Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gift for 10-year old: Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini, or iPad Mini Retina?

• Kindle Fire HD 7" 16GB ($100 at Best Buy, 2012 model)

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • iPad Mini 16GB ($200 at Best Buy after $100 GC)

Votes: 47 60.3%
  • iPad Mini Retina 16 GB ($400 everywhere)

Votes: 19 24.4%

• Total voters

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Economics of course do play part into this question, but also want to get my kids each one of these that makes most sense. They each also have an iPod Touch 5th Gen.

For a tablet, their use will be reading Kindle books (they each have old Kindles that can transfer the books from the cloud onto any of these devices), watching some videos (Amazon Prime Instant Videos, Xfinity, ESPN), playing little games, and can grab their Gmail from time to time. I don't think web browsing would be a high % activity.

Obviously the iPad can do everything (I love mine!), but keeping in mind my total cost (one for each kid) and what they look to do with the tablet in addition to keeping their iPod Touch devices, which would would make the most sense for me to get for them?

1. Kindle Fire HD 7" 16GB ($100 at Best Buy, 2012 model)
  2. iPad Mini 16GB ($200 at Best Buy after $100 GC)
  3. iPad Mini Retina 16 GB ($400 everywhere)

Thanks in advance for your comments and voting in this poll!

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm thinking the iPad mini for $200 each, because any apps they have bought or buy in the future for their iPod touches will also work on the iPad. The rMini is more future-proof, if you think that's within your budget, but for *right now* the mini works almost as well as the rMini.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
If it's exclusively for your 10 year old, I would say get the original Mini. It should last him for a while and you can't beat the App store for education apps as well as others.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
My niece and nephew are almost 6 & 8 and I went with the Nook HD from Barnes and Noble. Their deal went live the night before Thanksgiving. Got the 7" 16GB model for $99. Not bad! I think was a good choice for their ages.

For a 10 year old, I voted for the iPad Mini.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I voted for the iPad mini (non retina) as they can keep their games and read books through the Kindle app. That said, the Kindle Fire wouldn't be a bad choice either.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
Another vote for the original mini here, my little girl is also getting one for Christmas :)

Adam.

Last edited:

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
iPad Mini 16GB. My GF is getting one for her 10 year old son. I also bought one for my Mom.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Chalk up another vote for the non-retina mini.
Great gift for the young ones which I'm sure they will appreciate. :)

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Economics of course do play part into this question, but also want to get my kids each one of these that makes most sense. They each also have an iPod Touch 5th Gen.

For a tablet, their use will be reading Kindle books (they each have old Kindles that can transfer the books from the cloud onto any of these devices), watching some videos (Amazon Prime Instant Videos, Xfinity, ESPN), playing little games, and can grab their Gmail from time to time. I don't think web browsing would be a high % activity.

Obviously the iPad can do everything (I love mine!), but keeping in mind my total cost (one for each kid) and what they look to do with the tablet in addition to keeping their iPod Touch devices, which would would make the most sense for me to get for them?

1. Kindle Fire HD 7" 16GB ($100 at Best Buy, 2012 model)
  2. iPad Mini 16GB ($200 at Best Buy after $100 GC)
  3. iPad Mini Retina 16 GB ($400 everywhere)

Thanks in advance for your comments and voting in this poll!

I voted 2 but then if they are reading on it maybe 3. My 11 year old daughter got a mini V1 last xmas, but doesn't read books on it. Retina makes a difference.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I took the kids to the local Best Buy to play around with each device. Oddly, they both like the Kindle Fire HD more than the iPad Mini. To me, that is crazy. To my wallet, I don't mind too much :)

For the kids, I definitely ruled out the iPad Mini Retina. I love mine and for my use it's worth it. But really, I can buy #1 and #2 combined for $100 less. Worst-case, they can use the Kindle for reading and the iPad for anything else. But really, just one device for each is what I am looking to get.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I took the kids to the local Best Buy to play around with each device. Oddly, they both like the Kindle Fire HD more than the iPad Mini. To me, that is crazy. To my wallet, I don't mind too much :).

Did you ask them why they like the kindle better? Also, if you are thinking of a device just for reading, how about the Kimdle Paperwhite?

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Did you ask them why they like the kindle better? Also, if you are thinking of a device just for reading, how about the Kimdle Paperwhite?

We've actually got the old Kindles with the little keyboard at the bottom. At night they clip on a little light sometimes when reading before bed. That Paperwhite is pretty nice IMO, but for about the same money, I figured that the Kindle Fire HD would be more versatile and even to my eyes, seemed to have a very sharp display.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
We've actually got the old Kindles with the little keyboard at the bottom. At night they clip on a little light sometimes when reading before bed. That Paperwhite is pretty nice IMO, but for about the same money, I figured that the Kindle Fire HD would be more versatile and even to my eyes, seemed to have a very sharp display.

Huh. I didn't realize they had a Fire for such a low price!

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I've had all of the full size iPads. But I just bought a Kindle Fire HDX 7". I really love it for reading and the ability to download Prime instant Videos. That way I can load up and don't need wifi to stream when I travel. Plus reading is much easier. If you are a Prime member there are a lot of pluses (and since you mention the videos I assume you are).

