Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I find the Harman Kardon sounsticks II to be pretty good looking. Check them out here. They're a little less expensive than the ones you listed. But I would agree that good looking speakers are hard to find and expensive when you do.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
If your looking for inexpensive, stylish, and good quality speakers, have a look at JBL Creature Speakers. My sister is getting a set for christmas (shh).

They are about $190 (australian dollars, about $140 US), and have a suprisingly good sound. To complement your iMac, you would have to get them in white. The black ones make the subby look like a darth vader helmet.

I have some Altec Lansings, and im actually a bit disappointed in them. They make a good mids and highs, but the sub is unimpressive. It sounds like the air vent isnt big enough to allow enough air to go through. So to compensate for lack of bass, I plug my iPod dock into my 200 watt bass amp :p

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Scarlet Fever said:
If your looking for inexpensive, stylish, and good quality speakers, have a look at JBL Creature Speakers. My sister is getting a set for christmas (shh).

They are about $190 (australian dollars, about $140 US)

actually, they retail for $100 here in the states. and i've seen them as low as $50 before.

i wouldn't recommend altec lansig, although i've never actually heard them, i've never heard anything good about them aside from looks. i don't know anything about those Sony's. i have heard some good about the creatures, but if your looking at speakers in the $200-$250 price range, you'd probably be disappointed with the creatures.

i'd recommend checking out klipsch, they generally sound quite nice.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Scarlet Fever said:

They are about $190 (australian dollars, about $140 US)

actually, they retail for $100 here in the states. and i've seen them as low as $50 before.

i wouldn't recommend altec lansig, although i've never actually heard them, i've never heard anything good about them aside from looks. i don't know anything about those Sony's. i have heard some good about the creatures, but if your looking at speakers in the $200-$250 price range, you'd probably be disappointed with the creatures.

i'd recommend checking out klipsch, they generally sound quite nice.

shdwsclan

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2005

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
EricNau said:
Thanks everyone.

Right now I'm thinking between the JBL Creature II Self-Powered Satellite Speakers (White)
or the JBL Encounter 2.1 speakers (anybody have these?)

I see the Creature's are self-powered, so even the base doesn't have a power input? How's the loudness/range for them? (I don't know if the Encounter's are self powered or not)

Thanks

I have the white creature II speakers. They are look great...and sound awsome. I would definantly recommend them.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I have to recommend the Creature Speakers as well. They have excellent sound and take up very little space. And trust me, they can endure a lot, because I use them just about every weekend for parties at my house (I am in college) and they inevitably get turned up incredibly high, and have lasted for more than a year of this behaviour. Great speakers, and great price.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
EricNau said:
I see the Creature's are self-powered, so even the base doesn't have a power input? How's the loudness/range for them? (I don't know if the Encounter's are self powered or not)

Thanks

They aren't self-powered; they have a a power brick for the base. I have a pair in our dining room, and they sound fantastic.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Xeem said:
They aren't self-powered; they have a a power brick for the base. I have a pair in our dining room, and they sound fantastic.
Then why does Amazon say "Self Powered"? :confused: I'm not doubting what you said; it's just weird.

Could there more than one type?

Link

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
Xeem said:
I think that you may be confused about what self-powered means. Self-powered speakers can take a line-level input and amplify the signal without the use of an external amplifier. The internal amplifier in the self-powered speakers REQUIRES power. Typically the headphone jack or the speaker outputs have only enough power to drive small non-powered speakers. You will NEED a self-powered system to get much volume from a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.