Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Dec 1, 2013, 01:50 AM   #1
Candlelight
macrumors regular

Superdrive no longer works under Mavericks

I have an early 2011 MBP which has had the internal optical drive removed and a second HDD added. I performed the plist edit to allow an external SuperDrive to work with my machine.

I did this edit whilst my machine was running 10.7.5, but recently I upgraded to Mavericks and - it must've been a couple of weeks after the upgrade - I finally re-attached my SuperDrive but I now get the below error:

Any ideas? I've done the SMC and PRAM resets.

Is there any extra I have to do under Mavericks? I have checked the plist and it still has the "correct" entry.
Candlelight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 02:58 PM   #2
benji888
macrumors 6502a

I just did an upgrade to my MBP, added an SSD and replaced optical bay w/HDD, made a DIY fusion drive, got external USB case for optical drive. I got this same error with DVD Player but VLC works just fine. I did this with mavericks and did not know it would disable DRM playability w/DVDs. I contacted OWC support since I got their data doubler kit, and this was their only solution. I did not know you could do a work around in Lion. I'm sure apple disabled that ability.

I am subscribed to this thread now...if someone finds a way to use DVD Player with the SuperDrive being external, I would also like to know!!
benji888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:55 AM   #3
binaryspiral
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji888 View Post
I just did an upgrade to my MBP, added an SSD and replaced optical bay w/HDD, made a DIY fusion drive, got external USB case for optical drive. I got this same error with DVD Player but VLC works just fine. I did this with mavericks and did not know it would disable DRM playability w/DVDs. I contacted OWC support since I got their data doubler kit, and this was their only solution. I did not know you could do a work around in Lion. I'm sure apple disabled that ability.

I am subscribed to this thread now...if someone finds a way to use DVD Player with the SuperDrive being external, I would also like to know!!
I wish I had a fix, but I wanted to chime in and let you know that the AppleUSBODD file that would have normally needed editing to add MacBookPro to the list of supported devices already had it - I did a clean install and now I'm stuck.

Seriously Apple... this is the stuff that really grinds my gears, there is no valid reason not to support external optical media on a laptop.
binaryspiral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:56 AM   #4
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Click on the black apple while holding down the 'option' key and select "System Information'. When "System Information" opens up select 'Disk Burning' and tell us if OS X sees the drive.

Last edited by satcomer; Jan 8, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 05:20 PM   #5
crjackson2134
macrumors 6502a

Try going to the Library folder and renaming the com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist file.

I think the problem is that the DVDPlayer.app is expecting the DEV to be elsewhere. It happens to me on Linux quite often when I move things around, but it's pretty easy to point the app in the right direction. I'm not that experienced with OS X, but it seems to me that the plist file would contain the relevant information that needs changing.

Anyway, it's a shot in the dark... Maybe you'll get lucky, if it doesn't solve it, nothing lost.
Inateck KT4004 USB 3.0/ SOLO-X2 / OS X 10.9.4
crjackson2134 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 08:36 AM   #6
kristoffer4
macrumors 6502a

I also have this problem with DVD player in Mavericks. I will try this.
kristoffer4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:26 AM   #7
kristoffer4
macrumors 6502a

That seems to have fixed it!
kristoffer4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)