Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Hello, all.

I recently ordered a new MacBook Pro 13" with Retina with 512gb of storage. When I upgraded the ram from 8gb to 16gb of RAM, the message "Ships in 2-4 business days" changed to "Ships in 3-4 weeks."

What is causing the delay? Is there a shortage of parts?

I also have heard that the inner design has changed, so things like the flash storage and the memory are soldered onto the logic board. Is that correct? If so, is it really going to take 3-4 weeks to just solder on more ram?

Thank you.

Patience is a virtue and I wish I had more of it. It has been two weeks and obviously it has not shipped yet =(.

sabbyp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
We're in the middle of the holiday season, you will have to be more patient.

Alternatively go down to an apple store and see if they have it in stock, its unlikely but you never know. Mine is a bto yet I bought it from a brick and mortar store.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Hello, all.

I recently ordered a new MacBook Pro 13" with Retina with 512gb of storage. When I upgraded the ram from 8gb to 16gb of RAM, the message "Ships in 2-4 business days" changed to "Ships in 3-4 weeks."

What is causing the delay? Is there a shortage of parts?

I also have heard that the inner design has changed, so things like the flash storage and the memory are soldered onto the logic board. Is that correct? If so, is it really going to take 3-4 weeks to just solder on more ram?

Thank you.

Patience is a virtue and I wish I had more of it. It has been two weeks and obviously it has not shipped yet =(.

Ram modules ale scarce these days, prices rose high, it is not just apple, but worldwide

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
You're ordering at the very busiest time of year, supplies are tighter than any other moment.

Add the recent fires at RAM factories and you've got yourself a long wait.

There isn't much you can do but wait.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
We're in the middle of the holiday season, you will have to be more patient.

Alternatively go down to an apple store and see if they have it in stock, its unlikely but you never know. Mine is a bto yet I bought it from a brick and mortar store.

My local Apple stores tend to stock BTO models too.

I think they understand that people who order custom are also impatient. :D

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Being in the middle of the holiday season has nothing to do with it. More like RAM part shortage.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I called yesterday and complained. I told them that the same spec'd model now ships in 1-2 weeks.

I was put on hold for a while after that for him to look into it.

When he returned, he told me that my package would be shipping between this Friday and next Monday at the latest and that I would get an alert about it.

I tried asking for background on what was going on and he claimed it being the Holiday season. He wouldn't tell me why or how he promised such a sooner shipping date than what is listed on there.

I suppose that Apple does just have the reputation for being very pessimistic with their estimated shipping dates.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
My local Apple stores tend to stock BTO models too.
I don't think you can "stock" a "built to order" laptop. That's like a hamburger joint claiming that my hamburger is made to order but then they just hand me one from under the heat lamp.

I'm just giving you a hard time, of course. None of Apple's configs are really "built to order". They just make fewer of them in certain configs.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
My order was placed on Nov 17th and it was shipped this morning (December 9th).

Apple's email states that it should arrive on Dec 16th while the tracking information states that it will arrive this Thursday (12th).

I would like to be optimistic and go with the fedex tracking info since Apple seems to have a history of giving very pessimistic delivery dates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.