Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdreed91

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Hi all,

I am looking to get a Retina Macbook Pro 13 256 SSD

I was just wondering what do any of you guys and gals use to help ease the lack of storage?

Do you leave an SD card plugged in?

Or just an external, if using the external do you just carry it around when you travel, or leave it plugged in all the time?

Or would it be better to take advantage of apps like Dropbox?

I am just trying to figure all this out before I switch and not be prepared. Most of my space is taken up with iTunes movies, which I am planning on just going to be leaving partially on my Mac (with the iCloud logo on the right hand corner of the movie) to be easily watched when I'd like to.

Thanks!!

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I keep all of my media (music, movies, photos, etc) on a NAS with 4TB of storage. When I'm at home, it acts the same as any other folder on my hard drive. When I'm away, I can access any of those files via FTP if I need something in a pinch.

If I'm going on a trip or something I'll copy over a few things to the hard drive temporarily.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do you leave an SD card plugged in?

You can, but this will prevent your Mac from entering deep sleep when on battery power. So if battery life while asleep is an issue for you, you will want to eject the SD card before sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.