Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Got a new Netgear router yesterday, the R6300v2 with 1750 ac Dual Band, and realized a significant gain in internet download and upload speeds on my iPhone 5S over WiFi.

With my previous "g" and "n" wireless router, the best download speed I ever attained was about 20 Mbps. The new router almost tripled that, and I was two floors away from the device in a three story frame house.

I didn't change any settings and I have duplicated the test a couple of times. I don't know whether this is a big deal, but it seemed so to me. :D

Attachments

• amazing.PNG
    amazing.PNG
    832 KB · Views: 297

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Got a new Netgear router yesterday, the R6300v2 with 1750 ac Dual Band, and realized a significant gain in internet download and upload speeds on my iPhone 5S over WiFi.

With my previous "g" and "n" wireless router, the best download speed I ever attained was about 20 Mbps. The new router almost tripled that, and I was two floors away from the device in a three story frame house.

I didn't change any settings and I have duplicated the test a couple of times. I don't know whether this is a big deal, but it seemed so to me. :D

20 is more than enough for mobile device functions, and even HD video.

That's not surprising, a G router will max around 20-22mbps at the application layer.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
It's Comcast. I actually don't know what the "rated" speed is. I called once to find out, and the non-English-speaking support gal give me four or five different answers. :D

----------

If you get this particular router, the supplied name for the second WiFi channel will not work with your 5S unless you change its name. Dunno why.

I called Netgear about this and with a good tech guy we explored and discovered that we had to change the Name (SSID) of the 5GHz network and that let us connect successfully to my iPhone5S.

Sparticu$

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009

I recently purchased the Netgear Nighthawk "R7000" and it's a beast. I get wifi everywhere even at my neighbors house.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
With that kind of speed, I have a dumb question... your webpages shows INSTANTLY correct?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
With that kind of speed, I have a dumb question... your webpages shows INSTANTLY correct?

Nope.

It really makes a big difference in things like movie downloads, VOIP, FaceTime, etc. Most web pages have a pretty small amount of content and the time is take up by overhead. I can dowload an 8gb movie in 10-15 minutes, but MacRumors is no faster than ever.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Here's a screen shot of how my *wired* iMac does...pretty much the same as the WiFi connected iPhone but with only 9 ms of PING.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 4.06.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-04 at 4.06.59 PM.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 190

Daytona 360

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
I had a similar experience with an older router (Linksys WRT610N).

I had 25/5 before with Comcast, and my router gives me 22/5 over WiFi, which I thought was perfectly normal.

Then Comcast upgraded the speed for all plans, and I got switched to 50/10. I reset my cable modem, and ran the speed test again. Still shows 22/5 over WiFi. I called Comcast and they said my apartment building has old wiring, and probably that's why. I didn't push for a further explanation.

A couple months back there were deals on cable modems (I was (stupidly) renting one from Comcast). I bought my own, and went to set it up. During the setup I need to plug my laptop directly to the cable modem. After the modem is installed I ran a speed test.

I got 50/10.

I was like "?!". I immediately setup my WiFi router again, and connect my laptop to WiFi. Ran a speed test and it showed 25/5. I plug my laptop to the router directly and I got 50/10.

So I am pretty sure the WiFi is causing the speed drop. I was using custom firmware (DD-WRT) on the Linksys and I thought I need a newer firmware, but I decided to tweak the WiFI settings a bit first.

[Disclaimer: Tweaking WiFi setting on your router improperly can cause performance decrease and dropped connections. Loading a custom firmware on your modem can turn your modem into a brick if you are not careful. You have been warned.]

I tried turning up the TX power on the antenna, increase the channel width, manually set the transmit rate. None helped.

Then I noticed one setting in the help file:

Frame Burst
The default value is Disabled. Frame burst allows packet bursting which will increase overall network speed though this is only recommended for approx 1-3 wireless clients, Anymore clients and there can be a negative result and throughput will be affected.

I turned the setting on, and I got 50/10 over WiFi. I usually don't have a lot of WiFi clients on at the same time, so that worked out for me. My guess is your new Netgear R6300 has frame burst enabled, or they have come up with a better implementation of the TX/RX algorithms.

iWooz

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
Wow, that's some impressing speed. What's your connection technology? My DSL doesn't offer more than 16MBps...

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Is FaceTime like crystal clear, 60 fps quality? Assuming the other side also on high speed.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
As I said above, I bought the same router. I attached a screen shot of my wired speeds and a screen shot of the speed tests done on my phone using the speedtest app.

The 101.60 and 97.51 shows how much apple has tweaked the 'N' download speed on the 5S. The 55.39 is LTE and the remainder is wireless 'G'.

Attachments

• phone.PNG
    phone.PNG
    501.7 KB · Views: 181
  • wired.PNG
    wired.PNG
    52.8 KB · Views: 171

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
As I said above, I bought the same router. I attached a screen shot of my wired speeds and a screen shot of the speed tests done on my phone using the speedtest app.

The 101.60 and 97.51 shows how much apple has tweaked the 'N' download speed on the 5S. The 55.39 is LTE and the remainder is wireless 'G'.

Are you invoking any special settings on the router? Those are fantastic speeds.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Are you invoking any special settings on the router? Those are fantastic speeds.

I have Ultra 101, which I get consistently high speedtest numbers. I didn't tweak the router...however...

I downloaded and used the Genie app on my laptop, which obviously has a wireless connection. I chose a channel for N and G that was free from my neighbors. Obviously my neighbors used the default settings as I was able to find an empty N channel.

On the 5ghz channel I used 157, which was empty and set the speed to 600 since I don't have an AC card. On the 2.4 ghz channel I set the speed to 217. I also enabled 20/40 coexistence on the router, which is important. And although I'm sure you know this using WPA2-PSK(AES) yields the best speed and the most security.

I also disabled router's pin, which has nothing to do with the speeds. All other settings are basic stock.

The speedtest was a little cooked in that I stacked the cards by being 10 feet from the router and not "across the street". But it does show that apple really tweaked the performance of the 5ghz band.

rlb4

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
[/COLOR]If you get this particular router, the supplied name for the second WiFi channel will not work with your 5S unless you change its name. Dunno why.

I called Netgear about this and with a good tech guy we explored and discovered that we had to change the Name (SSID) of the 5GHz network and that let us connect successfully to my iPhone5S.

Does it just have to be changed to anything other than the default name? Can the 5s connect to the 5 GHz frequency?

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Does it just have to be changed to anything other than the default name? Can the 5s connect to the 5 GHz frequency?

Yes, just change it to anything other than the default. I renamed the channel NetgearSuperFast.

The 5S connects just fine to the faster channel.

rlb4

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
Yes, just change it to anything other than the default. I renamed the channel NetgearSuperFast.

The 5S connects just fine to the faster channel.

So I could name it 5G and then manually connect to it like any other hidden SSID?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
That's a commercial connection right? Not some residential service?.. That's crazy.
No, that's my home connection.

Tennessee. $50/mo = fiber 100/100mbps.

edit:; not 50. Thought 50 for internet only, maybe used to be. $128 TV+HBO+100/100 package.

----------

That's a commercial connection right? Not some residential service?.. That's crazy.

An extra $12-20/mo gets 1000/1000... but what's the point *shrug*.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
No, that's my home connection.

Tennessee. $50/mo = fiber 100/100mbps.

edit:; not 50. Thought 50 for internet only, maybe used to be. $128 TV+HBO+100/100 package.

----------

An extra $12-20/mo gets 1000/1000... but what's the point *shrug*.

lol that is depressing I don't want to talk about my home connection that I pay the same amount for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.