Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
Need an iPod to use at the gym and out and about....

Do you recommend the iPod classic or iPod nano?

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I used an iPod nano everyday before the screen cracked. Used it walking/biking to class, working out, etc. I absolutely loved it, but one drop cracked the screen to the point where nothing shows up. I'm sure that wont happen to you though, I wasn't too careful with it.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Need an iPod to use at the gym and out and about....

Do you recommend the iPod classic or iPod nano?

I'd say for your stated needs the iPod Nano would be a better choice.
Small, light, and with flash storage (not so susceptible to damage from say dropping the iPod).
16 gbs ought to be plenty of room for music for going to the gym, etc.
However, if you really need or want to store a lot of music the iPod Classic is pretty much unbeatable.
I really enjoy owning my Classic.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
For the gym? Nano. I love my classic, but it sure is a brick in comparison to the other iPods. Wouldn't want to be working out with that thing lugging around in my pockets.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
For the gym? Nano. I love my classic, but it sure is a brick in comparison to the other iPods. Wouldn't want to be working out with that thing lugging around in my pockets.

For the gym and to use out and about!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'd say for your stated needs the iPod Nano would be a better choice.
Small, light, and with flash storage (not so susceptible to damage from say dropping the iPod).
16 gbs ought to be plenty of room for music for going to the gym, etc.
However, if you really need or want to store a lot of music the iPod Classic is pretty much unbeatable.
I really enjoy owning my Classic.

This post sums it up pretty well.

It really depends on your planned use. For the gym, - especially if the gym is a priority for you and your post suggests that it is - I would recommend the iPod Nano for all of the reasons others already suggested; small size, flash storage, and extremely portable.

However, if you want to have a very large music library which you can take everywhere with you, nothing beats the classic. I have the classic, and it travels everywhere with me; while I like the form factor of the Nano, it simply doesn't have enough space for the sort of music library I like to carry around.

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
I'd go for the Nano. My Classic died on me this summer. Harddrive based ipods haven't shown much durability in my use. Had several iPod Videos and as mentioned, one classic. They all died from harddrive failiure.

Running and such exposes the drive to alot of small shocks. The cache makes so the songs don't skip, but all that movement can't be good for the drive.

And with the Nano you get a better UI. Only drawback for the nano is the limited space, if you can cope with that. You should go for the Nano.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I prefer the iPod nano 7 for the gym.

Hi,

I think the iPod nano is best for the gym. I bought one for when I work out and it works great and it has the built in Nike + app which has different options such as a pedometer for steps or you can track your runs based on calories burned, miles/kilometers, time and more. You can personalize the app to yourself such as your weight and height so it can track calories.

The single 16gb size drives some people away but 16gb is enough for going to the gym and is normally enough for the average person. I actually have some Star Trek movies and i set my iPod nano on the book stand for the treadmill and watch them while i run.

Also, the new iPod nano is very light-weight and is iOS like so you will have quick navigation while on the run.

Lastly, if you drop the iPod nano it wont break as easily or skip during songs because of its flash memory.
Hope this helps.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
Hi,

I think the iPod nano is best for the gym. I bought one for when I work out and it works great and it has the built in Nike + app which has different options such as a pedometer for steps or you can track your runs based on calories burned, miles/kilometers, time and more. You can personalize the app to yourself such as your weight and height so it can track calories.

The single 16gb size drives some people away but 16gb is enough for going to the gym and is normally enough for the average person. I actually have some Star Trek movies and i set my iPod nano on the book stand for the treadmill and watch them while i run.

Also, the new iPod nano is very light-weight and is iOS like so you will have quick navigation while on the run.

Lastly, if you drop the iPod nano it wont break as easily or skip during songs because of its flash memory.
Hope this helps.

hi
thanks for the reply. it will be used out and about like on the train etc...

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Well...

hi
thanks for the reply. it will be used out and about like on the train etc...

Well as i said before i think the nano is the best work out device but if your going to use it for the train too (or other activities; not just for the gym) I would chose the classic because you could fit lots of music as well as tons of movies. U will not have the nike + or fm radio but that could be a fair trade for the 160GB size and screen size. I still kinda prefer that the nano is touch and has flash but i think that can be done without. If i chose an iPod for the train i would prefer the touch because you have a large screen, several storage sizes (just not as much as the 160GB classic) and you can play games along the way plus it will still continue to get updates for another year or two. If you have the budget for a iPod Touch I would recommend that but choose what best fits your budgets and meets your needs.

I hope my opinion is very helpful not only for you, the thread starter, but for anyone else in the market for a new iPod.

Best of Luck.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.