED can do selective backlighting to accomplish this without taxing the battery). I know you can shake the phone to launch camera app too in a pinch, but are there are any other Moto X exclusive innovations I've missed out on mentioning?

-Nexus 5 owner

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

it seems like a bunch of us are in that same boat. The good thing is if you buy a moto x and decide you like it better, you could easily sell your n5 and break even.

Ragnarianrok

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2013
it seems like a bunch of us are in that same boat. The good thing is if you buy a moto x and decide you like it better, you could easily sell your n5 and break even.

You think so? The nexus 5 used can be sold for $350 or more if you want to consider what was spent on tax?

I don't know if I'm that optimistic about its current value...

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
I'd still opt for a Nexus 5. Wireless charging is great, so is the 1080p IPS screen (better visibility in sunlight in my experience) and the Snapdragon 800 that's still bleeding edge.

Moto X is nice for its physical customization, US assembly, AMOLED color saturation, and that notification system that I hope in some fashion gets implemented into Nexus 5 with a custom ROM or something (but I know only AMOLED can do selective backlighting to accomplish this without taxing the battery). I know you can shake the phone to launch camera app too in a pinch, but are there are any other Moto X exclusive innovations I've missed out on mentioning?

-Nexus 5 owner

It has the always listening and the driving assist thing, the Nexus 5 does not have either if I'm correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.