Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

googlewallet.jpg
Google Wallet for iOS today received its first update following its initial September release. Version 2.0 of the app adds a new feature that allows people to use the iPhone's camera to snap pictures of credit cards and debit cards, entering information like card number and expiration date into the app automatically.

The app has been updated to support single sign-on, letting app users who have other single sign-on Google apps installed sign in to Google Wallet automatically. The physical Google Wallet Card can also now be used to withdraw iOS Wallet money at ATMs or spend money at locations that accept MasterCard.
- Instantly sign on to Wallet if you use other Google iOS apps supporting single sign on
- Add a credit/debit card just by taking a picture. Both the number and expiration date will be captured automatically.
- Use the Google Wallet Card to spend your Wallet Balance at millions of MasterCard® locations or withdraw cash at any ATM
Google Wallet can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Wallet for iOS Updated With Single Sign-On, Card Adding via Camera

iLoveiTunes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
neat app but for whatever reason it's not capturing the card numbers correct (and neither the exp. dates). Anyone tips on doing it right ?

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Is Macrumors being hacked again? Site not working properly.

EDIT: Only for a couple of minutes, but these sort of things never happened before this whole hacking thing...

Last edited:

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
If you have a need for it, use it. If not, don't use it. At least the option is there - now the decision is up to the user.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Google started creeping me out a few years ago, what with all the info they had from search, maps, ads, and email. A few months ago, when they decided they'd start turning the avatars of people I know into spokespeople for ads, I decided I'd had enough of them.

It's not an overnight progress, but most of my email is now done through my own server now, I've shifted entirely to Dropbox now, I use iCloud instead of Docs. iAd instead of AdSense. Apple Maps instead of Google Maps. Tumblr instead of their blog service. When I have more time, I'll migrate my support websites from Google to my own server, too. About the only thing I still do through Google is Search and Translate... And I use Chrome when I'm not on OS X.

I tried using search alternatives but none of them even come close to being as good as Google. I don't use Translate or Chrome often enough for those to worry me.

Letting Google be involved with my money is the absolute last thing I'd ever want to do. I don't even want banks to have my money - as much as possible I keep my money in credit unions.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Letting Google be involved with my money is the absolute last thing I'd ever want to do. I don't even want banks to have my money - as much as possible I keep my money in credit unions.

I agree with the Google thing.

But, a Credit Union is still a bank for practical purposes.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I trust Google to keep my information safe from hackers.

I don't want to depend on Google as much as the next person, but honestly, there is no one out there that has the ability to do so. I've been using Gmail since the beginning, and have never, ever, ever run into issues. I remember logging into AOL one day in 2001 and seeing my inbox littered from 1,000+ messages of pure SPAM after being away on a trip for a week. I've never had that happen with my Gmail account.

Fight Google's policies, but don't put your information in the hands of a company that couldn't prevent a huge hack from taking place. Security matters most than advertising practices. And honestly, if Google was as bad as everyone is making it out to be, then more companies besides Apple and Microsoft would be going on about it.

And I say that as someone who has gotten their Adobe account information accessed, their Evernote information compromised, their Yahoo details leaked, among other services. In result, people tried to access my Apple ID to do more damage. And it absolutely had nothing to do with weak passwords. I could have been that reporter who got his entire Mac wiped off.

I just got the Google Wallet card the other day. It's really interesting to see that all the card numbers and expiration dates are on the back, versus the front. It makes me feel more easy about keeping it in one of those attachable card holders you can get for smartphones and our other gadgets now.

The app is pretty good. I'm very impressed with how instant everything is considering that my bank and credit card company take a few moments for things to kick in. I enjoy the alert of when something doesn't go through, when a transaction occurs, and when (if pending) it completes. It's miles beyond the other systems in place already.

I hope they give us some perks in the next month or so. Would really like a 5% to 10% off deal. The more places that get onboard their loyalty program, the better! :D

Some cards lately are using different formats. The expiration dates on mine vary, some have them with the start and end date, and then there's the ones with just the end date. That probably confuses their backend that processes it.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
This would be great in the UK. You'd only need to carry one card with you.

Yup, there was talk back in October that Google may be preparing to offer it. The biggest hurdle will be getting shops involved. Most are heavily invested in proprietary systems, and the smaller shops reply on Protx type providers, who are the ones who say what cards and services they are compatible with.

Even the NFC readers on the chip and pin machines seem pretty picky about cards and providers.

Last edited by a moderator:

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I looked forward to replacing my PayPal card with Google Wallet card.

Alas, I'll be sticking with PayPal for now.

Unlike PayPal card, Google doesn't let you make purchases with no money in the wallet.

Stupid.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
If I were a hacker...

If I was a poor hacker from China, Russia you name it place. I would get bunch of other hackers and focus on cracking these digital wallets from Google, Apple and whom ever.

I can only imagine the rich pay pay once I crack this :D:D:D:D:D

There's no system that's safe, especially when the prize is so rich.

Renzatic

Suspended
Agree 100%. I refuse to use any Google products at this point. Too evil for my liking.

Yeah, I used to think people were being a little too heavy with the embellishment when it came to Google, and their evil ways. But when I saw G-Cloud Civil Reeducation Platform, and Google Online Ethnic Cleansing Calendar, even I had to blanch at their dastardly deeds.

Do no evil, right, Schmidt? :mad:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If I was a poor hacker from China, Russia you name it place. I would get bunch of other hackers and focus on cracking these digital wallets from Google, Apple and whom ever.

I can only imagine the rich pay pay once I crack this :D:D:D:D:D

There's no system that's safe, especially when the prize is so rich.

You want to keep it small, though. If you do too much, two bad things will happen:
1 - You'll put a bigger bounty on yourself.
2 - You'll scare away victims who would otherwise be unsuspecting.

Getting hired by the CIA or NSA would probably be a safer route. The organization as a whole gets caught for hacking - the individuals get off scotch free (except maybe the head of the organization.)

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
I would never contribute or have anything to do with this information harvester.

***** Google.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I tried using search alternatives but none of them even come close to being as good as Google. I don't use Translate or Chrome often enough for those to worry me.

It can't do image searches, but DuckDuckGo is my general search engine of choice.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It can't do image searches, but DuckDuckGo is my general search engine of choice.

Thanks for that - I've added the plugin. Unfortunately it doesn't integrate with Safari's existing search field, so I'm skeptical I'll actually use it.

Also, it's quite cluttered looking... they need to space and color their results page better.

Oh, never mind, I guess they did replace my search engine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.