Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
How do you become a millionaire? This is 100% serious and original advice that I hope helps someone on here.

Drop the parts of your life that don't have to do with business! What do I mean? Quit that 40-hour+ job (or get a part-time position), devote less time to friends/relationships, and don't focus on school. (That 4.0 GPA won't help you create your own business, but it'll look good if you want a 9-5 job.)

Even if you have to live with your buddy or your parents!

Personally, I'm going to keep trying business ventures until one sticks. Eventually you'll make enough to live off of, even if the first year isn't a million-dollar year.

The second you start a family and accept a 9-5 job is the second you lose any chance at becoming more than the average Joe.

Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
If you sacrifice your family for money, you made a bad deal.

Not the point. I said when you start a family, not to ignore the one you have. You can't focus on a new business if you have to support a new family.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Happy ness does not come from your bank balance. When you get to a certain age and you see all your friends with 9-5 jobs have family's and there own place, you will regret your decision.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I disagree that starting a family means that you are doomed to mediocrity and poverty.

Most people are statistically. Nothing wrong with it but I'm trying to give advice on focusing on starting a successful business. A small amount do create businesses still but when you're working 40+ hour weeks and spending the rest of your time with a wife and baby then you don't have time for another business.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Throwing yourself at hours and hours of work based solely on your determination of its ability to make you lots of money is like choosing a tiger as your workout partner for a triathlon.

Also, where does posting on a forum fit into your business model? Do you by chance have a book and 15 CDs I can buy to hear more?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Money is EVERYTHING!

Don't let these bleeding hearts (probably a bunch of Liberals...you know how they are!) put you off your goal.

Remember...with money you can buy love and a family.

Well, it can buy you love.

Well...it can buy you sex...and who needs that other stuff - it just drags you down.

And absent that...your money will bring warmth and companionship in your old age.

Go for it...at all costs.

:rolleyes:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
How about some proof that it is being dragged down by starting a family.

Once you start a family you don't have the same amount of time if you want your own business. They can motivate you but you have a more realistic shot with more free time.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Once you start a family you don't have the same amount of time if you want your own business. They can motivate you but you have a more realistic shot with more free time.

What if your business is starting families? Look at all of those successful Mormons with multiple families on TV. There's a relatively untapped business.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Throwing yourself at hours and hours of work based solely on your determination of its ability to make you lots of money is like choosing a tiger as your workout partner for a triathlon.

Also, where does posting on a forum fit into your business model? Do you by chance have a book and 15 CDs I can buy to hear more?

No because I'm not going to semi-scam my way into making money lol. Just trying to see if it inspires anyone else.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Save 20% of your paycheck every time and shove it into an interest bearing savings account. don't forget about your employer's retirement plans!

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
A simple "no" would have been sufficient.:rolleyes:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-balance-entrepreneur-and-family-lifestyles-2011-5

"I know some entrepreneurs with successful businesses, and others who seem to have a great relationship with their family, but I can’t think of many who have both. Some people would argue that these two successes are mutually exclusive, but I’m not convinced."

"Most people consider entrepreneurship as a lifestyle, rather than a job. Being married is a lifestyle, and raising a family is a lifestyle. Recognize that it’s harder to balance two lifestyles than it is balance a job with your real lifestyle."

Not sure there was ever a survey...

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Save 20% of your paycheck every time and shove it into an interest bearing savings account. don't forget about your employer's retirement plans!

Can't you read man!?! According to MICHAELSD the advice you are giving is dooming everyone to a life of mediocrity and poverty!

How do you become a millionaire? This is 100% serious and original advice that I hope helps someone on here.

Drop the parts of your life that don't have to do with business! What do I mean? Quit that 40-hour+ job (or get a part-time position), devote less time to friends/relationships, and don't focus on school. (That 4.0 GPA won't help you create your own business, but it'll look good if you want a 9-5 job.)

Even if you have to live with your buddy or your parents!

Personally, I'm going to keep trying business ventures until one sticks. Eventually you'll make enough to live off of, even if the first year isn't a million-dollar year.

The second you start a family and accept a 9-5 job is the second you lose any chance at becoming more than the average Joe.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-balance-entrepreneur-and-family-lifestyles-2011-5

"I know some entrepreneurs with successful businesses, and others who seem to have a great relationship with their family, but I can’t think of many who have both. Some people would argue that these two successes are mutually exclusive, but I’m not convinced."

Not using the url or quote buttons to save time on posting. You're a time management master. Do you do consultations?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

"Most people consider entrepreneurship as a lifestyle, rather than a job. Being married is a lifestyle, and raising a family is a lifestyle. Recognize that it’s harder to balance two lifestyles than it is balance a job with your real lifestyle."

Did you even read what you quoted?:rolleyes:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
To be honest, the best way to become a millionaire, is to find someone who is a millionaire, who made their fortune honestly, without sacrificing their integrity or character, find out how they made their fortune, and do what they did. There are plenty of examples and models to go off of, so it all rests in the eye of the beholder.

However, as others said, happiness isn't just based on your bank sheet alone. A lot of people who made their fortunes took a long time to do it, and indeed did sacrifice their time and families to do so. They really aren't happy, because they lost way too much more than they gained.

Additionally, just because one may have that type of fortune, does not mean they have the wealth thinking to go along with it to KEEP their fortune. Think of how many principles you'd learn and know to keep what you have just by reading a book like The Richest Man in Babylon.

And to be honest, Money isn't what you want. Well, yes it is, but that is only part of the equation. If money is what you want, remember the lessons of Midas. Plus, once you have it, will you have the time to enjoy it, or your family?

What you want, and honestly what I want is wealth. Wealth = Time + Money. A lot of people end up thinking that you can have one, but not the other; sacrifice your time to get the money, and when you have it, realize that your time is gone (your time here is limited anyway), or sacrifice the money to have your time, but end up being poor the entire time.

So Rich and alone, or poor with nothing. Sad choice to make, unless you can find a way to earn true wealth, which is to have the money constantly coming in, but also have your time as well. Once you have a way to get that, then you'll have the wealth you're looking for.

BL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.