Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone here has had the back glass pieces on their iPhone replaced at an Apple store? If so, how much did it cost (without Apple Care)?

I know it's possible to replace the pieces myself, but after having issues with replacing the back glass on my IP4, I would rather just pay a little more and let the professionals take care of it.

Thanks!

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
I always thought that the back plate it one piece.. I'm pretty sure it is. Just go online and buy a backplate and replace it yourself. All you need to do is unscrew the two screws on the bottom and it slides off. It's super easy and just like the iPhone 4.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I always thought that the back plate it one piece.. I'm pretty sure it is. Just go online and buy a backplate and replace it yourself. All you need to do is unscrew the two screws on the bottom and it slides off. It's super easy and just like the iPhone 4.

Not easy at all if you've never done it.

You would have to remove all the innards of the phone and put them in the new backplate.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

except it's not like the iPhone 4 at all :rolleyes:

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
California
Has anyone had experience getting these pieces replaced?

Yes, They suck to replace although if you take your time its worth doing, you need a heat gun and need to take most the parts out of the bottom and top of your iPhone. Then heat the glass and push from the inside out. Is the glass cracked? & you shouldn't pay more than $6 for the back glass of the 5

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Not easy at all if you've never done it.

You would have to remove all the innards of the phone and put them in the new backplate.

He's right. I watched a YouTube video about replacing the backplate for the iPhone 5... It looked so difficult. It's NOTHING like the iPhone 4's backplate. For the 5, you'd have to replace everything inside the iPhone just to replace the back. Look on ifixit and see for yourself.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Yup. I replaced the screen for my 4S before. All of the components are attached to the screen, so the back just slides off after the pentalobe screws are removed.

On the 5 and 5S the components are attached to the back plate, which makes sense because you are more likely to have to replace the screen since it is all glass.

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
no problem, just go online, buy a 3gs housing and install it. its super easy! just like the iphone 4 but for your iphone 5!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.