Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rick-ITA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
Hello, I just bought a rMBP and I'm looking whether to buy an Airport Time Capsule.

Problem is that I don't understand what I can do with that. Can I use it only for time machine backup or also as an external wi-fi HDD?

Basically I will buy it if I can do the following:

1) Make a partition such that I can use 500-800 GB for time machine backup and the remaining 2.2 - 2-5 Tb as external hard drive.

2) I'm able to access the hard drive everywhere (like a server) and also a win user is able to access it.

Can I do it?

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
You can't partition the drive as it is, you'd have to remove the drive from the Time Capsule and treat it like a normal USB drive then partition with disk utility.

You can use the drive on your local network (OS X and Windows, though be aware of disk formatting compatibility when using with windows) you can also access remotely (outside your network) if configured correctly.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Instead of partitioning, many here use the internal drive for time machine backups and plug in an external USB drive for file sharing.

Htin

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2013
i just my time capsule to store music, videos, documents. i don't use time machine.

Rick-ITA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
First thanks everyone who replied.

Using 2 Tb for time machine is an overkill, my SSD is just 128Gb. Once I decide to use 500gb for time machine (4 backups) it's more than enough for me.

You can't partition the drive as it is, you'd have to remove the drive from the Time Capsule and treat it like a normal USB drive then partition with disk utility.

What does it means? How can I remove the internal disk and connect it via usb to my mac?

EDIT: what if I add a writable .DMG file with a fixed size and use it for time machine backup? (just found this on internet)

Last edited:

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK

Using 2 Tb for time machine is an overkill, my SSD is just 128Gb. Once I decide to use 500gb for time machine (4 backups) it's more than enough for me.

What does it means? How can I remove the internal disk and connect it via usb to my mac?

Removing the HDD isn't exactly straightforward. To give you an idea here is how to remove the base, and here is a detailed look at the drive swap.. So, not exactly user friendly!

If you're happy to do that (I'd agree with the guys above, just use folders) then you'd also need an external HDD caddy/enclosure to connect the drive to your MacBook.

It's a lot of hassle to get it the way you envision it unfortunately.

Edit: have a look at this YouTube tutorial to help you limit the time capsule's backup size. I've not tested it myself but looks like it works.

Last edited:

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)

I looked up a bunch of different methods to limit Time Machine backups, but at the time (a year or two ago) I concluded none worked reliably enough for me to try them.

Here's a (reliable) different suggestion: plug a smaller USB disk drive into the Time Capsule, and use it for the TM backups. (You might have an older one lying around, or can get one cheap). Then you can use the entire internal disk of the TC for your shared storage. This has the advantage that using TM to backup to the external USB disk is a "supported" configuration by Apple.

(I think these TCs are great devices, but I wish Apple would make an easy way to limit the backup size, as the OP'ers desire comes up often!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.