Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 19, 2005, 04:25 PM   #1
mopppish
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
offer me your sympathy (or judgement...) (iBook purchase)

Well, I just tracked the shipment of my new $800 ibook from Amazon, and it's currently out for delivery.
However...
I may be crazy, but as of now I'm looking to wait until MWSF to open it. You see, I was origininally going to wait until then anyways to order a recently outdated ibook G4 at an discount price, but the Amazon deal looked too good to pass up. I don't plan to move to intel (no prejudices, just practical reasons) and I save money.
If Steve announced new intel ibooks in January, I'd be happy as a clam with my "obsolete" PPC model. Now though, I'm staring to doubt the inclusion of intel chips this early and am worried that I'll open this puppy up only to find out in a few weeks that Apple's put out another G4 update to the ibook. If it was just a small processor bump, I wouldn't care, but what if they do the dual-core G4's? What if they update the video card? What if, what if, what if?
AAAAHHHH!!!
My logic is that by not opening it, I can return it to Amazon and spring for the new model (if it's still PPC).
I'm not trying to be batty. Just trying to get the most out of my money (I'm a college student).
Well, back to waiting for the brown truck to pull up...
mopppish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 04:58 PM   #2
kanpachi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Hey Mopppish,
Is there any reason for the iBook discount on Amazon? It is possible that they are anticipating an Intel iBook release in January so they are trying to clear their inventory beforehand. This is purely speculation, of course.

If you are worried and believe that the Intel iBook will be released next month, I would recommend that you sell the iBook ASAP on eBay or Craigslist. That way, you can at least pocket the difference and make a nice little profit, while curbing any regret you may have if the Intel iBooks do come out. However, you also need to take into consideration the ramifications of getting a Revision A Apple notebook. Historically, they have been known to be buggy, so in this case you may want to keep the iBook (if you really need it) and wait for a couple of revisions to go through before you buy. In my opinion, though, if you can make a 10% return on your purchase, I would sell it if you bought the iBook purely for its discount rather than for your use. Good luck.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mopppish
Well, I just tracked the shipment of my new $800 ibook from Amazon, and it's currently out for delivery.
However...
I may be crazy, but as of now I'm looking to wait until MWSF to open it. You see, I was origininally going to wait until then anyways to order a recently outdated ibook G4 at an discount price, but the Amazon deal looked too good to pass up. I don't plan to move to intel (no prejudices, just practical reasons) and I save money.
If Steve announced new intel ibooks in January, I'd be happy as a clam with my "obsolete" PPC model. Now though, I'm staring to doubt the inclusion of intel chips this early and am worried that I'll open this puppy up only to find out in a few weeks that Apple's put out another G4 update to the ibook. If it was just a small processor bump, I wouldn't care, but what if they do the dual-core G4's? What if they update the video card? What if, what if, what if?
AAAAHHHH!!!
My logic is that by not opening it, I can return it to Amazon and spring for the new model (if it's still PPC).
I'm not trying to be batty. Just trying to get the most out of my money (I'm a college student).
Well, back to waiting for the brown truck to pull up...
kanpachi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 05:14 PM   #3
mopppish
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
I should clarify- I'm not worried about Apple releasing intel ibooks, I'm worried about them NOT realeasing intel ibooks. I WANT to stick with the G4 because I have some heavy software (Logic Pro, Office) that would be native to it. If Apple releases intel stuff, then I'm happy with my purchase, but if they instead release a PPC ibook update that's more significant than a .1 ghz processor boost...
I've just been reading some convincing things lately about them sticking with a significantly upgraded PPC model for one more cycle.
mopppish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 05:33 PM   #4
jeremy.king
macrumors 603
 
jeremy.king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fox Lake, IL
I offer no sympathy. Decline the delivery if you want to wait, otherwise enjoy what you have and stop sweating it. No need to get your panties in a bundle over a small speed bump. If you need more speed, you should have got a Powerbook.
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 05:45 PM   #5
generik
Banned
 
generik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minitrue
Don't open the box and return it asap.
generik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:12 PM   #6
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816
 
OldCorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: compost heap
Returning it unopened ASAP, seems to defeat the purpose. In that case you may as well have never ordered it in the first place.

