Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
How can you possibly think a real person owned this iPad after seeing all the professional pictures, contacts with all info filled in, and the label on the box :rolleyes::confused:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...st-user’s-personal-information-212926070.html

With further investigation Robin deduced that the device was used by a California woman and she noticed that there was a demonstration label on the box.

47b66d90-80a7-43b7-9350-3a669bb89db9_Demo-sticker.png

TmanATL

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2013
looks like a demonstration unit to me - like one you might find in an apple store.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Heck, I love all the photos in Photos that are on those demo units! I'd be a happy camper if I was able to get some of those for backgrounds.

----------

On a separate note, I would have died if that had read "woman determined owner to be a man by the name of John Appleseed."

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
I would have put it up for sale on EBay for $1K. Being that it is so rare, some nut would be willing to pay big for it.

Tork

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
How do you "accidentally" sell the demo ipad unit? Sounds like target simply tried to dump the display unit on the customer and didn't think of resetting it prior.

It's almost certainly a brand new ("sealed," as the story points out) iPad that they were supposed to keep themselves to put on display, but they sold it by mistake. Many Targets are still displaying the iPad 4, and this one was supposed to replace it.

Pretty funny the customer thinks this is an actual used iPad with real personal info on it... Even if you've never seen an iPad demo unit in a store, you'd think with the "demo" sticker...well, 2+2 and all.

I would have put it up for sale on EBay for $1K. Being that it is so rare, some nut would be willing to pay big for it.

Absolutely. A brand new demo unit definitely would've gone for well over its sticker price.

Summed up nicely:
http://www.tuaw.com/2013/12/03/target-accidentally-sells-demo-ipad-unit-new-owner-freaks-out/

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Bestbuy, B and H and even Amazon sell stuff, as new, if they determine a returned item to be is working order. But what a demo unit is doing in the inventory is interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.