Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

paperlogo.png
Paper by Fiftythree was today updated to version 1.5.0, adding support for the company's recently announced Pencil stylus. Pencil is a Bluetooth stylus that offers both palm rejection and eraser functionality, two features that are now included with the Paper app.

Along with the new features for Pencil, Paper also now includes an updated Expressive Ink Engine that is designed to feel faster across all tools.
What's new

PENCIL. THINK WITH YOUR HANDS.
Pencil is the most natural and expressive tool for getting ideas on Paper. Order your Pencil, a new hardware accessory for Paper, from our in-app store. Please update to this version to begin using your Pencil.

Palm Rejection: Pencil and Paper work together to produce the most sophisticated and effective palm rejection in any app available today. No setup, no calibration, just natural feeling writing and drawing.

Erase: Pencil's unique built-in eraser lets you get down to what's essential. ?
Blend: Pencil takes care of the lines so you can use your fingers to blend colors on the page and smooth rough edges without ever picking up a tool.

Kaizen
- Expressive Ink Engine -- Rebuilt to feel faster and more responsive across all tools.
The app update comes as the company prepares to ship out the first orders of the Pencil stylus to customers who originally pre-ordered after the stylus was initially announced. Those orders should in the next week or so, while orders placed today will ship in three to four weeks with no Christmas delivery guarantee.

FiftyThree's stylus connects to all iPads with a Retina display and the iPad mini and is not compatible with the iPad 2 or with iPhones due to the lack of an iPhone app.

The Pencil stylus can be purchased on the FiftyThree website or within the Paper app and is priced at $50 for the Graphite version or $60 for the Walnut version. Paper can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Paper' App Updated With Support for Pencil Stylus, Pre-Orders to Begin Shipping Soon

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I preordered two graphites and a walnut. One is a gift. Then I will decide if I want graphite, walnut, or both... heheh :D

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I preordered two graphites and a walnut. One is a gift. Then I will decide if I want graphite, walnut, or both... heheh :D

I put a walnut Pencil on my Christmas wishlist! Looks like they won't be delivered by Christmas though, bummer.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
I will NOT give this company any more money until they start listening to their customers.

Hundreds of people on their support forum have asked them for one simple feature since day one: image import.

I don't see one person on their support forums asking for a proprietary stylus...

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I will NOT give this company any more money until they start listening to their customers.

Hundreds of people on their support forum have asked them for one simple feature since day one: image import.

I don't see one person on their support forums asking for a proprietary stylus...

Capitalism, free market, yaaaaay.

durkkin

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013

Maybe that's not the direction they want Paper to go. They reserve the right to the creative direction of their product and to ignore "feature requests." There are plenty of other apps that take advantage of image import, they want Paper to be a pure creative expression and creation tool, not a photo manipulation app. They make a gorgeous product and have millions of customers that buy it for what it already is, you have no reason to get mad just because they don't change their product to meet your wishes.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Maybe that's not the direction they want Paper to go. They reserve the right to the creative direction of their product and to ignore "feature requests." There are plenty of other apps that take advantage of image import, they want Paper to be a pure creative expression and creation tool, not a photo manipulation app. They make a gorgeous product and have millions of customers that buy it for what it already is, you have no reason to get mad just because they don't change their product to meet your wishes.

Totally agree!

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
That pencil stylus doesn't look like it will be terribly comfortable to hold for an extended period. Seems like they should have named it 'charcoal'.

Edit: Looking at their website, a couple of other things concern me:
1) It doesn't sound like it's pressure sensitive. That's a bummer. So the Bluetooth aspect seems to really just be there for the palm rejection and eraser feature?
2) They state: "Palm Rejection, Erase, and Blend work only with Paper, but Pencil also works well as a non-connected stylus in any other app and on any touchscreen device." I interpret this to mean that they don't plan on opening up the API for other app developers to add support in their apps. If true, that's especially lame.
3) It's also a little odd that they state that the "Blend" feature is a feature of Pencil. Blend seems to be when you use your finger to smudge what you've just written with your Pencil. So how is that a feature of Pencil?

Overall I'm disappointed. The $50 price tag is nice, and it looks like a high-quality product. I'd really like a high quality pressure sensitive stylus and haven't been impressed with what's come out so far. We'll probably have to wait for official support by Apple.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.