Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fifthmanstandin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Ok guys. so there's a new installment to the ongoing saga that is this graphics card installation.

My previous post is here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1677762/

I went ahead and got this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932

Installation was a p.i.t.a and I have a couple of questions about it:

1) it has a six pin and 8 pin input for power. Obviously the mac pro power supply was problematic in this. I have two six pin pcie cables plugged directly to the motherboard. The card came with a 2 six pin to 8 pin adaptor, which meant I had to take the two molex plugs from the power supply and disconnect the dvd drive. I adapted the two molex plugs to a six pin with the provided adaptor and now have the card powered. Problem is...I like have a dvd drive. Is there something like a six pin to 8 pin adaptor that will work for this mac pro and free up those two molex plugs again?

2) It's working fine on the mac side so far as I can tell. Booting over into windows using Bootchamp (Thanks for that suggestion in the previous post guys) boots over to windows seemingly ok. I'm noticing some lag on things like resizing windows of browsers. Are there any tests I need to run or things I need to do to increase performance?

thanks for all of your help so far, you guys have been wonderful!

fifthmanstandin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
anyone? Because a guy on amazon is saying that it is ill advised to plug an 8 pin and a 6 pin to the mobo for the graph card. Can anyone verify this? I don't want to burn my comp.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
1) it has a six pin and 8 pin input for power. Obviously the mac pro power supply was problematic in this. I have two six pin pcie cables plugged directly to the motherboard. The card came with a 2 six pin to 8 pin adaptor, which meant I had to take the two molex plugs from the power supply and disconnect the dvd drive. I adapted the two molex plugs to a six pin with the provided adaptor and now have the card powered. Problem is...I like have a dvd drive. Is there something like a six pin to 8 pin adaptor that will work for this mac pro and free up those two molex plugs again?

2) It's working fine on the mac side so far as I can tell. Booting over into windows using Bootchamp (Thanks for that suggestion in the previous post guys) boots over to windows seemingly ok. I'm noticing some lag on things like resizing windows of browsers. Are there any tests I need to run or things I need to do to increase performance?

1) There is an adapter, but the two six-pin cables didn't work by themselves?
2) Did you install Nvidia GTX drivers from Nvidia website?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.