Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:23 PM   #1
colocolo
macrumors 6502

Song Finder Widget

A friend and I where singing part of a song we liked today, but we couldn't recall what the name of the song was, which was a problem as we wanted to buy it from iTMS.

After looking the song up, we decided there should be a widget to do this easily; so, we began working on a side project, building one ourselves.

We started building a lyrics database where you could search a verse and the possible songs would pop up; then we made a widget that could make use of it. We had never made a widget before, so we didn't exactly make state-of-the-art coding, but it gets the job done.

Well, this is the result of a slow day at work

Remember it is still a work in progress and we won't have much time to work on it. Also remember we are both engineers, and the widget is in dire need of a designer!

Well, I hope you guys enjoy it and find it useful.

Any comments/suggestions are more than welcome.

http://www.innovadev.cl/products/dow...hp?prodid=3663

Currently, we have almost 5k songs in there, and are working in getting some more and/or creating an easy way for the users to upload the lyrics.
colocolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 02:15 AM   #2
EricNau

Don't make it transparent.

The enter/return key should be able to initiate the search, you shouldn't have to hit the "search" button. (Some people like me are very lasy and don't want an extra click.)

It's a little unclear to me; do you search for the lyrics to the song, or by song title, or artist, etc. ?
I tried typing in several things (very few cam back with results). I tried clicking on a result (the little white arrow key) and it brought me to an iTunes page saying "no results."
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 07:48 AM   #3
colocolo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNau
Don't make it transparent.

The enter/return key should be able to initiate the search, you shouldn't have to hit the "search" button. (Some people like me are very lasy and don't want an extra click.)

It's a little unclear to me; do you search for the lyrics to the song, or by song title, or artist, etc. ?
I tried typing in several things (very few cam back with results). I tried clicking on a result (the little white arrow key) and it brought me to an iTunes page saying "no results."

I didn't try to make it transparent, its just the first thing that came out in my attempt to create a background and I didn't put much though in it...bear in mind I still draw a person as a circle with a stick, and I'm 29 . I have no artistic abilities whatsoever.

The return key thing annoys me as well, I will try to fix it today. I actually used most of the time building a parser to download the lyrics, and didn't spend much building the interface.

And the search is strictly by lyrics, because if you knew the artist or the name of the song, you wouldn't need the widget There are only 5k songs in the database currently, so there are more misses than hits. I am working on getting more, probably there'll be like 10k songs by the end of today.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:43 AM   #4
mjstew33
macrumors 601

It's OK. Yeah, it needs more songs, 5 songs I tried didn't work. Post when a new rev is available.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 02:49 PM   #5
colocolo
macrumors 6502

Well, we've added around 100 songs today so far (we're up to 4808).

We also made a product page for the widget, and built a new version of the widget where the return key works as expected.

http://www.innovadev.cl/products/findatune/
Old Dec 20, 2005, 02:55 PM   #6
EricNau

Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
Well, we've added around 100 songs today so far (we're up to 4808).

We also made a product page for the widget, and built a new version of the widget where the return key works as expected.

http://www.innovadev.cl/products/findatune/
Getting closer, but still needs a ton more songs.

And the search button has a little white around it. Have you considered vector based graphics?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 05:13 PM   #7
colocolo
macrumors 6502

The song issue is getting solved as we speak.
Currently we have 19,805 songs uploaded.

We expect to hit 30k by tomorrow.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 05:19 PM   #8
EricNau

Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
The song issue is getting solved as we speak.
Currently we have 19,805 songs uploaded.

We expect to hit 30k by tomorrow.
How are you doing it that fast?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 05:23 PM   #9
colocolo
macrumors 6502

I am amazed as well by the speed the parser is working...I even deleted the songs with blank lyrics!
We are getting around 80 songs per minute, though we stopped for a while (there is a manual process involved to partially choose the groups that are getting uploaded)

Last edited by colocolo; Dec 20, 2005 at 05:42 PM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod