Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vidikron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Anyone else feel the same way? Safari crashes constantly. It quits on me 5+ times per day and once every couple of days it quits and crashes entire iPad with it. One second I'm browsing the web and the next I'm looking at the black screen with the white Apple logo. And Safari may as well not even have tabs, the damn things refresh constantly. You change tabs and then come to find the previous tab needs to reload. You may as well just forget tabs and use bookmarks because that is about how useful they are.

And switching apps really isn't much better. I've lost progress in several games when I switched over to check email or check something on the web only to come back and find that my game dumped and needs to reload. Multitasking is almost impossible. But, hey, at least the app switcher looks pretty now, right? :mad:

I also still wish they would put a flash on these things. Yeah, yeah, spare me any drivel about not taking pics with an iPad. If they are going to put a camera on there is it too much to ask to do it right? I often use things like the Craigslist app to put up stuff for sale, but you need near perfect lighting to gets pics that are even only slightly crappy. Last night I needed to take a pic in my garage to show my friend a bike rack I was trying mount and it just came out as a black splotchy mess.

I don't know how much of the software issues can be resolved in future iOS7 revisions, but I'm afraid they crippled this stupid thing with a pitiful amount of RAM while also switching to 64-bit architecture which requires more RAM.

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Your experience doesn't sound normal. Try restoring the iPad as new and if these problems persist then take it to Genius Bar to have them look at it or get it swapped out.

Vidikron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Your experience doesn't sound normal. Try restoring the iPad as new and if these problems persist then take it to Genius Bar to have them look at it or get it swapped out.

If I restore as new will I lose all my saves for games and such?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If I restore as new will I lose all my saves for games and such?

Back it up first. Then restore as new and see if that solves the issue. You can then restore from the previous backup you made. If you suddenly have these issues again then you'll know that there was something buggy that was in your backup and you'll need to restore as new again and start over. You would indeed lose the game saves that are stored on the iPad itself. However, many games now sync your progress online--so it may not be as bad as you think.

I had similar issues and I've had to restore as new and start over. It's really, really annoying, but is usually the standard advice that a genius will give you unless they can find a hardware fault.

The genius will be able to tell you've tried to restore by the way--and it will make your trip to Apple more productive if you still get these crashes.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I’ve had my iPad Air now for 3 weeks. It has performed well. You may want to exchange the unit that you have or back up and restore the software.

Last edited:

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
I've replaced my ageing iPad 2 with a new Air and I'm surprised that - well - nothing has changed (besides the screen, which is really nice). Performance-wise it feels exactly as the iPad 2 did three years ago (I think it was iOS 5 by that time) and there's nothing that could justify to see it as a major improvement.
There are no new overwhelming features, just more of the same. If I wouldn't need a tablet for work I'd find it hard to justify the expense.

And after three months I still don't like iOS 7. But at least it's snappy again. The iPad 2 was no fun to use under iOS 7.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
My Air experience has been rather mixed. I'm not knocking Apple, after all they can't all be exceptional products. While it's a tad better than my iPad 4, I was expecting the changes to be more noticeable.

It does seem that Apples desire to flood the market with iOS devices has resulted in the usual decline in product quality all high volume manufacturers face.

I'd gladly pay a higher price for quality like Apple used to provide, but that's not likely to happen since Apple is already challenged to compete on price. Perhaps in a few years they'll get their quality back as they adjust to ultra high volume manufacturing.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I'd gladly pay a higher price for quality like Apple used to provide, but that's not likely to happen since Apple is already challenged to compete on price. Perhaps in a few years they'll get their quality back as they adjust to ultra high volume manufacturing.

I miss Steve.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Anyone else feel the same way? Safari crashes constantly. It quits on me 5+ times per day and once every couple of days it quits and crashes entire iPad with it. One second I'm browsing the web and the next I'm looking at the black screen with the white Apple logo. And Safari may as well not even have tabs, the damn things refresh constantly. You change tabs and then come to find the previous tab needs to reload. You may as well just forget tabs and use bookmarks because that is about how useful they are.

And switching apps really isn't much better. I've lost progress in several games when I switched over to check email or check something on the web only to come back and find that my game dumped and needs to reload. Multitasking is almost impossible. But, hey, at least the app switcher looks pretty now, right? :mad:

I also still wish they would put a flash on these things. Yeah, yeah, spare me any drivel about not taking pics with an iPad. If they are going to put a camera on there is it too much to ask to do it right? I often use things like the Craigslist app to put up stuff for sale, but you need near perfect lighting to gets pics that are even only slightly crappy. Last night I needed to take a pic in my garage to show my friend a bike rack I was trying mount and it just came out as a black splotchy mess.

I don't know how much of the software issues can be resolved in future iOS7 revisions, but I'm afraid they crippled this stupid thing with a pitiful amount of RAM while also switching to 64-bit architecture which requires more RAM.
it's not just the Air, the rMini does the same thing. it's a software issue

Jasonkrick

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2013
I have a 2 and two 3's.

And I would say that the Air is the best iPad so far.

Decreased wright and a squared case is so much easier to use .

nathan98

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2014
The air is the best iPad i have owned so far. Try doing a full restore on your iPad. If the issues are still occurring it may be a dodgy iPad. At worst take it to Apple and maybe they can arrange a replacement for you.

sleepydinosaur

Suspended
Oct 31, 2009
YMMV but I like mine. Kinda pissed that Apple can't manufacture screens without stuff laminated under the glass....but from a functionality standpoint it's quite a nice experience.

I've run into a few of the rough edges in ios7 for iPad but most indications are these will be worked out in 7.1

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
My Air I just got is much faster web browsing, almost instant. If Safari has problems why use it? There are many other browsers out there. I use Atomic, which allows gesture control and lots of customizing.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The more I use my Air the more I love it!!

Yeah, I guess I just got really lucky. Safari runs fine on mine and the Air is night and day better than my iPad 2. The Air is a great tablet, IMO.

I understand that these safari issues are real for some folks and that stinks. However, it IS fixable and I'm quite certain its software so that's the good news. Hang in there....

inyah

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2014
Yea, with anything with too many programs running in the background like google hangout, facebook, games even the best operating systems get bogged down. You remind me it's time to do some backing up and cleaning on my end.

MaybeJustMe

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
San Juan,PR.
iPad4/7.0.4:Starring At BLACK◼️##

I've had my iPad4 for a year now,and have spent
More time w/it , in it ,on it, than anything in my
Life...I've come to the conclusion that if it worked
Like it's supposed to,it wouldn't be nearly as
Much fun. Basically ,it's a $700 Etch-A-Sketch!!#

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel

Sound to me like you need to sell it and move on.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
It really bugs me when people can't separate the device from the OS and bitch about all these issues it has when the culprit is just that 7.0.4 needs to bump to 7.1 pronto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.