If you have the superhuman strength not to open it, OK, don't. Wait to hear what Steve has to say, and then either return it, or finally open it.

Personally, I doubt you'll see another PPC update to the iBook. In fact I think the chances approach 0. Why would Apple deal with a huge change like dual chips for a production run that'll at most last for a few months? The economics say it doesn't make sense - you need R&D and support for years afterwards, and there's just not enough $ in a few months run worth to bother. Note, that all the other refreshes involved small speedbumps and inclusion of formerly optional items that are now standard (airport, bluetooth etc.) - that makes for essentially very little R&D over that time, allowing for years of returns on their investment. Asking to go dual means you have to re-engineer the motherboard, and generally go through a period of testing - and all for a run that'll last at most a few months before it's obsolete (because of mactels). NO ECONOMIC SENSE.

Incidentally, I also ordered the $800 iBook from Amazon Friday (actually $785), and I totally agree with your reasoning re: new mactels. Why suffer the inevitable depradations of a rev A., which Apple has never been especially good at, and which are sure to be pretty bad given the size of the transition. I'd much rather enjoy the true and tried iBook (if it was a powerbook, things become much more complicated, and I'd wait, cause the 15" PB is a dog). Plus, yes, exactly: software will actually run WORSE on the mactels if under rosetta... I'd rather run PPC software natively, particularly for speed sensitive stuff like editing. All IMHO, of course.

I plan on enjoying my iBook, and I'm curious but not envious about the new intel Macs to come out January. Only sad thing, I ordered my iBook Friday early morning (1:20 AM) and it still is showing "getting ready to ship" instead of "shipped" as of now...

OldCorpse
quietly rotting
OldCorpse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:24 PM   #7
looklost
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago Suburbs
I think some people missed the point of your post. They ARE NOT going to release updated ibooks with dual core g4's so don't sweat it.
looklost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 08:41 PM   #8
mopppish
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Alright, sorry everyone. I was being a bit paranoid (I do have mild OCD...).
Anyway, I went ahead and opened it when it got here (who could resist?).
I got a good deal on a sweet laptop, and that's all there is to it. I can't wait to get home tonight and boot it up for the first time!
mopppish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 09:43 PM   #9
Tigger7
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Old Corpse,

Your still showing "Getting ready to ship?" My ibook was ordered Friday morning also and should be here tomorrow. It was in ready to ship status until Sat evening and then it was shipped. I did pay for Standard shipping if that makes a difference?
Tigger7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 09:51 PM   #10
California
macrumors 68040
 
California's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopppish
Alright, sorry everyone. I was being a bit paranoid (I do have mild OCD...).
Anyway, I went ahead and opened it when it got here (who could resist?).
I got a good deal on a sweet laptop, and that's all there is to it. I can't wait to get home tonight and boot it up for the first time!
Yeah, we all get the mac ocd's once in a while.

You got a great deal on the last best iBook before being mactelled, so take care of it and be happy.
__________________
2.66ghz 13" MBP/1.67ghz Powerbook G5 15" DLHR/iPhone 16gb/30" ACD
California is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 09:52 PM   #11
dmw007
macrumors 603
 
dmw007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Working for MI-6
I think that you should keep it, use it, and enjoy such a fine portable computer. I love my 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4- and if new ones came out tomorrow, I would not love it any less!
__________________
3.2 GHz Mac Pro Nehalem
PowerBook 1400cs/133, 450MHz G4 Cube, 500MHz Pismo
iPhone 3GS, 60GB iPod
dmw007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:12 PM   #12
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816
 
OldCorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: compost heap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger7
Old Corpse,

