Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

amazon_cloud_player_ios_icon.jpg
Amazon today announced an update to its Cloud Player app for iOS, bringing integration with connected BMW and MINI Cooper vehicles beginning with the 2011 model year. The update allows users to access their cloud-hosted music libraries directly from their vehicles' dashboard control screens.
Customers will love the integration of Amazon Cloud Player for BMW Apps and MINI Connected vehicles because they will be able to:

- Easily access their music playlists stored in Amazon Cloud Player with the convenience of using dashboard controls
- Enjoy music in high-quality up to 256kbps audio
- Free up local storage space on their phones by storing and accessing music in the cloud
- Get rid of bulky CDs for easier music listening in the car
Amazon launched its Cloud Player service back in 2011 and has upgraded it several times over the past several years, including moving to unlimited music storage with any paid plan, adding free storage of Amazon MP3 Store purchases, and launching iTunes Match-like Scan and Match functionality. Amazon launched an iPhone app for the service in 2012, adding iPad compatibility in early 2013 and launching a Mac app in October.

Amazon Cloud Player is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Amazon Adds Cloud Player for iOS Integration with BMW and MINI Vehicles

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008

Sad how the latter generations just settle. 256kbps is good quality. But high quality? I guess if you are listening to tinny laptop speakers. But not nearly enough quality for those of us who have decent sound systems. I'd like to see Apple actually start offering their lossless format for download. That would be sweet.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
BMW needs to bring us Spotify, not Amazon cloud player. I'm sick of the half-assed integration for Android phones also.

ACKRITE

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
West Hartford, CT
This new update works great in my 2011 335i with the BMW Apps option.

Quite a bit of iDrive-based options once you plug your iPhone into the USB. You can choose between your "Cloud-based" music or access your "My Device" music as well. Full cover art support too.

Make sure once you're connected you don't lock your iPhone or the functionality will cease.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008

Sad how the latter generations just settle. 256kbps is good quality. But high quality? I guess if you are listening to tinny laptop speakers. But not nearly enough quality for those of us who have decent sound systems. I'd like to see Apple actually start offering their lossless format for download. That would be sweet.

I agree with your sentiment - but no car is a place to appreciate high quality music, even a BMW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.