Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VerisanAlex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
I've been a Windows user all my life and now i have decided to switch to OS, i want to buy the 21.5" iMac and since i will buy it from Europe i have to pay more for each component so i have a limited amount of money.

The one i want it starts at 2.186$ it's the 21.5" 2.9 Ghz with NVIDIA GT750M 1GB and for each upgrade i have to pay 277$ and i know for sure i'm going to get the 1TB FusionDrive.

I need your help in choosing the second upgrade between 16GB of RAM or the i7 processor because i can't get both.

I am going to use it mainly for web design and web developing and some video editing here and there. Wich one do you recomand?

Thanks.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
I would go for RAM. You can't expend it, and I don't think 8 GB will cut it in 5 years. 16 GB probably will.

The i5 should be more than fine for websites and all your regular. Stuff. The processor might be a little bit slower than the i7, but I think you'll primarily notice this during rendering. And when you're rendering, you're already wating. So instead of 40 minutes, it might be 30 minutes. To me, that's not a big deal. Especially if you render during the night.

A good video card and CUDA might help you more in video than a processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.