Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
England
It's December on the International Dateline

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from HERE when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

** To see all of our past POTD threads please see the sticky thread here **

-------------------------

I'll kick it all off with a picture of this fella who I stumbled across yesterday at the British Motorcycle Show in Birmingham. I wasn't expecting to see him there so it was a total surprise.

Not the greatest picture in the world but regardless......here is HRH Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge:

11140021525_1a5ed74d96_b.jpg

He's a big bike nut like me and rides a Ducati.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
England
A pint, yesterday, in a pub - Old Friends - in Ulverston. 'Old Friends' sounds like it ought to be a popular name for a pub... but it isn't.[/URL]

I'm not surprised it's not a popular pub what with all the ghost customers trying to pinch your pint!

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
here is HRH Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge:

At the KTM stand - was he eyeing up the new 1290 'Beast'?

My pic for the day - I should really get out with my new camera, but took advantage of the good weather yesterday and spent the day on my own 'beast' (Triumph Tiger 800).
So, back to the archives, and one more from the Shoreham Air Show. I'll have to stop posting these lest I get accused of advertising margarine.

WingWalk016 by Parkin Pig, on Flickr

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Red-tailed Hawk

PHD_8897-L.jpg

For me it's always exciting to see one of these guys come down out of the trees. I think he had his eyes on a squirrel that was eating nuts close to my feet.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
England
At the KTM stand - was he eyeing up the new 1290 'Beast'?

My pic for the day - I should really get out with my new camera, but took advantage of the good weather yesterday and spent the day on my own 'beast' (Triumph Tiger 800).

I don't think it was the KTM stand actually, I just happened to get it in the background. He had a sit on a couple of Ducati's and Triumphs apparently. He's a Ducati rider himself.

Those Tiger 800’s are great bikes! I had one as a loaner when my Street Triple was in for service once. I loved it. Tried the XC version too and liked that even more.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Red-tailed Hawk

PHD_8897-L.jpg

For me it's always exciting to see one of these guys come down out of the trees. I think he had his eyes on a squirrel that was eating nuts close to my feet.

Great shot. The big trick in wildlife photography is to break past the portrait stage and capture a higher level of intrigue in the subject. You managed to do that quite well.

Old rusted out Ford

_DSC0041.jpg by dspector32, on Flickr

I like. I know model car builders who will agonize for months trying to get a nice new kit to look like this. The grill has a nice touch of personality to it. What I said about wildlife applies to junk cars, too.

Concluding the Newport Beach thread, and going into the surreal for this last one.

IMG_0600 by Puckman2012, on Flickr

Starting tomorrow, we'll be headed in a totally different direction than sunsets.

Beautiful, serene and resting. May I use this to replace my desktop?

Dale

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA
Great shot. The big trick in wildlife photography is to break past the portrait stage and capture a higher level of intrigue in the subject. You managed to do that quite well.

I like. I know model car builders who will agonize for months trying to get a nice new kit to look like this. The grill has a nice touch of personality to it. What I said about wildlife applies to junk cars, too.

Beautiful, serene and resting. May I use this to replace my desktop?

Dale

By all means.

Although it's my least favorite of the bunch from a technical aspect. Not having an ND filter caused the sky to severely overblow. Which I compensated best I could in LR, hence the weird color tones. Which I then ended up tweaking by using a different WB.

The funny thing is that everyone perceives photos (or art in general) so differently. You see serene and resting. Whenever I look at this one, I keep thinking that weird color and the big white overblown halo in the sky look like a nuclear explosion or similar radioactive catastrophe gone off in the distance.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
By all means.

Although it's my least favorite of the bunch from a technical aspect. Not having an ND filter caused the sky to severely overblow. Which I compensated best I could in LR, hence the weird color tones. Which I then ended up tweaking by using a different WB.

The funny thing is that everyone perceives photos (or art in general) so differently. You see serene and resting. Whenever I look at this one, I keep thinking that weird color and the big white overblown halo in the sky look like a nuclear explosion or similar radioactive catastrophe gone off in the distance.

I'm currently working through a series of cataract surgeries and when I get my full vision back I hope to be equally picky...:cool:

EDIT: Didn't notice the guy on the rocks until I loaded it as my desktop. I'll keep it anyway...

Dale

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Nice capture. I hope you warned the squirrel!

Thanks AFB and no animals were harmed in the making of this shot. :)

Dale

Thanks. It is a challenge getting beyond that portrait style of wildlife images.

All the best wishes with your cataract surgeries Dale.

~ Peter

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands
I use live radio broadcasts in the local theatre as a free practising ground for "difficult" shots. It's challenging :) This is an anchorwoman in action.

3AR_9274.jpg

D800|85mm|ISO 1600|f/1.8|1/250s|

rymack

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Thunder Bay, Ontario
One of my favourite shots of Stonehenge from mine and my wife's recent honeymoon in England and Scotland this past October. It may be a little cooked, but it captures my feeling and perception of the place. C&C welcome!

castles00

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
Chicago
Thanks for the positive feedback on the last pic. I didn't want to center the subject, but I ran into some blurring issues on the left side if I cropped any further. The water was a little choppy :).

Here is one from the fall, before the cold made its way into Chicago. This is Montrose Harbor (for anyone familiar with the city).

epb87

macrumors member
May 14, 2006
Chicago
Thanks for the positive feedback on the last pic. I didn't want to center the subject, but I ran into some blurring issues on the left side if I cropped any further. The water was a little choppy :).

Here is one from the fall, before the cold made its way into Chicago. This is Montrose Harbor (for anyone familiar with the city).

Looks very familiar to me - I run the lakefront path quite frequently.

Now for my own...

Caught a nice shot of some green star polyp at SeaWorld last weekend. C&C welcome - thanks!

DSC_1180-XL.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.