Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 4, 2013, 06:20 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Olloclip Releases New 3-in-1 Macro Photo Lens for iPhone 5s and iPhone 5

Olloclip has released a new 3-in-1 quick-connect macro photo lens for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5, giving users the ability to shoot subjects up close with 7x, 14x, and 21x macro modes. The lens itself is designed from an anodized aluminum material that houses the coated, multi-element optics, and attaches to a device through a soft plastic material.
Quote:
Here are 3 quick-change lenses of superior quality, designed for taking sharper close-up shots with the iPhone. The Macro 3-IN-1 is engineered to deliver more edge-to-edge clarity, greater depth of field, nicely diffused light on the image, and less pincushion distortion.
The lens also works with all photography apps, including the official Olloclip app [Direct Link] in both photo and video mode, and follows the release of a new Olloclip 4-in-1 quick connect photo lens this past October. The Olloclip 3-in-1 macro lens is compatible with the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s and is now on sale for $69.99 through Olloclip's official website.

Article Link: Olloclip Releases New 3-in-1 Macro Photo Lens for iPhone 5s and iPhone 5
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 06:53 AM   #2
darkfiber
macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I wasn't expecting this. Olloclip just released a new 4 in 1 lens kit and I assumed this article was referring to it and made the mistake of saying 3 in 1 instead of 4 in 1. When I had the 3 in 1 lens kit for my iPhone 4/4S, the Macro was the most used lens. These lenses are fun to use, unfortunately they only work on a bare iPhone (unless you use their expensive case). Thankfully that isn't an issue with my SPIGEN case which is easy to remove. With iPhone model designs historically changing every 2 years you have to consider the fact that this will probably not work on the next iPhone. I ended up selling my 4/4S Olloclip on eBay after I upgraded to an iPhone 5s.

Last edited by darkfiber; Dec 4, 2013 at 07:02 AM.
darkfiber is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 08:00 AM   #3
perealb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfiber View Post
These lenses are fun to use, unfortunately they only work on a bare iPhone
I used to have them for the 4S also. I agree, they are cool but the fact that they get obsolete on every iPhone form factor change, makes me give up on it. Someone needs to create an universal version of it...
perealb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 08:40 AM   #4
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

I had the original Olloclip and it was great. I've attached macro images from the new 4in1 Olloclip and the 5s which I'm very happy with.

This specialized macro clip may be good for my stocking!

Good product IMO.
obeygiant is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 08:53 AM   #5
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

These should be designed to work on a bare phone and with an Apple iPhone case at minimum. I understand it can't work with just any case, but at least the one Apple provides would meet the needs of many people right there. I didn't like using this on my 4S with a naked phone so I quickly returned it.

The other downside is this becomes obsolete quickly. The lens should be universal. Just buy an adapter that fits with your current model phone. I wouldn't mind paying $10 for each new hardware change. But to spend 70 bucks every 2 years is a lot.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:28 AM   #6
iAshley
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
These should be designed to work on a bare phone and with an Apple iPhone case at minimum. I understand it can't work with just any case, but at least the one Apple provides would meet the needs of many people right there. I didn't like using this on my 4S with a naked phone so I quickly returned it.

The other downside is this becomes obsolete quickly. The lens should be universal. Just buy an adapter that fits with your current model phone. I wouldn't mind paying $10 for each new hardware change. But to spend 70 bucks every 2 years is a lot.
Why buy a new adapter each year... All apple has to do is make a magnetic ring around the lens and allow attachments to magnetically stick to them, wouldn't matter which model iphone you had then.
iAshley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:31 AM   #7
UnionVGF
macrumors member

I'm going to assume that this blocks the flash? If so, it's going to prove difficult to get close macro shots with normal indoor light.
UnionVGF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:37 AM   #8
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionVGF View Post
I'm going to assume that this blocks the flash? If so, it's going to prove difficult to get close macro shots with normal indoor light.
You assume correctly:

http://www.olloclip.com/about-us/tips-and-tricks/
The olloclip lens covers the flash and if you have the flash on you will see bright spots in your picture. The iPhone flash is not powerful enough to cover the wider angles that the olloclip provides.

Makes sense to me. Besides, I'd rather use other lighting to achieve the best possible macro shots anyway.
mrgraff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:04 AM   #9
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Will this be able to replace my point and shoot?
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:17 AM   #10
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

$70 is ridiculous. There are knock-offs and alternatives (some with even better designs in my opinion) that cost $10-$20 per kit on ebay.

