Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
so this is kind of a two part question. my update for the very first time failed 3/4th through and corrupted my phone causing my 5 min. update about an hour and a half of forcing a dfu update/restore from backup (second time worked fine).

my question is, in all my years of owning an ios device this has never happend to me, what kinds of things can cause this?

I typically update through Itunes (wired) with the most updated Itunes, is just a wifi update on the phone more safer does it even matter?

rrandyy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
anyone?

or is this just to broad for someone to answer?

I think it is probably just luck that it failed. I don't think there is anything you can do to ensure that it succeeds. I imagine that a hard wired update would be safer than an over-the-air wifi update.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
If you were downloading via WiFi, sometimes the internet goes down in you area. Does not take much to cause a problem. Guess I have been lucky.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I had something similar happen right after I received my replacement 5s. It only had iOS 7.0 on it, so when I plugged it into my computer to sync my music, it prompted me to update, so I hit "OK."

I spent the next half hour trying different methods to get the update to actually work, and finally just used TinyUmbrella to kick the phone out of DFU mode. I was about to take it back and exchange it for another phone when I decided to try letting it do an OTA update, which worked just fine.

I think iOS 7 still has bugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.