Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Wanna hear about it first but really dont wanna drop $80 on a case!!! But it looks good as i only like super low profile cases. As little padding as i can cause i never drop my ipads and i put cases on to protect from scratches more than anything.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Worth is a relative concept. In my opinion, no. $80 to cover up such a beautiful tablet with so little protection. You can get cases that protect as much for much cheaper. You can also get cases that protect much more, but obviously with more bulk. $80 seems like a lot for a case, but that depends on your budget and your taste for Apple genuine accessories.

I much prefer to spend $100 on a Saddleback Leather gadget sleeve. Nothing like dead cow skin to surround your precious tablet. And when you need to use it, you pull it out and use it naked. The tablet.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
IMO, no...but I still bought it and love it. It's a really nice leather, low profile fitting case that looks great, adds some decent protection from damage and doesn't add much weight, but at $80.00, it's overpriced.
I also purchased a SmartCover and a BodyGuardz UltraTough Clear Skins Back so I can go caseless at home.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
worth it

I am a big fan of the 2014 smart case. The materials, finish and fit are excellent. The ipad is never overwhelmed by the case. It is thin but still provides excellent protection. I think its fairly priced at $80, but others may argue its $20 -30 overpriced. Not much of a premium for a great product. Imo--a way better deal than the smart cover--which is also greatly improved this year

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i bought a cheap knock-off from ebay for 12.99 shipped. it's a bit plasticy but i like it a lot. magnets work, has a soft lining inside and folds a bit better to a stand than the smart case.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Its not worth $20. It does nothing good and ages fast.

Let's see pics of an aged one.

I've owned multiple cases for every iPad model; 1,2,3,4 Mini, Air, and rMini.

No case I have ever owned or seen covers the iPad the way Apple's does, and exhibits the same quality.

All ports protected. Comers covered. Edges covered. Speakers protected, with perfectly placed holes. Non intrusive lip around the screen. No wonky clips or weird rotating discs. No Halo style stripes or sculpted ribs on the back. No corny logo cutout.

And it's genuine leather, vs pleather, or fake leather labelled as genuine leather, which the Chinese companies have no problem doing. Even the most expensive Chinese leather cases are questionable leather.

Every case comes with compromises because no one case is perfect for everyone. The Smart Case is perfect for me.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
It's so overpriced. With $20 more you could an AppleCare+ warranty. It's basically covers the same protection and more.

rojct20

macrumors member
May 15, 2013
SPI
Smart Case

I always stick to the Apple products. I think they look best, but I am not hard on my devices...just a little added protection. My guess is they probably make them for a $1.00.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Now that the iPad air is narrower, It won't stand up properly in landscape mode if you tap on it too hard. A major design oversight in my opinion.

I have a cheap folio case now. Works fine and holds a stylus.

decon1

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
I have the SmartCover for the Ipad Mini R. Glad to get it free from Apple. It is well constructed and fits like a glove. It doesn't stand up well with the cover folded over.

Like another person said, probably better value to spend another $20 to get AppleCare.

Jasonkrick

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2013
I got the Apple case because it was the smallest and lowest profile leather case I could find for the Air.

All the other cases I looked at for my 3 was too bulky which defeated the purpose of the iPad for me...which is ultra portability. If more protection means more bulk, I would rather just take my Mac 13" retina.

This is my first case for my iPad (I have 2, 3 and now Air) as I find that the Air is the best shape and weight Apple has come out so far with the iPad.

Sure the case adds a bit of weight and bulk. But it is offset by me taking it everywhere by itself without a small briefcase like I have done with the 2 and 3.

I can now toss it gently onto a coffee table or plop it down with little to no concern that I am going to scratch it or damage it with light normal everyday use.

In summary, the case allows me to live with my iPad without needing to 'think' about changing my behavior so that I do not 'damage' it.

j.benj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
No. I had one and returned it. The quality of the overall case did not warrant the price tag, IMO. The cover portion did not lay flat, the "hinge" was nothing more than creased leather, and the edges around the screen felt sharp in my hands when holding the Air.

I think you can get much better value with a Smart Cover and back plate or a 3rd party smart case.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
IMO, no...but I still bought it and love it. It's a really nice leather, low profile fitting case that looks great, adds some decent protection from damage and doesn't add much weight, but at $80.00, it's overpriced.
I also purchased a SmartCover and a BodyGuardz UltraTough Clear Skins Back so I can go caseless at home.

Does your Air Smart Cover fit over the body shield? I have a body shield and am looking for a very low profile case that I could put over the skin. I don't mind spending the $80.00 but only if it'll fit as I don't want to remove the skin I've already got a chipped up bezel. :mad:

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Let's see pics of an aged one.

I've owned multiple cases for every iPad model; 1,2,3,4 Mini, Air, and rMini.

No case I have ever owned or seen covers the iPad the way Apple's does, and exhibits the same quality.

All ports protected. Comers covered. Edges covered. Speakers protected, with perfectly placed holes. Non intrusive lip around the screen. No wonky clips or weird rotating discs. No Halo style stripes or sculpted ribs on the back. No corny logo cutout.

And it's genuine leather, vs pleather, or fake leather labelled as genuine leather, which the Chinese companies have no problem doing. Even the most expensive Chinese leather cases are questionable leather.

Every case comes with compromises because no one case is perfect for everyone. The Smart Case is perfect for me.
Google, it's your friend. It's also not secure in any stand position and the button feel sucks.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Now that the iPad air is narrower, It won't stand up properly in landscape mode if you tap on it too hard. A major design oversight in my opinion.

I have a cheap folio case now. Works fine and holds a stylus.

How's that possible? By making the iPad narrower, they've essentially lowered it's center of gravity closer to the table it would be sitting on, so it can only be more stable than something taller.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
In other words "I have no proof, I'm just assuming".

Well I did google, and I can't find anything that says it shows wear prematurely.

i think he is referring to the tendency for leather to discolour as it ages. then there is the claim that they fall over a bit easier than the last generation of smartcases which certainly seems to be the case in reviews like detroitborg's one.

now, him telling people what it's worth is definitely silly, but i think there is some merit to the complaint.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
i think he is referring to the tendency for leather to discolour as it ages. then there is the claim that they fall over a bit easier than the last generation of smartcases which certainly seems to be the case in reviews like detroitborg's one.

now, him telling people what it's worth is definitely silly, but i think there is some merit to the complaint.

There isn't another 3rd party case that mcdj is describing. All of the 3rd party cases I've come across looks like a blind man made the cutouts. Yes I did Google it.

Apple even offers case makers blue prints, but most case manufacturers choose not to follow them. Some of the 3rd party cases are cheap for a reason.
https://developer.apple.com/resources/cases/Case-Design-Guidelines.pdf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.