Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffisme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
there might be a problem.

I ordered the OWC data doubler along with a hard drive so I could have two drives in my 2012 mini. the install went fine (but very slow) until I unwrapped the new hard drive and saw that the only way it would fit with cable facing the correct way was if the exposed bottom of the drive faced upward. It didn't come with the black plastic cover. That presented a problem because the curved flat cable would be pushed against it by the old drive when I installed that on top of it.

I didn't think that would be a good idea, so I took the cover off the old drive and placed it on the new one and then seated the new drive. Now, it came time to seat the old drive on top of it. The drive went in ok, but now its board is exposed (see photo). That doesn't seem like a good idea, so before I close it up, I figured I would ask whether they are left this way or whether I need to find a cover before closing up the Mini. If I do need one, where would I find it? I've googled around but so far with no luck.

thanks for any help,

jeff

jeffisme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
they do provide video guides but no support. I called them about another question, and the tech refused to answer it and said I would have to send it the Mini to them for them to install for $80. After I complained, the salesperson said he would try to help, but I have yet to hear back from him, so I thought I would post my question here.

the video is pretty good, but it shows the lower drive being installed with the label up. it's an enclosed SSDdrive. but if I were to put my drive in with the label up, the flat copper cable would be on the wrong side. the only way to do it with the cabling looking the way it does in the video and to be able to seat it in the board, is with the label down. That's why i grabbed the cover from the other drive, but, of course, that only exposes the top drive now.

Could I have been wrong and there is no problem with the flat cable touching the exposed bottom of the drive or did the manufacturer simply forget to encase it in the black paper/plastic bottom cover?

I also realized after trying to see how the airport cover grate fit back in that when I do replace it, it sits pretty hard against that top drive, so it does need some kind of protection, so maybe there isn't an issue with the drive cable on the bottom drive sandwiched between the exposed side and the bottom of the top drive.

Last edited:

strat58

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
I don't think this is a problem, if you are concerned swap the drives around.
You will have to pull the cables and swap them with the drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.