Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LowBattery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
I was just going about my normal business (Facebook, e-mail, etc.) this morning when suddenly this appeared:

643cc663-db91-4139-9cc0-090c3e138b78_zpsd42fe569.jpg

I am unable to use my mouse or keyboard. The fan turned on shortly after this message appeared (unusual), so I closed the Macbook, but so far the fan remains on (20 minutes or so later).

I am worried because this message doesn't designate an origination. I'm worried that powering down and then back up again will install malware or something.

Any advice? Have you seen this screen before?

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
I was just going about my normal business (Facebook, e-mail, etc.) this morning when suddenly this appeared:

I am unable to use my mouse or keyboard. The fan turned on shortly after this message appeared (unusual), so I closed the Macbook, but so far the fan remains on (20 minutes or so later).

I am worried because this message doesn't designate an origination. I'm worried that powering down and then back up again will install malware or something.

Hi,
If you come across that screen and are unable to use either the keyboard or trackpad/ mouse. Hold down the on off switch until the mac turns off. Release your finger and press the on off switch again and your mac will boot normally. It's seriously unlikely to install malware on your mac. I've had that message come up a few times in the past, and after a reboot all is well again.

LowBattery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
It's the mac equivalent of the windows BSOD.

The system log will show a crash report.

Have you changed any hardware or software recently?

I have. I downloaded an interactive advent calendar for the kids, and it required that I update my Adobe AIR. Do you think I've messed up my computer?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you get a screen that looks like this:
TS3742_01_KP-001-en.jpg
It's called a kernel panic. If it doesn't happen again, or very infrequently, you don't need to worry about it.
In most cases, kernel panics are not caused by an issue with your Mac. They are most likely caused by an issue external to your Mac. If the kernel panic doesn't happen again within a few weeks, you don't need to troubleshoot further.
If it does happen again, this may help:

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Message of doom on my screen!

Wow. I can't remember the last time I got a kernel panic... Anyway, just restart the computer, if it never comes up again then you're fine. If it comes up frequently them you have a problem and should probably have Apple look at it, or someone else.

LowBattery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.