Your still showing "Getting ready to ship?" My ibook was ordered Friday morning also and should be here tomorrow. It was in ready to ship status until Sat evening and then it was shipped. I did pay for Standard shipping if that makes a difference?
Aaah, yes, I think it makes a difference. I chose free shipping because they indicated that I should still receive it dec. 22 or 23. Now, I regret it. I wish I had it here earlier, and I'd be willing to pay the $10-$15, but hey... I wanted to be able to tell my buddies (who also have the 12" iBook) "lookie here, I only paid $785, blah, blah, blah, ain't I smart"... shows you what a dumaxx I am for trying to save a couple of bucks

OldCorpse
quietly rotting, the brain goes first
OldCorpse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 07:09 AM   #13
Tigger7
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
LOL, now thats funny. My husband only ordered it by Standard shipping which was 15.00 more or so because he was afraid of the "free shipping" so close to Christmas. Here's hoping you get yours very soon! UPS says "out for delivery" on mine right now....thats not really true because the UPS trucks don't leave for delivery until around 9am but its still got me really excited.

Merry Christmas
Tigger7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:09 PM   #14
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816
 
OldCorpse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: compost heap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger7
LOL, now thats funny. My husband only ordered it by Standard shipping which was 15.00 more or so because he was afraid of the "free shipping" so close to Christmas. Here's hoping you get yours very soon! UPS says "out for delivery" on mine right now....thats not really true because the UPS trucks don't leave for delivery until around 9am but its still got me really excited.

Merry Christmas
Well, Amazon finally sent me an email that the iBook has shipped. UPS only shows notification, but I'm optimistic that it'll arrive dec. 23 as Amazon promised. Meanwhile I already ordered extra memory from:

http://www.datamem.com/

1GB stick for $125 (+$7.0 for shipping = $132 total), not the very cheapest, but many on this board recommend datamem (mac compatible + warranty)... only bummer, I ordered it yesterday, and it won't arrive (by UPS) until 12/27

And I also ordered a bag, a slingpack style Buzz from Tom Bihn:

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0151

black/steel/crimson which will arrive 12/22 woo hoo !

So yes, I'm accessorizing like crazy !

In time, I'll get an external HDD for backups (plus the 40GB internal is rather small), prolly a nice external 20" monitor, and maybe an external DVD burner, and a lapstand, and and and...

Merry Christmas to you too, and a Happy New Year!

OldCorpse
quietly rotting
OldCorpse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:42 PM   #15
NYmacAttack
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopppish
Alright, sorry everyone. I was being a bit paranoid (I do have mild OCD...).
Anyway, I went ahead and opened it when it got here (who could resist?).
I got a good deal on a sweet laptop, and that's all there is to it. I can't wait to get home tonight and boot it up for the first time!
If you bought it already it sure is hard to resist using it. After all there is no definite date when the ibooks will be switched over, it could be three weeks or three months.
__________________
Black MB C2D 2.16
NYmacAttack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 07:13 PM   #16
BrewCityGirl
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmacAttack
If you bought it already it sure is hard to resist using it. After all there is no definite date when the ibooks will be switched over, it could be three weeks or three months.
So I have a question, if they are announced in 3 weeks - that means they will be in retail stores right away and start shipping immediately??? I'm confused.
BrewCityGirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:12 PM   #17
generik
Banned
 
generik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minitrue
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityGirl
So I have a question, if they are announced in 3 weeks - that means they will be in retail stores right away and start shipping immediately??? I'm confused.
The osbourne effect will hurt sales in the interim, it is dumb to announce something better that you don't have on hand.
generik is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sprint and Best Buy Team Up to Offer Students One Year of Free Talk, Text, and Data With Phone Purchase MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 27 Nov 21, 2013 06:16 PM
Best Buy to Offer $100 Gift Card for Purchase of iPhone 5s or 5c with Trade-In of Any Working Smartphone MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 57 Oct 20, 2013 01:54 AM
OMG. Please reserve all judgement on rMBP until you see it in person. Kendo MacBook Pro 247 Aug 7, 2012 03:19 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC