Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to new a survey done by market research firm Parks Associates (via CNET), Apple desktops have become the most sought after desktop computers this holiday season, beating out longtime holiday desktop leader Dell and other competitors such as HP and Acer. This marks the first time that Apple products have taken the top spot in the history of the survey, as the company was ranked 3rd in the category in 2011 and 2nd in 2012. The Apple TV also remained at the top spot for the most sought after streaming media device, topping the Roku TV.

mac_desktops_2013-800x536.jpg
"Apple topped the list of intended brands for desktop purchases for the first time this year," said John Barrett, director, Consumer Analytics, Parks Associates. "In 2011 and 2012, Dell was the top desktop brand, but Apple has displaced it, making Apple now the most popular brand across even more key CE categories."
Apple quietly updated the iMac this past September with Intel's Haswell processors and faster PCI-Express based flash storage, which followed a major design revision to the desktop in 2012 that brought a thinner and lighter design. The company also currently sells its lower-priced Mac Mini and is getting ready to launch the high-end Mac Pro sometime in December, with a German retailer stating a possible availability date of Monday, December 16.

Article Link: Apple Tops Dell as Most Sought After Desktop Computers

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Ugh, disappointing.

I hope the new Mac Pro flops for being a limited and completely disposable design that's way over priced.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Apple.....

is light-years in distance from Dell, IMO, in quality and OS in computers offered. The thing is, DELL makes decent computers, with lowest price.......

:):apple:

drevilcn

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2013
china
apple is doing everything right it seems.
even friends of mine did buy imacs lately, even though they dont do anything else than browsing the web with it.

waste of money if you ask me, but if it makes them happy....it sure makes apple happy

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
Good to see Mac desktop related news after long time. I am wishing Apple to come up with something innovative for desktop computers like home automation, surveillance etc with iOS integration. Currently desktop computers innovations going nowhere. One Mac per house =more money for Apple.

Btw, Hoping to see Mac Pro do really really well. I do remember in Phil Schiller's mention of "next decade" while unavailing at WWDC. So Mac Pro should be available in market till 2023 :apple:

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
Ugh, disappointing.

I hope the new Mac Pro flops for being a limited and completely disposable design that's way over priced.

Try taking the current/old Mac pro on a plane.

New Mac Pro + external Thunderbolt raid array = more processing power, more storage, significantly less weight/space.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
sought after, then somewhat let down with the price range :D

You could say that.

Then again, I would say the same thing about buying a ferrari. ;)

Which leds on to my point, in that and expression of intention is not a purchase. Last years figures for PC sales (not Tablets etc and also reported by MR) showed that, in actual sales Dell was well ahead, but with Dell's growth shrinking back by -16.5% and Apple growing by 5.4%.

I would be interested to see if this survey of intention will show a shift in end of year figures. Especially when we are seeing that cheaper alternatives are winning the sale battles, over more expensive items in the iDevices markets.

For example, cheaper and reasonably functioning Android devices over iDevices.

Attachments

• gartner_4Q12_us.png
    gartner_4Q12_us.png
    27 KB · Views: 247

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
If I bought a Mac Pro, I'd honestly use it as an ashtray. And a computer of course.

And as for Dell... who on Earth wanted their desktops before?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Try taking the current/old Mac pro on a plane.

New Mac Pro + external Thunderbolt raid array = more processing power, more storage, significantly less weight/space.

Try a laptop ;)

----------

If I bought a Mac Pro, I'd honestly use it as an ashtray. And a computer of course.

Given Apple desktops are so affordable ..... Probably most people who needed a desktop , looked at dell.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011

Who? Try more people wanting dells than Macs. Secondly, look at dell sales vs. Mac. Everyone wants a Porsche but they buy Volkswagon.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
apple is doing everything right it seems.
even friends of mine did buy imacs lately, even though they dont do anything else than browsing the web with it.

waste of money if you ask me, but if it makes them happy....it sure makes apple happy

No they are not. They make too many compromises with hardware to make things look cool. I have a £3000 laptop (rMBP) that doesn't have an ethernet port. I want a powerful laptop not a one that's a little bit thinner. The same goes for the Mac Pro - aimed too much at graphics professionals. What happens if I want less graphics and more CPU? I might want to use it as a VM lab.

There is also the huge gap between the mini and the mac pro - £2000 difference for the base models. A gap that isn't filled by the iMac for those of us that don't want an all in one.

People buy Dell/HP/Lenovo/DIY because the Apple product set is too limited for many professionals, and a lot of consumers can't afford them/don't value them.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
is light-years in distance from Dell, IMO, in quality and OS in computers offered. The thing is, DELL makes decent computers, with lowest price.......

Which doesn't really matter, because most people have a computer, they only replace it with something that will work better, and the decent + low priced Dell computer won't be any better than the computer they already have, so why buy one? And I know there are many posters here claiming again and again that the USA are a third world country where people can't afford an iMac, but (a) I doubt that and (b) I know that people in Europe have enough money to buy Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.