Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
I'm experiencing weird trackpad issues with my wife's 2010 MacBook. That is, the cursor is totally screwed. I will be moving my finger across the trackpad normally and it won't move at all, then occasionally it quickly jump across the screen and then stop again. It's infuriating. Runs the latest updates and the trackpad doesn't have any oil or water on it. Any thoughts?

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
I'm experiencing weird trackpad issues with my wife's 2010 MacBook. That is, the cursor is totally screwed. I will be moving my finger across the trackpad normally and it won't move at all, then occasionally it quickly jump across the screen and then stop again. It's infuriating. Runs the latest updates and the trackpad doesn't have any oil or water on it. Any thoughts?

Try a Smc and Pram reset first.

To do a Smc reset. turn the mabook off. connect the charger, then hold down the left shift key, ctrl and left alt key with one hand and at the same time hold down the on off switch. Keep them held down for 15-20 seconds and let go. As you let go you should see the chargers led indicator change colour. Leave it for a few seconds and turn it back on again.

To do the Pram reset turn on the macbook and upon hearing the boot chime hold down ctrl option (left alt key), P and R keys. keep them held down until you have heard the boot chime at least 3 times. The screen will flash thats perfectly normal. Upon hearing the chime for the third time let go of the keys and allow the macbook to boot normally.

If the problem persists afterwards, then check how many cycles the battery has and what the status is. i.e normal or needs replacing. click on the battery icon in the Menubar and at the same time hold down the option key (left alt key) and see what it displays. The battery sits directly below the trackpad and the batteries have been known to swell up slightly causing intermittent trackpad problems when they're nearing the end of their operational life. Are you still able to press down on the trackpad? If not then this would point towards the battery swelling up and you may want to either source and replace the battery yourself (using a tri wing screwdriver to remove the security screw holding it in.) Or book a genius bar appointment and have them replace the battery.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Thanks for the advice mate. Both recommendations had the same outcome as installing Mavericks from scratch - the mouse works perfectly for around 5-10mins and then returns to the situation I find myself in. I have booked in to see an Apple "Genius" next week.

WildCard^

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
The battery wasn't swollen or malformed? I figured that was going to be your resolution.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Apple are replacing the trackpad, along with the casing, well over two years out of warranty for absolutely free.

That is customer service.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Interesting. What was their reasoning?

The issue could have been present during the initial warranty and has only just come to light, and her model of MacBook was recalled for "cracking" issues some time ago.

Also, there was nothing wrong with the battery and all diagnostics said that it could only be the trackpad. I wasn't at the appointment but the wife commented that there was an interesting 10 minutes where the "Genius" tried something and it was working... until ultimately failing. (She was rather nervous it would work in store and then break after normal use - relief!)

WildCard^

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
Apple does have some amazing service. It's always good service but occasionally they go so far above and beyond, I scratch my head wondering why. I've read that sometimes they do that, so they can send the broken part back to HQ for testing and analysis.

I hate the intermittent issues - the ones that work fine when they are under scrutiny by an expert. I've come to find that many of those issues are due to heat issue, and most people have their machines off and cool while they are waiting to have the expert inspect it. I used to support iTouches, and often they would work fine when I took them to the Apple store in my protective box turned off. I learned to keep them on and active, so their issues were ready and waiting to show itself to the genius.

Glad it all worked out for you and the wife.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.