Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Yes, you'd need to take the plug and an HDMI cable, and re-configure the Wifi when you move it.

DaPhatty

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Keep in mind that your wifi connection needs to be adequate. Most hotel wifi signals don't qualify.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Rhetorical: So now hotels is not enough to give you the capability to check your email, they have to provide you with enough bandwidth for video streaming?

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
also, even if the hotel has wifi, and its a good enough signal, a lot of them have those (browser based) landing pages where you either need to accept conditions or sign in with some credentials they give you

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I have been in hotels with a wired ethernet cable, but not often!

Really? I find that more often than wifi.

I travel with my Airport Express. So i create my own strong hotspot out of room's wired connection.

Reactions: LiveM

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Really? I find that more often than wifi.

I travel with my Airport Express. So i create my own strong hotspot out of room's wired connection.

Last hotel i was in i did this, it still was painfully slow.

i was planning on airplaying stuff already on my iPad to watch shows, but the HDMI port on the TV had been disabled, so was pointless.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
That's why I take a Mini to hotels. I'm sure that it contains 100 movies and download is not relevant.

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
All you'll need is
Apple TV
HDMI cable
iPad / iPhone loaded with TV shows / Movies
Nano Router (something like this http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR702N )

Only problem is that there won't be any internet connection unless some how you can bridge the hotel's network. Another issue is the log in page for the hotel's network. If you don't care about internet access, you'll just need those items. Enjoy!

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
Only problem is that there won't be any internet connection unless some how you can bridge the hotel's network. Another issue is the log in page for the hotel's network. If you don't care about internet access, you'll just need those items. Enjoy!

You should be able to sign on to hotel internet with MBP. Turn on internet sharing in preferences. Open the airport drop down menu from the menu bar icon at the top right of your screen. Turn airport on and choose "create new network". Name your network and create a wep key if you want to encript the network. The airport icon in the menu bar should now have an up arrow, indicating it is transmitting as a base station. Connect ATV to that network. Haven't tried it personally, but I think it should work.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
You should be able to sign on to hotel internet with MBP. Turn on internet sharing in preferences. Open the airport drop down menu from the menu bar icon at the top right of your screen. Turn airport on and choose "create new network". Name your network and create a wep key if you want to encript the network. The airport icon in the menu bar should now have an up arrow, indicating it is transmitting as a base station. Connect ATV to that network. Haven't tried it personally, but I think it should work.

This will work, as long as the hotel provides a hardwired ethernet connection. You can't share from Wifi to Wifi.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I have a Gen 1 Apple TV, WiFI card removed and replaced with an H.264 decoder

the 140gb of storage means i can load it up, and take it with me and not worry about having to be connected to view the days and days of content

the new Gen 2 and Gen 3 apple TVs , whilst physically more portable, are, by lack of on board storage and usability "offline" actually less portable IMO than the Gen 1 Apple TV

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
I thought this was going to be about powering the thing with an inverter,
connecting to an iPhone, and lugging a HDMI TV around some how.
How disappointing!

You could maybe read a book (Charles Dickens is good), listen to a radio,
watch TV, get intimate with yourself, write some poetry
(as lame as that sounds, you never know where that might lead), and/or do some pushups.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
also, even if the hotel has wifi, and its a good enough signal, a lot of them have those (browser based) landing pages where you either need to accept conditions or sign in with some credentials they give you

Won't the new bluetooth setup option take care of this problem?
Use your iPhone to login to the hotel Wifi and then "tap" the Apple TV to transfer the correct credentials.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
Won't the new bluetooth setup option take care of this problem?
Use your iPhone to login to the hotel Wifi and then "tap" the Apple TV to transfer the correct credentials.

not sure, haven't tested it myself nor heard of people doing this. it would be great if it worked though

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
That's why I take a Mini to hotels. I'm sure that it contains 100 movies and download is not relevant.

Psh. Sorry, but that wouldn't cut it for me. I need to stream my entire movie, photo, and music library when I'm at a hotel for an overnight business trip.

That's why I always bring my Mac Pro with keyboard and mouse for this very reason. Anything less is just asking to be disappointed.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Rhetorical: So now hotels is not enough to give you the capability to check your email, they have to provide you with enough bandwidth for video streaming?

i'm not sure i picked up on any air of entitlement in the posts preceding this one if that's what you were implying... i took it that it was brought up in anticipation of what the OP was looking to do.

----------

Psh. Sorry, but that wouldn't cut it for me. I need to stream my entire movie, photo, and music library when I'm at a hotel for an overnight business trip.

That's why I always bring my Mac Pro with keyboard and mouse for this very reason. Anything less is just asking to be disappointed.

you don't bring your TBD? what a loser:p

----------

Yes, it used to run on OS X, too. :rolleyes:

it's funny how the older models sell for much more ...because they have harddrives. my buddy bought an old conversion van for tailgating and trips. we ripped out the interior a/v equipment and put in a flatscreen. he paid way more than $100 for the aTV2 with a hard drive....but it's awesome for movies for the kids on a long trip. and then for the adults when you get to the rental you just bring it inside and watch whatever you want.

it's also jailbreakable.

I love my aTV3 but I definitely see the appeal of the older models...and of bringing it places!

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Getting back on topic…

I took my Apple TV with me to a vacation house rental (in Cape Code) last year. WiFi in house. Worked very nicely. I did not take the ATV with us on our trip to Ireland this year, but when I did try to use the WiFi that was offered in the various places we were staying, I frequently found the speed to be sub-par, so the ATV probably wouldn't have performed well, anyway.

Another thing to consider…I have Plex Media Server running on a desktop in my home and have decent upload speeds. If you have Plex running at home, and found yourself with less-than-stellar download speeds in your hotel, you could do a download/conversion of a movie you wanted to watch, and Plex would essentially do the conversion and send you the movie to store directly on your device, so that you could play it later (without interruption). I honestly have not tried this feature out, so if I'm wrong on any of the details, some other Plex expert can correct me.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Getting back on topic…

I took my Apple TV with me to a vacation house rental (in Cape Code) last year. WiFi in house. Worked very nicely. I did not take the ATV with us on our trip to Ireland this year, but when I did try to use the WiFi that was offered in the various places we were staying, I frequently found the speed to be sub-par, so the ATV probably wouldn't have performed well, anyway.

Another thing to consider…I have Plex Media Server running on a desktop in my home and have decent upload speeds. If you have Plex running at home, and found yourself with less-than-stellar download speeds in your hotel, you could do a download/conversion of a movie you wanted to watch, and Plex would essentially do the conversion and send you the movie to store directly on your device, so that you could play it later (without interruption). I honestly have not tried this feature out, so if I'm wrong on any of the details, some other Plex expert can correct me.

I have packed an ATV, and an AE for trips where, I store videos on my iPad.

Then Airplay them across that local network.

All without hacking either.

Granted, it would be really swell if Apple would incorporate Airport access point capability into the AppleTV so I could trim down to the single device.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
I have packed an ATV, and an AE for trips where, I store videos on my iPad.

Then Airplay them across that local network.

All without hacking either.

Granted, it would be really swell if Apple would incorporate Airport access point capability into the AppleTV so I could trim down to the single device.

How did you set this up? I tried doing the same, but couldn't get it to work.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Thats an oooold post.

But. You setup Airport Express to be a normal gateway/access point.

When iPhone connects, it will be pissed off because there may or may not be no internet, but it will connect.

Airplay should show up as an option for streaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.