Apple Tops Dell as Most Sought After Desktop Computers - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2013, 02:42 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Tops Dell as Most Sought After Desktop Computers

According to new a survey done by market research firm Parks Associates (via CNET), Apple desktops have become the most sought after desktop computers this holiday season, beating out longtime holiday desktop leader Dell and other competitors such as HP and Acer. This marks the first time that Apple products have taken the top spot in the history of the survey, as the company was ranked 3rd in the category in 2011 and 2nd in 2012. The Apple TV also remained at the top spot for the most sought after streaming media device, topping the Roku TV.

Quote:
"Apple topped the list of intended brands for desktop purchases for the first time this year," said John Barrett, director, Consumer Analytics, Parks Associates. "In 2011 and 2012, Dell was the top desktop brand, but Apple has displaced it, making Apple now the most popular brand across even more key CE categories."
Apple quietly updated the iMac this past September with Intel's Haswell processors and faster PCI-Express based flash storage, which followed a major design revision to the desktop in 2012 that brought a thinner and lighter design. The company also currently sells its lower-priced Mac Mini and is getting ready to launch the high-end Mac Pro sometime in December, with a German retailer stating a possible availability date of Monday, December 16.

Article Link: Apple Tops Dell as Most Sought After Desktop Computers
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 02:48 AM   #2
Persian Apple
macrumors newbie

Congratulations
Persian Apple is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 02:48 AM   #3
Negritude
macrumors regular

It's always so nice and rare to see Mac related news on this site. Thank you.
Negritude is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 02:50 AM   #4
Redneck1089
macrumors 6502a

Ugh, disappointing.

I hope the new Mac Pro flops for being a limited and completely disposable design that's way over priced.
Redneck1089 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 02:52 AM   #5
Laucian Nailor
macrumors member

If intention turns into actual orders it sounds as if it could be a good Christmas season for Mac
Old Dec 5, 2013, 02:57 AM   #6
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Apple.....

is light-years in distance from Dell, IMO, in quality and OS in computers offered. The thing is, DELL makes decent computers, with lowest price.......

Old Dec 5, 2013, 02:58 AM   #7
needfx
macrumors 68000

sought after, then somewhat let down with the price range
needfx is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 03:06 AM   #8
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Except that they did not update the Mac mini this year.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 03:06 AM   #9
drevilcn
macrumors newbie

apple is doing everything right it seems.
even friends of mine did buy imacs lately, even though they dont do anything else than browsing the web with it.

waste of money if you ask me, but if it makes them happy....it sure makes apple happy
drevilcn is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 03:07 AM   #10
philstubbington
macrumors member

"Sought after" doesn't translate into sales.

This doesn't translate remotely into sales.

See http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjon...top-3-vendors/ for example. An estimate of 4.4 million Macs compared to around 14 million from Lenevo, 14 million from HP and 9.5 million from HP.
philstubbington is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 03:09 AM   #11
hrishidev
macrumors regular

Good to see Mac desktop related news after long time. I am wishing Apple to come up with something innovative for desktop computers like home automation, surveillance etc with iOS integration. Currently desktop computers innovations going nowhere. One Mac per house =more money for Apple.

Btw, Hoping to see Mac Pro do really really well. I do remember in Phil Schiller's mention of "next decade" while unavailing at WWDC. So Mac Pro should be available in market till 2023
Old Dec 5, 2013, 03:14 AM   #12
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Good deal.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 03:23 AM   #13
sir1963nz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck1089 View Post
Ugh, disappointing.

I hope the new Mac Pro flops for being a limited and completely disposable design that's way over priced.
Try taking the current/old Mac pro on a plane.

New Mac Pro + external Thunderbolt raid array = more processing power, more storage, significantly less weight/space.
sir1963nz is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 03:34 AM   #14
cptdavep
macrumors newbie

The biggest slice of a tiny pie
cptdavep is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 03:34 AM   #15
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
sought after, then somewhat let down with the price range
You could say that.

Then again, I would say the same thing about buying a ferrari.

Which leds on to my point, in that and expression of intention is not a purchase. Last years figures for PC sales (not Tablets etc and also reported by MR) showed that, in actual sales Dell was well ahead, but with Dell's growth shrinking back by -16.5% and Apple growing by 5.4%.

I would be interested to see if this survey of intention will show a shift in end of year figures. Especially when we are seeing that cheaper alternatives are winning the sale battles, over more expensive items in the iDevices markets.

For example, cheaper and reasonably functioning Android devices over iDevices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gartner_4Q12_us.png
Views:	52
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	450324  
Old Dec 5, 2013, 03:49 AM   #16
roadbloc
macrumors 604

If I bought a Mac Pro, I'd honestly use it as an ashtray. And a computer of course.

And as for Dell... who on Earth wanted their desktops before?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 03:59 AM   #17
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Except that they did not update the Mac mini this year.
Not yet, at least. Let's hope for a stealth Christmas update in conjunction with the launch of the new Mac Pro.
Abazigal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 04:02 AM   #18
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Dude, you're getting a Mac.
Thumb resize.

Last edited by Giuly; Dec 5, 2013 at 04:12 AM.
Giuly is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 04:08 AM   #19
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuly View Post
dude, you're getting a mac.
Thumb resize.
That funny.
lolkthxbai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 04:10 AM   #20
Mr-Kerrse
macrumors 6502

So many Apple haters, i got to ask why do you even use an mac forum
Old Dec 5, 2013, 04:13 AM   #21
MH01
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir1963nz View Post
Try taking the current/old Mac pro on a plane.

New Mac Pro + external Thunderbolt raid array = more processing power, more storage, significantly less weight/space.
Try a laptop

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
If I bought a Mac Pro, I'd honestly use it as an ashtray. And a computer of course.

Given Apple desktops are so affordable ..... Probably most people who needed a desktop , looked at dell.
MH01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 04:15 AM   #22
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post

Who? Try more people wanting dells than Macs. Secondly, look at dell sales vs. Mac. Everyone wants a Porsche but they buy Volkswagon.
Klae17 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 04:29 AM   #23
shaunp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevilcn View Post
apple is doing everything right it seems.
even friends of mine did buy imacs lately, even though they dont do anything else than browsing the web with it.

waste of money if you ask me, but if it makes them happy....it sure makes apple happy
No they are not. They make too many compromises with hardware to make things look cool. I have a 3000 laptop (rMBP) that doesn't have an ethernet port. I want a powerful laptop not a one that's a little bit thinner. The same goes for the Mac Pro - aimed too much at graphics professionals. What happens if I want less graphics and more CPU? I might want to use it as a VM lab.

There is also the huge gap between the mini and the mac pro - 2000 difference for the base models. A gap that isn't filled by the iMac for those of us that don't want an all in one.

People buy Dell/HP/Lenovo/DIY because the Apple product set is too limited for many professionals, and a lot of consumers can't afford them/don't value them.
shaunp is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 04:36 AM   #24
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsan View Post
is light-years in distance from Dell, IMO, in quality and OS in computers offered. The thing is, DELL makes decent computers, with lowest price.......
Which doesn't really matter, because most people have a computer, they only replace it with something that will work better, and the decent + low priced Dell computer won't be any better than the computer they already have, so why buy one? And I know there are many posters here claiming again and again that the USA are a third world country where people can't afford an iMac, but (a) I doubt that and (b) I know that people in Europe have enough money to buy Macs.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 04:37 AM   #25
osofast240sx
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck1089 View Post
Ugh, disappointing.

Overpriced for who???? Go make money!
osofast240sx is offline   23 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion