Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jgraeff

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Hey guys,

so i found some good deals on newegg and pulled the trigger for my macbook pro 2011. Ever since upgrading to mavericks its been very slow and laggy and now i feel an upgrade is necessary.

so i got the Samsung Evo 840 250gb SSD to replace my 500gb 7500rpm HDD.

Also i picked up some Gskill ram not sure about this i read that is good but no experience with this brand only crucial or OWC? Also my mac is rated for 1333mhz i got 16gb in 1600mhz but i read it should be find and that the mac with just down clock it to 1333 is this right?

As far as setting up my SSD this is what I'm thinking. i will clone my HDD to another external HDD that i have here, install the SSD blank and boot via usb to the other drive, then can i clone that drive to the SSD in the mac?

Or can i create a install disc with mavericks and just install fresh and copy files etc over after? How would i got about this?

And what is the latest with trim? is it needed or not?

Any other tips appreciated thanks!

Jgraeff

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
I've had the MacBook since 2011.

Upgrades were 250 for both

----------

Anyone got any tips for setting up ssd?

channelinspire

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Dallas, TX
I would just use CCC orSuperDuper to clone the 500GB to the SSD. Then just swap in the SSD and you're done. If you have too much stuff on the 500Gb, then move those large files to an external driver prior to cloning.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
Is it simple to install the ssd into the laptop? does it just replace the original laptop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.