Having said that, web browsing isn't good but I use my Air for that anyway. So if they plan only to read or watch videos I would say the Kindle. Then again with the mini any apps you've already bought can transfer. While there are nice free apps from Amazon there may not be their favorites.

All in all I would say it depends on how much you've already spent in th Apple App Store. A mini might be more future-proof for them.

mechanopony

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
You could also get a Nexus 7. Most of the apps are available for both iOS and Android. If you're already into the iOS environment though, then stick with it, and get a non-retina Mini.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I looked at the Nexus 7 and Nook as well, but what attracted me more to the Kindle Fire HD was the fact that we had a number of books already for their old basic Kindles and also that I subscribe to Amazon Prime and I don't believe the Nexus 7 had an app for playing Prime videos.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I looked at the Nexus 7 and Nook as well, but what attracted me more to the Kindle Fire HD was the fact that we had a number of books already for their old basic Kindles and also that I subscribe to Amazon Prime and I don't believe the Nexus 7 had an app for playing Prime videos.

You can read Kindle books and watch Amazon Prime videos on iPad / iPad mini.

Also last time I checked Kindle had very little protection against unauthorized purchases.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
You can read Kindle books and watch Amazon Prime videos on iPad / iPad mini.

Also last time I checked Kindle had very little protection against unauthorized purchases.

Yep, on my iPad Mini Retina, I can do everything ;)

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
iPad Air.......

I think I can answer this better than Most. Since my daughter was 2 1/2 she has had a tablet (kindle fire). The first one , second one and third. She is 4+ now and knows them better than me. She takes her kindle fire everywhere and knows it front to back.

When we went to the Apple Store something about the ipad always grabbed her attention, we never paid it too much mind.

Well finally we brought home the new ipad Air yesterday and her first words were this iPad is bigger than mine (kindle fire). She grabbed the iPad and started using it like a pro. The kindle fire and nook are actually low tier devices, you simply cannot compare them to the iPad.

My daughter is 4 and I will be getting her an iPad Air, if these kids are older it makes sense to give them the best. Forget about those other tablets, get them an iPad Air so they can have the best tablet on the market.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I took the kids to the local Best Buy to play around with each device. Oddly, they both like the Kindle Fire HD more than the iPad Mini. To me, that is crazy. To my wallet, I don't mind too much :)

For the kids, I definitely ruled out the iPad Mini Retina. I love mine and for my use it's worth it. But really, I can buy #1 and #2 combined for $100 less. Worst-case, they can use the Kindle for reading and the iPad for anything else. But really, just one device for each is what I am looking to get.

I vote kindle fire. Cheaper and you know it's gonna be abused and dropped by those bugger eating kids hehe

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
My daughter is 4 and I will be getting her an iPad Air, if these kids are older it makes sense to give them the best. Forget about those other tablets, get them an iPad Air so they can have the best tablet on the market.

Great to see someone who thinks exactly like my mom. She always got me the best of everything, and I feel I've had the best experiences because of that attitude. Your daughter is one lucky kid. I know she'll find great joy in the journeys an iPad can take her, with the loving guidance you are sure to provide.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
Great to see someone who thinks exactly like my mom. She always got me the best of everything, and I feel I've had the best experiences because of that attitude. Your daughter is one lucky kid. I know she'll find great joy in the journeys an iPad can take her, with the loving guidance you are sure to provide.

You know what, thanks.. Like for real means a lot.

I was never really given much growing up so I treat my daughter with everything I can. In my honest opinion I feel my daughter is so intelligent because of this. She loves her Kindle Fire and it's good, but Apple iPad is better and she has a new love.

Bigger screen with resolution, pictures, internet I mean everything just works better. So yeah I agree in giving my little one the best I can

Thanks

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
iPad Air.......

I think I can answer this better than Most. Since my daughter was 2 1/2 she has had a tablet (kindle fire). The first one , second one and third. She is 4+ now and knows them better than me. She takes her kindle fire everywhere and knows it front to back.

When we went to the Apple Store something about the ipad always grabbed her attention, we never paid it too much mind.

Well finally we brought home the new ipad Air yesterday and her first words were this iPad is bigger than mine (kindle fire). She grabbed the iPad and started using it like a pro. The kindle fire and nook are actually low tier devices, you simply cannot compare them to the iPad.

So glad these thing weren't around when my now 15 and 11 year old were little, they actually had a child hood. Different these days though, if us parents have them its hard to keep the kids away from them. And they both now have iPhone/ipod and iPad minis.

Not knocking your choice either :) Kids need to learn technology or they get left behind.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Well, I let my kids make the decision. After looking at both at the store, I presented them with 2 options...each gets the Kindle plus cash towards other tech "toys" or the iPad Mini. They debated for a bit and each decided on the Kindle and cash (I think they each want a little TV or also are discussing a Wii U).

Anyway, what was odd is that they think the Kindle was "cooler" (which I completely disagree with), did what they wanted it to do (books, games, watch videos), and they thought the screen was much sharper (that I do agree with when compared to the 1st gen iPad Mini).

They each used them non-stop last night and are working on getting their best bang for the buck with the additional cash. Not the choice that I would have made, but I'm glad they did and recognize the opportunity to make choices with a $200 total budget (per kid) and will try to maximize their gifts for what they want/need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.