Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:33 PM   #1
candyce
macrumors newbie

Powerbook AC/Battery Issues?

I am having ISSSSSUES with my Powerbook G4. I am about to throw it out of the window. ughh!!!!!

So a few months ago the power cord in my mac stopped working, and I ended up buying a new one for 55 pounds lol.

So that worked fine for a few months then THAT one just stopped working too!!!! The light just went completely off while it was charging. If I switched plugs that it was plugged into it would turn on and go to green then to amber for like a minute then turn off completely! I tried that about 203430924 times in different plugs and couldnt get it to stay on long enough to charge it so I just assumed that I broke that power cord too?

I wasnt going to get a new one because I was coming back to Cali and needed an American one. Sooooooo I get back here, change the plug to an American plug and it worked fine since ive been back for 1 week. Nowww its doing the SAME thing again!!! It wont stay lit, just goes green, amber then turns off.

After it doing that with 3 different power cords in 2 different countries Ive come to think maybe its NOT the powercords? Do I need to get a new battery or something? My friend put a new battery in it fairly recently before selling it to me, do u think that is the problem? that that one doesnt work good either?

Im so confused and dont know what to do but wanted to consult with someone before I spent a grip of money on the wrong thing or threw it out of the window completely.

I just dont know if getting another one would work or if its something more serious than that. help!
candyce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:21 PM   #2
kbonnel
macrumors 6502

hmm, that sounds weird. If you can reproduce the problem, I would go to an apple store/centre and have them take a look at it. I assume it is not in warranty? What ever the case, you need to figure out exactly what the problem is before you spend any more money.

As for the battery question, does it still do the same thing if you remove the battery? Does it do it when the system isn't running?

Kimo
kbonnel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 03:29 PM   #3
candyce
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbonnel
hmm, that sounds weird. If you can reproduce the problem, I would go to an apple store/centre and have them take a look at it. I assume it is not in warranty? What ever the case, you need to figure out exactly what the problem is before you spend any more money.

As for the battery question, does it still do the same thing if you remove the battery? Does it do it when the system isn't running?

Kimo

yes i took out the battery and plugged it in and it went green then immediately turned off. when i have the battery in it goes green, then amber, then turns off about a minute later.
candyce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 07:45 PM   #4
maverick808
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyce
yes i took out the battery and plugged it in and it went green then immediately turned off. when i have the battery in it goes green, then amber, then turns off about a minute later.
If you remove the battery completely, plug in the power from the charger and your laptop doesn't stay on then you know for sure it's not a battery problem. Your laptop should run fine with no battery as long as it's plugged into the wall.

So it sounds like the battery is completely fine and you have a faulty power unit. I mean the power unit or power transfer bit inside the actual laptop. Hope your machine is still under warranty.
maverick808 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs