Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
If you are unfamiliar with this charger then you are in for a treat. The go for between $70 and $99 normally, but Tylt is selling them at 50% off for cyber Monday. If you have been looking for a charger, this is the one.
Leo Laporte who owns the TWIT network uses these and loves them. I just bought two, even though I have several others. The Tylt Vu is the best designed and most professional looking.

Now for the info: Go to http://www.tylt.com/vu/

Enter promo code 50off_ty!t when directed

Profit. These things charge as fast as being plugged in according to those that own them.

hii-e1358734614889.jpg

Last edited:

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I backed for one of these on Kickstarter, and am still waiting for a revised version that doesn't continually Charge/Error cycle on my Nexus 7 when past 95%. I received an updated unit once which had the same issue, so they went back to the drawing board and are still in production with updated units. I've had a couple issues charging my Galaxy S4 with the Samsung Qi back as well, and although these are rarer the wireless charging tone you can't disable in Samsung's firmware makes it a lot more annoying. My Tylt Vu is sitting in a drawer somewhere waiting for a replacement, which should be available "by the end of November".

I guess it's time to remind them....

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
Site is being blown up. They're offering you the discount after cyber monday because no one can get through.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I backed for one of these on Kickstarter, and am still waiting for a revised version that doesn't continually Charge/Error cycle on my Nexus 7 when past 95%. I received an updated unit once which had the same issue, so they went back to the drawing board and are still in production with updated units. I've had a couple issues charging my Galaxy S4 with the Samsung Qi back as well, and although these are rarer the wireless charging tone you can't disable in Samsung's firmware makes it a lot more annoying. My Tylt Vu is sitting in a drawer somewhere waiting for a replacement, which should be available "by the end of November".

I guess it's time to remind them....

I was going to purchase this to compliment my Nexus 7. I guess I'll wait until they revise it. Thanks for the information!

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I was going to purchase this to compliment my Nexus 7. I guess I'll wait until they revise it. Thanks for the information!

They just posted an update yesterday to their Kickstarter page saying it would be about a month until updated units are available. Most users don't have an issue with them, but after having issue with both the Nexus 7 and the Samsung S4 back (not a knockoff or pad) I'm pretty certain there are some compatibility issues that need to be resolved. I've had no such issues with the LG WCP-300, the old Google Nexus Orb (which sucked or for reasons, but charged fine), or the new Google Nexus pad (which is my favorite one so far due to the magnets). All three of them get to the end of the charge cycle and detect as "Charged", suspending charging until the battery level drops.

There is no way to update the firmware for the charger in the field, so all the units being sold now at a discount may have a compatibility issue which can only be resolve by replacing them. It makes me wonder if their 50% off sale may be in part to get rid of old stock that they otherwise couldn't move before the fixed units come in.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
They just posted an update yesterday to their Kickstarter page saying it would be about a month until updated units are available. Most users don't have an issue with them, but after having issue with both the Nexus 7 and the Samsung S4 back (not a knockoff or pad) I'm pretty certain there are some compatibility issues that need to be resolved. I've had no such issues with the LG WCP-300, the old Google Nexus Orb (which sucked or for reasons, but charged fine), or the new Google Nexus pad (which is my favorite one so far due to the magnets). All three of them get to the end of the charge cycle and detect as "Charged", suspending charging until the battery level drops.

There is no way to update the firmware for the charger in the field, so all the units being sold now at a discount may have a compatibility issue which can only be resolve by replacing them. It makes me wonder if their 50% off sale may be in part to get rid of old stock that they otherwise couldn't move before the fixed units come in.

Thanks for the the update! I'll keep an eye on this thread and their website.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
I tried to order repeatedly on cyber Monday.
But the site would never allow me to complete the order process.
After hearing about the problems with the device on this thread I'm glad I wasn't able to order!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I tried to order repeatedly on cyber Monday.
But the site would never allow me to complete the order process.
After hearing about the problems with the device on this thread I'm glad I wasn't able to order!

Looks like I will be the guinea pig then, as I have two coming. I'll report back when I get them and test them out.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Looks like I will be the guinea pig then, as I have two coming. I'll report back when I get them and test them out.

You'll probably be fine. Like I said, I only had issues at the end of the charging cycle. In my use case (charger on the bedside table, phone/tablet charging overnight) I had enough problems I opted for another product. Plenty of people on Kickstarter have been pleased with their chargers (more than a handful had issues, though).

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
You'll probably be fine. Like I said, I only had issues at the end of the charging cycle. In my use case (charger on the bedside table, phone/tablet charging overnight) I had enough problems I opted for another product. Plenty of people on Kickstarter have been pleased with their chargers (more than a handful had issues, though).

Keeping my fingers crossed. I really want to have a simple Qicharger that is angled for my desk.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Got both my Tylt Vu Qi chargers in today and set them up. Both work perfectly.

Only thing that sucks is that the makers of this fine device went with a proprietary plug, instead of the standard micro USB port. That kind of sucks.

But so far so good. Nexus 7 can only charge in landscape position.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Well thanks for reporting back, Lloydbm41.
Now I wish I would have been able to order.
I'm using an LG Nexus 4 wireless charger for my Nexus 5, which works well, but those Tylt Vu chargers must look awfully nice on the desktop or nightstand.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Well thanks for reporting back, Lloydbm41.
Now I wish I would have been able to order.
I'm using an LG Nexus 4 wireless charger for my Nexus 5, which works well, but those Tylt Vu chargers must look awfully nice on the desktop or nightstand.

Yep, they look so much better than my flat ones. On day 2 now and working perfectly. Def well money spent IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.