Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Well call me skeptical, but I have never seen the need for heat spreaders for the memory chips in my mac pro. It is common for performance memory for PC's to have heat spreaders built in. This is because PC systems are used by enthusiasts and high performance usually means high heat for the main components.

The Mac Pro uses server grade memory (high quality with built in error checking), and this is usually not over clocked so heat spreaders are not usually needed.

However, with the way I use my Mac Pro (lots of video converting and graphical work), the memory chips do run around 58-60 degrees.

They arrived in a nice easy open blister package. Fitting was simple enough as they come pre-prepared with adhesive thermal tape on them. I stuck one on each side of my memory chips (some are single sided and some double sided). Re-inserted them in the Mac Pro and switched on.

For comparison I only fitted the heat spreaders to two of my four chips. I ran up the system and started some transcoding (converting video files from one format to another). The results surprised me!

The un-treated chips ran at 61 and 57 degrees, yet the fitted ones are holding steady at 44 degrees. Thats a HUGE difference in terms of temperature inside a computer that is very busy.

Fitting the second set (so that all four memory chips were being cooled) resulted in even better performance. 40 degrees stable across all four DDR3-1333 ECC DIMM's!

Overall I must say this is a quality product. Nicely packaged, easy to install and they do exactly what the packet says.

10/10 from me :)

You can get these most from PC components shops, and amazon.

Very pleased with these (and has spurred me into looking for a Northbridge cooler for the Mac Pro now, so I shall let you all know how it performs).

Attachments

• Inside2.png
    Inside2.png
    935.8 KB · Views: 1,366
  • Inside1.png
    Inside1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 800
  • rc_pro_g03.png
    rc_pro_g03.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 280

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
If the memory was running well within is recommended operating temperatures and not even close to reaching the ceiling why would you feel the need to make adjustments?

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
For the same reason that people alter things like the suspension on their cars or upgrade their speaker cables... it makes them feel good that they have done it even if there is no measurable effect in performance

Running a little cooler won't really affect how long the RAM will last or how stable the machine is if it well within specification but it makes him feel happier so it is worth it on that score.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
There are benefits that you can hardly notice, but by lowering the operating temperature results to lower fan RPM... lower fan RPM less energy used.

And besides if it makes him happier, whom are we to question that?

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
ECC RAM does get warm.

The DDR2 800MHz ECC RAM modules in my Mac Pro 3,1 have full length heat spreaders fitted as standard. Even with them the temps for my RAM under load are high, 70-80ºc. Without the fins they would be dangerously near to their heat limits and even with the reduction in temperature from the spreaders I have had 2 sticks fail in the last 5 years. By comparison my Xeon CPU temps are about 50-55ºc, numbers I like much more as the cooler the chip, the faster it can run.
Heat is the enemy, it shortens the lifespan of components and reduces performance over time.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
If the memory was running well within is recommended operating temperatures and not even close to reaching the ceiling why would you feel the need to make adjustments?

One possible benefit is that by lowering the temps of the RAM, it can also help reduce the heat on other components.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
And besides if it makes him happier, whom are we to question that?

Yes it made me a happy girl indeed

Heat is the enemy, it shortens the lifespan of components and reduces performance over time.

Indeed - anything that could potentially increase the lifespan of my mac is good.

Admitedly I would never have thought about buying something like this, but I managed to blag a set for review, and having seen the effect they have, I am more than pleased with them.

And having looked for them online - they retail for about £9 so its a small price to help my system keep cooler.

Last edited:

costabunny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Yes it made me a happy girl indeed

Indeed - anything that could potentially increase the lifespan of my mac is good.

Admitedly I would never have thought about buying something like this, but I managed to blag a set for review, and having seen the effect they have, I am more than pleased with them.

And having looked for them online - they retail for about £9 so its a small price to help my system keep cooler.

I have 4 x 8GB DDR3-1333 ECC matched Samsung's (32GB)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.