Yes I know it's from China, and quality-control will be slightly inferior, but QC doesn't legitimize such a huge markup when there are such alternatives readily available.

I'd buy from Olloclip rather than a random grey-market seller if it was $30, but $70 is simply too much.

In fact, this kit looks really nice and I like the magnetic attachment design much better. Look at everything it comes with! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Det...item3a88430386
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:28 AM   #11
UnionVGF
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgraff View Post
You assume correctly:

http://www.olloclip.com/about-us/tips-and-tricks/
The olloclip lens covers the flash and if you have the flash on you will see bright spots in your picture. The iPhone flash is not powerful enough to cover the wider angles that the olloclip provides.

Makes sense to me. Besides, I'd rather use other lighting to achieve the best possible macro shots anyway.
The past thing I'm thinking about when taking any photo with my phone is lugging around strobes or other lighting.
UnionVGF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:25 PM   #12
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionVGF View Post
The past thing I'm thinking about when taking any photo with my phone is lugging around strobes or other lighting.
Fair point. I've managed to take some pretty decent macro shots with my 4S without any extra equipment or apps:
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/mrgraff/misc/fly.jpg

I probably won't buy the Olloclip or even use my phone for macros anyway. I think that blocking the flash makes this particular accessory a bad idea.
mrgraff is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:57 PM   #13
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
These should be designed to work on a bare phone and with an Apple iPhone case at minimum. I understand it can't work with just any case, but at least the one Apple provides would meet the needs of many people right there.
Which provided Apple case?

Gary
Old Dec 4, 2013, 03:33 PM   #14
SimonTheSoundMa
macrumors 6502a

Here is a DIY solution http://simonhowes.wordpress.com/2012...laser-pointer/

Examples:

Last edited by SimonTheSoundMa; Dec 5, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
SimonTheSoundMa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2013, 04:35 PM   #15
EvilQueen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAshley View Post
Why buy a new adapter each year... All apple has to do is make a magnetic ring around the lens and allow attachments to magnetically stick to them, wouldn't matter which model iphone you had then.
Because the mag ring would attract metal particles.
EvilQueen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 08:37 AM   #16
johnnyturbouk
macrumors 65816

This is a very interesting proposal by olloclip.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind paying $10 for each new hardware change. But to spend 70 bucks every 2 years is a lot.
Quote:
Agree with you both, a universal adapter would make much more sense and justify the cost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post

In fact, this kit looks really nice and I like the magnetic attachment design much better. Look at everything it comes with! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Det...item3a88430386
But for 299 ($475) you could get this beauty:

Lol- poor will-iam-not creative, innovative or realistic!
Old Dec 5, 2013, 02:19 PM   #17
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
Which provided Apple case?

Gary
I meant the one that Apple makes or labels as 'theirs'

----------

Quote:
because I don't want my phone sticking to certain things
Old Dec 8, 2013, 02:21 PM   #18
oplix
macrumors 6502a

close up shots of eyes creep me out lol. I start flinching. Quality looks amazing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyturbouk View Post
This is a very interesting proposal by olloclip.

Agree with you both, a universal adapter would make much more sense and justify the cost!

But for 299 ($475) you could get this beauty:

Lol- poor will-iam-not creative, innovative or realistic!
No doubt will be a major hit with African warlords.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:45 AM   #19
lens42
macrumors newbie

Better Macro for $10

The Olloclip price was way too high for me, and their macro is a bit overdone, so I designed one myself that can be printed on Shapeways. The whole thing is about $10, has a glass lens, and looks pretty slick if I do say so myself. Help yourself: http://shpws.me/q26I
lens42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 05:55 AM   #20
iAshley
macrumors member

[/COLOR]

because I don't want my phone sticking to certain things[/QUOTE]

Ok so make the Macro lens with the magnet and apple just has to make the metal ring around the lens bigger or include a hidden one inside the case.
iAshley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 08:27 AM   #21
AgnesL
macrumors newbie

Ollo - Schneider - ALPA

Hi,

You may find it interesting: http://www.laszlopusztai.net/2014/01...de-converters/

It's a comparison of the Ollo, Schneider and ALPA wide converters.

Cheers,
Agnes
AgnesL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion